• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

baromatic

Reaction score
I think you did know that this flannel is " the fishball special run", didn't you?

Yes, I realize and I urge you to organize more... perhaps AW15 as its good timing now.

-
Big Johnny,
Yes, the heavy Flannel is a considerable factor here. I'll be sure to inspect more lapels to see consistency :)

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am looking for a donegal jacket.
Any good suggestions pals?
H&S, w bill? Anything else?

I like the W. Bill ones. More of a jacketing feel compared to Molloy. Molly's can be used for a jacket also but it's a tighter weave that's meant for a suit.

theoldentimes

Reaction score
I would really like some advice about my approach to getting a suit made in Hong Kong, before I move back to the UK at the end of the month. I’m a bit scared of making this big purchase, and don’t really know anyone irl who can offer any advice. On the matter. I’m sorry if what I’m looking for has been covered in previous posts – I have looked through this thread fairly thoroughly, but there is so much information it is quite difficult to put it all together. Any help will be most gratefully received.

I’m well aware that there are many many options for getting a suit made in this city. But especially for cheap or mid-range choices, I’m aware that for every positive write-up, there will be a mediocre review, or someone not totally satisfied with what they got. I don’t have enough money to experiment with even a handful of tailors in HK; nor do I have any need for a wardrobe-full of ‘ok’ suits. I only wear suits for work occasionally, but when I do, I don’t want to be thinking about its problems. It’s difficult to enjoy wearing the suit I got made at TCNY last year, when the jacket’s so obviously too short, with such an absurdly high fastening point. I don’t mind paying HKD15,000-20,000 for something that I will almost certainly feel happy wearing for the next few years. But I do mind spending HKD6000 for something that I always feel unhappy wearing – that’d be a waste of money.

My plan is this - to make an appointment with a very reputable tailor, even if that turns out to be rather expensive: I guess Ascot Chang and WW Chan are really the favourite names around here, though if there’s others in that range I should think about, please do mention. I’ll go in wearing my slightly-unsatisfactory TCNY suit, a few ideas about what I’m so annoyed about, perhaps a few pictures of fabrics and fits, and hope they can work with that to make me look lovely.

Am I approaching this right? I feel like I’m being very naive about it all, which I suppose is about right considering I don’t know what I’m talking about.

tl;dr VALIDATE MY DESIRES INTERNET STRANGERS

emptym

Reaction score
If you're in HK and can benefit from multiple fittings, I think you'll get great results from Chan.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get the cheapest fabric from Chan if you go that route... while they do have multiple 'fittings' I don't feel like they actually put that much effort in making an immaculate fit, it's more to validate length and stuff. E.g. they're not using ironwork to take out every possible ripple and the like.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would really like some advice about my approach to getting a suit made in Hong Kong, before I move back to the UK at the end of the month. I’m a bit scared of making this big purchase, and don’t really know anyone irl who can offer any advice. On the matter. I’m sorry if what I’m looking for has been covered in previous posts – I have looked through this thread fairly thoroughly, but there is so much information it is quite difficult to put it all together. Any help will be most gratefully received.

I’m well aware that there are many many options for getting a suit made in this city. But especially for cheap or mid-range choices, I’m aware that for every positive write-up, there will be a mediocre review, or someone not totally satisfied with what they got. I don’t have enough money to experiment with even a handful of tailors in HK; nor do I have any need for a wardrobe-full of ‘ok’ suits. I only wear suits for work occasionally, but when I do, I don’t want to be thinking about its problems. It’s difficult to enjoy wearing the suit I got made at TCNY last year, when the jacket’s so obviously too short, with such an absurdly high fastening point. I don’t mind paying HKD15,000-20,000 for something that I will almost certainly feel happy wearing for the next few years. But I do mind spending HKD6000 for something that I always feel unhappy wearing – that’d be a waste of money.  

My plan is this - to make an appointment with a very reputable tailor, even if  that turns out to be rather expensive: I guess Ascot Chang and WW Chan are really the favourite names around here, though if there’s others in that range I should think about, please do mention. I’ll go in wearing my slightly-unsatisfactory TCNY suit, a few ideas about what I’m so annoyed about, perhaps a few pictures of fabrics and fits, and hope they can work with that to make me look lovely.

Am I approaching this right? I feel like I’m being very naive about it all, which I suppose is about right considering I don’t know what I’m talking about.

I'd definitely recommend Ascot Chang for shirts.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My plan is this - to make an appointment with a very reputable tailor, even if  that turns out to be rather expensive: I guess Ascot Chang and WW Chan are really the favourite names around here, though if there’s others in that range I should think about, please do mention. I’ll go in wearing my slightly-unsatisfactory TCNY suit, a few ideas about what I’m so annoyed about, perhaps a few pictures of fabrics and fits, and hope they can work with that to make me look lovely.

I would like to remind you that TCNY and Ascot Chang is same company but different brand.

Go to Chan should be a save choice when price isn't an issue

Last edited:

theoldentimes

Reaction score
Get the cheapest fabric from Chan if you go that route... while they do have multiple 'fittings' I don't feel like they actually put that much effort in making an immaculate fit, it's more to validate length and stuff. E.g. they're not using ironwork to take out every possible ripple and the like.

I have to say, this is the kind of comment that makes me nervous about ever buying tailored clothing! This doesn't sound like a very positive experience.

If you're in HK and can benefit from multiple fittings, I think you'll get great results from Chan.

I would like to remind you that TCNY and Ascot Chang is same company but different brand.

Go to Chan should be a save choice when price isn't an issue

Price is still an issue, however, I don't mind paying more for a good investment. Thanks for the encouragement.

All I heard from TCNY is negative so far
*Visited the shop but never commit to anything

I wouldn’t say everything is wrong with my TCNY suit, and maybe for some people it would be exactly what they wanted – I’ve seen plenty of 18-22 year old HKers wearing cheapo suits in the same cut. However this really isn’t what I want, and it seems to be more to do with their house style than not taking instructions.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I will shy away from Chan for your "first and only" good suit, since I have not seen any impressive Chan's stuff for a very long time.

I suggest if you are willing to pay your stated price, wait for BnTailor for their truck show in Hong Kong. If you like their style, that will be a good choice.

Otherwise, I have used Lai sifu for a good amount of time and I will strongly recommend him, that is if you are willing to travel to non-conservative business dress part of Hong Kong for your consultation/fittings.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have to say, this is the kind of comment that makes me nervous about ever buying tailored clothing! This doesn't sound like a very positive experience. 

That makes sense, but bear in mind that most, if not all, RTW will not carry Svenn's seal of approval, so if you stick with his expectations, you will have to go bespoke.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads