• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Irony of High-Rise Trousers

The Louche V2

Reaction score
My high-rise chinos and odd trousers* tend to fall down around my hips, where most pants (such as mid-rise chinos) naturally ride on me. This phenomenon makes the benefit of a higher rise moot and the crotch ride low.

I have a very slight belly. I’d wager any day that it’s smaller than the average American’s. But that belly seems to be enough to prevent a high-rise waist from sitting where it’s intended to sit.

Because of these factors, it seems that mid-rise trousers wear with an effectively higher rise.

Does anyone else experience this reality?

*I am not interested in discussing classically cut, fishback trousers worn with braces. Those are a different ball of wax.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wifey cured me of high rise trousers. She would comment very negatively on the first few pair I tried so I gave them up.

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know a fellow who suffers your sartorial malady and found the solution (or rather his tailor did) in having this rubberized strip installed inside the waistband.

Attachments

• CD7F49E3-8A15-4D94-8378-4E78DB4A5179.jpeg
    CD7F49E3-8A15-4D94-8378-4E78DB4A5179.jpeg
    16.4 KB · Views: 303

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wifey cured me of high rise trousers. She would comment very negatively on the first few pair I tried so I gave them up.
If you want to be fashionable, let women be your guide, for that is where their sartorial strengths lie. If, on the other hand, you wish to develop a personal style, then women should not be listened to.

Last edited:

The Louche V2

Reaction score
I know a fellow who suffers your sartorial malady and found the solution (or rather his tailor did) in having this rubberized strip installed inside the waistband.
I have lots of experience with rubber waistband strips. They wouldn’t fix this problem. They also degrade.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want to be fashionable, let women be your guide, for that is where their sartorial strengths lie. If, on the other hand, you wish to develop a personal style, then women should not be listened to.
Crossed those bridges ages ago and know how to navigate. I also discovered I don't really like high rise trousers either. Fit is a bit off. :fonz:

dougc33

Reaction score
Fishtail chinos? Surely, you jest.

iu

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jogo1984