• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

deuce2

Reaction score
@lucubrator @penfold
Great to know this
Too bad I just missed the b& trunk show last week
RJ is coming next month so I'll definitely catch them

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Gennaro is back in May/ June.
B&Tailor seems interesting from photos, but they're a bit pricier than local tailors aren't they?

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really disappointed by the whole experience with Gordon, I had real high expectations of him as a craftsman who prides on his product but he just seems to be a shady salesman.

I've had many interactions with Gordon Yao over the past several years, and I have had the exact opposite experience with him. He's been fantastic to work with and definitely takes pride in his products. He's gone above and beyond numerous times for me.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've had many interactions with Gordon Yao over the past several years, and I have had the exact opposite experience with him. He's been fantastic to work with and definitely takes pride in his products. He's gone above and beyond numerous times for me.

GY has always been very good to work with. but he did mention that his head tailor would be retiring soon. That was many many years ago so it could that apprentice tailors have been working on suits now.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've gotten my best stuff from him in the past year. Not sure if we're just more dialed in now, but I've had no complaints with recent stuff.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For my upcoming oversea trip.

Cloth: fresco tobacco special run (current version)
Shirt and tie: RLPL
PS: unbranded
Shoes: Masaru Okuyama

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The last time I wore it, it seemed a couple of shades lighter. But then I'm a bit colour blind.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nicely executed, looks like Tailor Lai has nailed down your pattern better each time. 

Okuyama do trunk in HK too? 

Thanks for your kind words. Actually Lai keep forgetting my strong shoulder preference. He seems to prefer his more than mine.

Okuyama actually locates in Hong Kong.

Penfold

Reaction score
Nice stuff @add911_11 - is that a 9/10 oz fresco? Am taking some 7/8 oz fresco to Lai soon to make a second pair of trousers for a recent GY suit where I probably specified poorly - (looking for a lower rise, no cuffs, no break, more taper... oh and I've lost a little weight already in the 6 weeks since taking delivery.
musicboohoo[1].gif

It does seem very difficult to get good trouser lines when working with Fresco, particularly the lighter weight version. It bags quite easily and the drape is problematic.

Planning to give Lai some linen for trousering at the same time and some navy worsted twill for a blazer so hopefully we'll get closer to a good fit in time for rounds 2 and 3...

Lai defaults to quite a thin and sharp shoulder for his house style, no? I've been wondering whether with my wide shoulders and burly frame whether a strong, maybe even slightly extended, shoulder might make my proportions better/less bad.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice stuff @add911_11 - is that a 9/10 oz fresco? Am taking some 7/8 oz fresco to Lai soon to make a second pair of trousers for a recent GY suit where I probably specified poorly - (looking for a lower rise, no cuffs, no break, more taper... oh and I've lost a little weight already in the 6 weeks since taking delivery.
musicboohoo%5B1%5D.gif
It does seem very difficult to get good trouser lines when working with Fresco, particularly the lighter weight version. It bags quite easily and the drape is problematic. Planning to give Lai some linen for trousering at the same time and some navy worsted twill for a blazer so hopefully we'll get closer to a good fit in time for rounds 2 and 3... Lai defaults to quite a thin and sharp shoulder for his house style, no? I've been wondering whether with my wide shoulders and burly frame whether a strong, maybe even slightly extended, shoulder might make my proportions better/less bad.
Just be warned Lai's waiting list is very long now For new orders. I don't see any real problems on your trousers except some minor shortening. In fact the two suits you posted looks very good to me. I think Lai has a softer look by default, I consider my stuff from other tailor much sharper. Although Lai stuff has slimmer effect. But I find your suit pretty well proportioned.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads