• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^my info is mostly from 2009 so this is the first I've heard of Lai Sifu; I say if it's cheaper than Yao or Chan then go for it... I've had suits made from both before and don't think they're particularly a good value especially since their prices are soaring. Sure Chan has nice stitching and whatnot but it's the fit that matters. I'm obsessed with high armholes so make sure to tell your tailors BEFOREHAND that you want super high armholes (tell them it's ok if it's uncomfortable), then they can lower it later if necessary. They can't raise armholes well after the first cut. When you return post pics of the back of your jacket so we can see their work

Limniscate

Reaction score

^my info is mostly from 2009 so this is the first I've heard of Lai Sifu; I say if it's cheaper than Yao or Chan then go for it... I've had suits made from both before and don't think they're particularly a good value especially since their prices are soaring. Sure Chan has nice stitching and whatnot but it's the fit that matters. I'm obsessed with high armholes so make sure to tell your tailors BEFOREHAND that you want super high armholes (tell them it's ok if it's uncomfortable), then they can lower it later if necessary. They can't raise armholes well after the first cut. When you return post pics of the back of your jacket so we can see their work

Who do you think provides a better value than Chan?

BigbigJohnny

Reaction score
I wonder what sort of material are you looking for
Hi All, I've read through the thread going back to 2010, and also looked through quite a few other threads. SF is a treasure trove of information, so a big thank you to both the former and current active members of the community! I have an HK trip coming up (will be in town for ~2.5 weeks), and plan on getting a few suits/shirts made. My current plan is to head over to Lai Sifu for a few suits, and then just go to Lee Baron for shirts. I travel a lot for work, so would only want non-iron shirts. I have had a suit, and many shirts, made by Jantzen in the past. The shirts were okay, but the suit left a lot to be desired. The reason I am going with LB over Jantzen is because a) ability to pre-wash fabric before making the shirt, b) Peter being a much nicer guy, c) ease of re-ordering from overseas A few questions before I pull the trigger on HK: 1) I had originally planned on getting 1 suit from Gordon Yao, and 1-2 from Dream Bespoke or Lee Baron. Based on some further reading and recommendations via PM, I am planning on heading to Lai Sifu instead (price point seems similar to DB / LB). For those who have compared between DB/LB/Lai Sifu, is this a sound plan? Seems like Lai Sifu offers better quality than a "mid-range" tailor, at mid range prices. I have reached out to all of the tailors, and getting the suiting/shirting made during my timeframe will not be an issue. 2) In the spirit of contributing to the forum, I took GBR's bespoke suit attribute list, and tweaked it to fit my needs. The list is below - my question is: is there anything else that I am missing? 3) I also created a shirt attribute list. I would appreciate your feedback on that as well! Coat
  • Canvas: Full
  • Breast: Single
  • # of buttons for suit: 2. Horn buttons
  • Buttonholes: handstitched
  • Lapel: Notch, button hole w/ flower cord, Soft roll/belly
  • Cuff buttons: Functional, 4 buttons
  • Suit lining: Bemberg Cupro. Matching
  • Pockets: Straight, flaps
  • Outside ticket pocket: Yes, left side
  • Inside pockets: Need one for phone on right side, and pen on right side
  • Back vents: double side
  • Label inside: Name & e-mail
  • During fitting, check for..
    • High arm holes*
    • Right amount of shirt cuff shows*
    • Collar gap
    • Shirt collar meets lapel

Trousers
  • Belt loops, adjusters, or braces: Belt loops
  • French bearer: Yes
  • Fly type: Zippers
  • Cuffs: No
  • Pleats: No
  • Break type:
  • Crotch reinforcement: Yes
  • Width of bottoms
  • Lining on legs: None
  • Pockets on seam or slanting: Slight slant
  • Coin pocket: No
  • Fob pocket: No
  • Back pockets: dual, button through
    • Bring dress shoes, check break
    • Check draping front/back/sides
Shirts:
  • Collar type: Semi spread
  • Collar fusing: No
  • Removable stays: Yes
  • Split yoke: Yes
  • Pleat type: None
  • Darts: None
  • Button type: MOP
  • Cuff type: Scalloped cuff, two buttons
  • Sleeve gauntlet button: Yes
  • Placket: Yes
  • Pocket: No
  • Gussets: Butterfly
  • Monogram: No
  • During the fitting, check for..
    • High armholes (can you lift your arms without untucking shirt?)
    • Fit, front, back, sides (have someone take a picture of you while standing at a neutral position)
    • Pattern matching at seams
Thanks, S

Jsoftz

Reaction score

Who do you think provides a better value than Chan?

I'd like to second that question. I use Chan a lot and have been mostly happy. The prices have gone up though, and if there are other comparable options I'd like to compare for comparison's sake. Unlikely to stop doing business with Chan, but always nice to see what another tailor will come up with me and get reality checks on prices.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll keep using them too, simply because they have my pattern and the guys there are nice; but I don't feel like I'm getting a 'deal' anymore. I don't have an alternative recommendation, but if this Sifu guy is cheaper and it's still full canvassing then I say go for it.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lai Sifu is something of an unknown here, where have they appeared from and is there any evidence of their work to be seen? Web sites are of little use as so many take images from others.

Looking back though I see that add911_11 has used them so that gives me some confidence although it would still be better to look at some of his work. it would be good to see a full set of images, front side, back wearing coat, same without the coat to see how his trousers look and also that neglected aspect of suits, the interior of the coats showing the pockets and the felling of the lining around the arm holes.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi All, I've read through the thread going back to 2010, and also looked through quite a few other threads. SF is a treasure trove of information, so a big thank you to both the former and current active members of the community! I have an HK trip coming up (will be in town for ~2.5 weeks), and plan on getting a few suits/shirts made. My current plan is to head over to Lai Sifu for a few suits, and then just go to Lee Baron for shirts. I travel a lot for work, so would only want non-iron shirts. I have had a suit, and many shirts, made by Jantzen in the past. The shirts were okay, but the suit left a lot to be desired. The reason I am going with LB over Jantzen is because a) ability to pre-wash fabric before making the shirt, b) Peter being a much nicer guy, c) ease of re-ordering from overseas A few questions before I pull the trigger on HK: 1) I had originally planned on getting 1 suit from Gordon Yao, and 1-2 from Dream Bespoke or Lee Baron. Based on some further reading and recommendations via PM, I am planning on heading to Lai Sifu instead (price point seems similar to DB / LB). For those who have compared between DB/LB/Lai Sifu, is this a sound plan? Seems like Lai Sifu offers better quality than a "mid-range" tailor, at mid range prices. I have reached out to all of the tailors, and getting the suiting/shirting made during my timeframe will not be an issue. 2) In the spirit of contributing to the forum, I took GBR's bespoke suit attribute list, and tweaked it to fit my needs. The list is below - my question is: is there anything else that I am missing? 3) I also created a shirt attribute list. I would appreciate your feedback on that as well! Coat
  • Canvas: Full
  • Breast: Single
  • # of buttons for suit: 2. Horn buttons
  • Buttonholes: handstitched
  • Lapel: Notch, button hole w/ flower cord, Soft roll/belly
  • Cuff buttons: Functional, 4 buttons
  • Suit lining: Bemberg Cupro. Matching
  • Pockets: Straight, flaps
  • Outside ticket pocket: Yes, left side
  • Inside pockets: Need one for phone on right side, and pen on right side
  • Back vents: double side
  • Label inside: Name & e-mail
    • High arm holes*
    • Right amount of shirt cuff shows*
    • Collar gap
    • Shirt collar meets lapel

Trousers
  • Belt loops, adjusters, or braces: Belt loops
  • French bearer: Yes
  • Fly type: Zippers
  • Cuffs: No
  • Pleats: No
  • Break type:
  • Crotch reinforcement: Yes
  • Width of bottoms
  • Lining on legs: None
  • Pockets on seam or slanting: Slight slant
  • Coin pocket: No
  • Fob pocket: No
  • Back pockets: dual, button through
    • Bring dress shoes, check break
    • Check draping front/back/sides
Shirts:
  • Collar type: Semi spread
  • Collar fusing: No
  • Removable stays: Yes
  • Split yoke: Yes
  • Pleat type: None
  • Darts: None
  • Button type: MOP
  • Cuff type: Scalloped cuff, two buttons
  • Sleeve gauntlet button: Yes
  • Placket: Yes
  • Pocket: No
  • Gussets: Butterfly
  • Monogram: No
  • During the fitting, check for..
    • High armholes (can you lift your arms without untucking shirt?)
    • Fit, front, back, sides (have someone take a picture of you while standing at a neutral position)
    • Pattern matching at seams
Thanks, S
NO, your list looks pretty comprehensive: I think that restricting the inner pockets to two is a good idea, something I am trying and may well select for my next suits. It helps the drape immeasurably as the weight and possible bulges are avoided.

bamboo

Reaction score
Are Ascot Chang only known for shirts?

How come i never read anyone here go to them for suits and trousers?

I heard they are trying to scale up their suits and trousers operation but do not know how successful their attempt is.
I read hear Gordon Yao was making suits for them years ago.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics