• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nayr-

Reaction score
Quote:
Oh man, is there any you know of that sells cut lengths to individuals? Is my best bet then still Sham Shui Po and any stores to recommend in the district there? I have a local fabric retailer that I heard sources their fabric from Hong Kong which are rather decent. Thanks for the info!
Quote:
Yea, I buy from Acorn too but its those kind of a holiday shopping thing for me. Haha

Wongtouski

Reaction score

Hey Guys,

Would you happen to know where I can purchase some shirting fabrics? Not too keen on the branded types as I believe the hassle of inspecting if its authentic is too troublesome than beneficial. I'm more interested in what the local tailors would use as their house fabrics. I purchased some shirtings from Sham Shui Po the last I visited HK and the results were not too pleasant. Mostly the fabrics were too thin but I'm hoping this time round I could get a better try! 

Any other shops or buys would you guys recommend to tourists of HK? I heard of Zee's and have bought MOP buttons from SSP which were a great find for me. Thanks in advance!

There's one shop that I know that will sell to you, but they ONLY have Zegna shirting because they're primarily a suiting distributor.

Pierre Marc

Reaction score
What are the prices for David's Shirt? There are many David's Shirt in HK, do they have the same owner?

David shirt has two location one in TST and one in Central and both have the same owner. The main one is in TST, however when I went last time the owner wasn't there and regretfully I didn't feel the man handling the shop was knowledgeable enough so I headed back to central where I had my shirt done the previous time. The guy remembered me (even though I only bought 2 shirts last time) and even remember the exact fabric I chose so I felt comfortable. Shirt I not cheap by no means they are around 1300 HKD, but I have to say the craftsmanship is excellent and the main difference is the material. The fabric is just much better and looks much better ( threading) than the one you find for 350 -500 HKD. Because of the price range I usually have 2 done there and another bunch done at William Cheng and Son in TST which does a decent job.

This time I also had a suit done at David shirt and I am going for my first fitting on the 16th. I will post pictures when the suit is completed.

I also had shirts done at Lee Baron, one for 550, one for 780 and one for 880 ( three different fabrics) and a suit, also going for first fitting on 16th and will put comparison pictures for suits and shirts, as well as for my suit ordered from Charms tailor.

Pierre Marc

Reaction score
Mmmh. Why that?

I can't talk about Simpson Sin, but I had suit done at empire before. The suit were a good fit, the craftsmanship is decent but I can't explain why there fabric didn't last me as long, might be just my choice of fabric though. Also get ready to make two suits since there price are higher but they will give you a second suit at 50% most of the time so one suit could cost you 6000 KD but two suits 9000 HKD therefore making it reasonable at 4500 HKD each.

Pierre Marc

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Would you happen to know where I can purchase some shirting fabrics? Not too keen on the branded types as I believe the hassle of inspecting if its authentic is too troublesome than beneficial. I'm more interested in what the local tailors would use as their house fabrics. I purchased some shirtings from Sham Shui Po the last I visited HK and the results were not too pleasant. Mostly the fabrics were too thin but I'm hoping this time round I could get a better try!

Any other shops or buys would you guys recommend to tourists of HK? I heard of Zee's and have bought MOP buttons from SSP which were a great find for me. Thanks in advance!

About Zee's its a good place for tailor made shoes. I had two pair of shoes done 4 years ago and I still wear them today! They are on there last miles though so i just ordered two new pairs last week and will pick them up next week. The guy does a good job and the soles are of very good quality. The only downside is you won't find top notch Italian leathers or French leathers to choose from so you get a nice styled and durable shoes in a decent leather fr around 1700 - 1800 HKD. For me its a no brainer since a good pair of Italian leather shoes cost me around 350-400 USD so much more expensive and tend to scratch more easily.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just had a basted fitting for a DB linen suit at Hemrajani. Looks good so far, pictures to follow.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just had a basted fitting for a DB linen suit at Hemrajani. Looks good so far, pictures to follow.

Hello RogerC...

May I ask whether Herajani HK has any connection with Herajani Bond Street UK?

dolama

Reaction score
I can't talk about Simpson Sin, but I had suit done at empire before. The suit were a good fit, the craftsmanship is decent but I can't explain why there fabric didn't last me as long, might be just my choice of fabric though. Also get ready to make two suits since there price are higher but they will give you a second suit at 50% most of the time so one suit could cost you 6000 KD but two suits 9000 HKD therefore making it reasonable at 4500 HKD each.
Hi Pierre Marc,
Thanks for your help.
Do you happen to remember exactly what kind of fabric was that?

Classic Car

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Do you know the construction of the suit made by empire? Is empire own and run by Indians?

Pierre Marc

Reaction score
Do you know the construction of the suit made by empire? Is empire own and run by Indians?

I think they normally do full canvass suit, and no the people who were there when I went were Hong Kong people. I"d be honest they do a relatively good suit for 4500 HKD but you can"t expect to have a top suit at that price. Hong Kong bespoke seen is now more and more expensive and for a good made suit you can't really get under 7000 HKD.

Regards

Classic Car

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I think they normally do full canvass suit, and no the people who were there when I went were Hong Kong people. I"d be honest they do a relatively good suit for 4500 HKD but you can"t expect to have a top suit at that price. Hong Kong bespoke seen is now more and more expensive and for a good made suit you can't really get under 7000 HKD.

Regards

I agree. The rent and living cost in HK are not low at all. HK$4,500 is reasonable for a relatively good suit.

Classic Car

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Regards

Another tailor shop in the same area call Beaux Tailor. It may worth to take a look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads