• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AchtungBaby07

Reaction score
I've paid half of the full amount as deposit for the suit.

Seems like the consensus here is to cut loss and move forward as it would take some massive rework to fix the basted fitting.

Haroldwong

Reaction score
Guys,
A few questions before I spend the big bucks, looking for a summer suit tailor made (still deciding on the tailor) :

Suits are better fully canvased: how do I know if the jacket is fully canvased? does that conflict with the half lined factor?

Summer suits: soft shoulders, half lined, tropical fabric: anything else I should ask the tailor for besides this?

Padding* I prefer NO PADDING, is that common? I have a casual Hermes blazer but does that work for business suits?

How many fittings do you suggest? What do I look for , ask for during a fitting?

The soft finish look im going for:

Thanks
Harold

Limniscate

Reaction score

Seems like the consensus here is to cut loss and move forward as it would take some massive rework to fix the basted fitting.

Check the Chan thread for my first basted fitting and see the difference ... granted I paid a lot more for my suit than you probably did.

BespokeKiwi

Reaction score
Also, the button holes on shirt shouldn't opened on "vertical line" of check? This is unacceptable for me...

@BigbigJohnny That was a good observation that you made about @AchtungBaby07 check shirt's button holes, amongst others.

Consequently, I went and double checked my own recent new shirt commissions for that important shirt finishing detail. Fortunately, no issues there for me, as my tailor had done a good job on that particular detail. Alas, I've got enough issues with some of my other garments already, without adding shirts to the list.

Anyway, its the above sort of practical advice from fellow SF members like you -- who are either old hand industry professionals and/or custom tailoring connoisseurs -- that makes the SF so great. As it enables the not so experienced members (like myself) to acquire new sartorial wisdom (born from knowledge and experience) and collectively raise our game. Much to the chagrin of some SF members' tailors worldwide, I expect.

Last edited:

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ohh noo.. Does that mean that the suit is so bad that it's beyond rescue?

No, I am not saying they are beyond rescue.
However, I doubt they have the ability to fix it.
Since they shouldn't have cutted the basted fitting like that in the first place. It is one of the worst fitting I ever seen.
Anyway, they have the customer satisfaction guarantees, so, no need to cut cost, just see what will happen

Classic Car

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

No, I am not saying they are beyond rescue.
However, I doubt they have the ability to fix it.
Since they shouldn't have cutted the basted fitting like that in the first place. It is one of the worst fitting I ever seen.
Anyway, they have the customer satisfaction guarantees, so, no need to cut cost, just see what will happen

I never saw a fitting as worse as this.

I will cut lost my time to continue on this project.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I never saw a fitting as worse as this.

I will cut lost my time to continue on this project.

haha, Car, I always have a diffculty to understand you. at first, you didn't say anything about the fit beside you want to know "how much" they charge.
Then you said, see how they turn out, "if they turn bad, then cut loss".
Now, you said "I will cut lost my time to continue on this project"

Do you really have a stand?

Classic Car

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

haha, Car, I always have a diffculty to understand you. at first, you didn't say anything about the fit beside you want to know "how much" they charge.
Then you said, see how they turn out, "if they turn bad, then cut loss".
Now, you said "I will cut lost my time to continue on this project"

Do you really have a stand?

Ball.

It is because he pm me the amount of deposit he paid for the suit only is under HK$2K (USD 250).

I think USD250 is a good price to learn a lesson and still within comfortable zone to cut loss.

If he paid big amount of deposit, it is better to carry on until final products and make decision at that time.

Most guys in this forum demand a decent suit. I think Achtungbaby07 is the same.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it is not fair to judge the suit just after the basted fitting.
Yes, 2K in HK is not much, but I would rather to go thru the whole process to see how it come out, especially if I want to learn.

I don't think you would like people to come to your shop to order a suit and disappear after 1st fitting, right?

Dib

Reaction score

Given you have already paid a deposit, i would continue with the process and see what they can do. If the final product ends up being unacceptable/unwearable then cut your losses at that point (i.e. tell them you aren't prepared to take the suit or pay the balance). The only additional thing you would have lost from this point on would have been the time taken to go to subsequent fittings.

Last edited:

Classic Car

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I think it is not fair to judge the suit just after the basted fitting.
Yes, 2K in HK is not much, but I would rather to go thru the whole process to see how it come out, especially if I want to learn.

I don't think you would like people to come to your shop to order a suit and disappear after 1st fitting, right?

My shop is not a tailor shop. My shop is a scientific compnay. Lai sifu use my upstair and he run his own business independent. A guy pay depsoit to him and run away does not harm me. It harms sifu in my upstairs. However, if he cannot make enough money, he have to leave my upstair. My upstairs will be empty and I need to find someone (can be other business nature) to occupy the floor. Two days ago, he received over 10 suits order which were sub-contracted for Peter Lee /Lee Baron. His recently income is pretty good and I do not think of any reason he will move out within short period of time .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads