• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BigbigJohnny

Reaction score
Any photos?
I was thinking go there give them a try a year or two ago but didn't do that after some member post their photo here.

Difficult one off the top but certainly significant. I will look for the accounts to establish that difference but I must caveat that by saying that this merely reflected the cloth I had chosen and for a first commission there is a learning curve. It is the second and later commissions which are the best as both client and cutter get the measure (forgive the pun) of one another. This time I thus selected cloths which were readily available as opposed to something which might have had to come from the UK or which I might have brought to move to a CMT commission. Those cloths were boring as well, something which has now been driven out of my mind.

I now have the confidence in both to either tell them ahead of arrival what I require (which could well extend to a Zegna cloth or similar) else bring it myself in the sure knowledge that the product will justify that expense. My thinking on cloth is also changing now I have had the benefit of the undoubted wisdom of my friend and mentor.

Commissioning a bespoke suit is, to me at least, something which is to be enjoyed both from cloth selection through to delivery and then being worn. I am not the average visitor to Hong Kong who buys one or two suits almost as a bounden duty because they think that they might be cheap as this thread demonstrates in far too many cases. They probably are cheap, they are quite correct in their assertion but another word beginning with 'c' would be more accurate - 'crap'. It is quite impossible to approach the Star Ferry terminal, Kowloonside, without at least ten individuals soliciting custom for either a "cheap suit" or a "copy watch", notwithstanding the fact that I would be wearing a genuine Omega Constellation watch of which I have six!

My interest in bespoke extends far beyond simply workmanship etc. but in sticking with Gordon Yao the quality was right enough, style and cloth unadventurous but merely sufficient unto the day: However, my lethargy was not and my interest has now been rekindled in a big way. For someone who had his first bespoke suit at age 16 at my late father's tailor this is no bad thing and the advice I now have received excellent in all ways. I now intend to enjoy this once again and fully intend to clear out a number of Yao suits from my wardrobe - prematurely over the next couple of years, probably at a rate of six per year. Had I been able to get to Hong Kong this autumn (the demands of being a Chairman/MD of a substantial and growing business prevented me) I would certainly have commissioned some very different suits in both style and cloth under an expert eye working with both the advice I now have and having seen the quality offered by GT. Some of this will be extended to AHMC.

I am also planning to try a local UK tailor on the same basis, not for regular use but to introduce the variety I spoke of earlier: He too will be required to meet my new aspirations for style etc and this will probably either be CMT or will certainly use a cloth I have instructed him to buy in advance. This therefore takes away any danger of a quick decision in a shop which even to an experienced eye is far from ideal.

burgerkong

Reaction score
I'm commissioning my first bespoke suit and was wondering what grade of fabric should I go with? New tailor, no experience aside from online reviews and samples I've seen in person. Don't know if I should go for VBC or Zegna grade from the getgo or something like Dugdale or Huddersfield and see what the end results like first before committing with more expensive stuff?

This is with Grand Tailor btw.

charlie64

Reaction score
In the last two weeks I have been stopped on the street in the Central district, around the Prince's Building, by three different young men on three occasions all asking where I got my nice suit and please to give them my business card. It turns out they are from a visiting MTM tailor from Toronto trying to pick up new business in Hong Kong. Slightly odd way to do this or is it just me?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm commissioning my first bespoke suit and was wondering what grade of fabric should I go with? New tailor, no experience aside from online reviews and samples I've seen in person. Don't know if I should go for VBC or Zegna grade from the getgo or something like Dugdale or Huddersfield and see what the end results like first before committing with more expensive stuff?

I'd shy away from expensive cloths for a first commission; I don't doubt GT will do a good job but second and subsequent commissions reflect client and cutter having the measure of one another. If this is likely to be your only visit then go for it, you have nothing to lose.

Haroldwong

Reaction score
Your jacket from the back side is a real mess. The sleeves dont lay right too. trousers break too much look baggy (just my opinion)

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think you should try VBC first. They are actually very decent fabrics. They also can order Dugdale Town or Royal classic / Huddersfield cool new wool but the whole bespoke process will take longer.

burgerkong

Reaction score
I think you should try VBC first. They are actually very decent fabrics. They also can order Dugdale Town or Royal classic / Huddersfield cool new wool but the whole bespoke process will take longer.

Small world, I actually think I saw you the other day on Friday? You were just chilling haha. Any word on Scatex? Never heard of them, but it sits in between VBC and Dugdale (pricewise).

Last edited:

Hifilover

Reaction score

Small world, I actually think I saw you the other day on Friday? You were just chilling haha. Any word on Scatex? Never heard of them, but it sits in between VBC and Dugdale (pricewise).

Scatex is a China fabric with an English name. You can get from fabric shop around hkd200 per yard . VBC maybe a better choice as budget wise .

burgerkong

Reaction score

Scatex is a China fabric with an English name. You can get from fabric shop around hkd200 per yard . VBC maybe a better choice as budget wise .

Ah. Crap. That explains why I can't find any info on it. I was led to believe it is British, I thought it was a Scabal relative. Which would've been ok if I hadn't chosen the Scatex. Unfortunately I did, kinda a sour taste now, should've gone with something that I'd heard of. Does not bold well for GT!

Hifilover

Reaction score

Ah. Crap. That explains why I can't find any info on it. I was led to believe it is British, I thought it was a Scabal relative. Which would've been ok if I hadn't chosen the Scatex. Unfortunately I did, kinda a sour taste now, should've gone with something that I'd heard of. Does not bold well for GT!

Scartex is by a local fabric shop name Loo's Trading tel: (852) 2742 6118.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Perhaps Hui does not want to scare you on price. VBC two piece would have easily push the price close to 10k...

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 45 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads