• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hippotamus

Reaction score
Hmmm. My fondness for giving advice is **ENORMOUSLY** greater than my ability to heed my own words. Bought another suit since then from Gordon Yao, have a non-suit project underway at WW Chan and now considering cloth samples for at least one sports coat. Oh, and maybe just one more suit. It's a sickness, right?

I'm going to re-grade the first YWY suit as a 3/10, the linen jacket as a 2/10 and the Jantzen shirts as 3/10. I'm on record elsewhere with my views on Graly but I really am starting to sound like a shill so I'll shut up.
Interested in the non-suit project !

Penfold

Reaction score
Interested in the non-suit project !

It will be rather esoteric for most people but I can justify it to myself. They're investment pieces that I hope will pass on to my grandchildren one day. Just have to wait for Patrick to return from tour for the final fitting/collection later this month I hope. Watch this space.

Hey guys, I live in HK and I'm looking to buy a slim fit suit tailored.

From what I know most tailors in HK are more old school.
Anyone have any good experience with a tailor making modern looking slim fit suits?

Thanks.

Perhaps go and try on a lot of more fashion orientated RTW suits in Lane Crawford, Massimo Dutti or the designer shops in Pacific Place or the Landmark... ideally with a partner who can take try-out photos and discuss what looks good and what doesn't. Looking is free, after all. If you find a RTW suit that looks great it probably will cost the same or less than entry level bespoke unless it's from a really high end label and small alterations are easy to do.

Then if you decide to go to a tailor and order something take your time and do lots of research on shape, style, details and fabric. Print out photos to take with you. Know what you're asking for!

I haven't used either but it appears more young HK guys go to the likes of Dream Bespoke or Browns Tailor (both have quite active pages on Facebook) than the more old-school British-aesthetic tai-pan outfits like Yao, Baroman or A-Man. If you have the money though I'm sure WW Chan can make you pretty snappy modern suit.

Moda Republic used to get some traction around here too - seems they're still an Affiliate Vendor but don't post much. That might be worth trying as well, especially since the landing page for their website currently offers a 25% discount to HK residents online and in-store. That would work out about 55-60% of the price of Chan.

Last edited:

Bloomsbury2k

Reaction score
..." Print out photos to take with you. Know what you're asking for!"

Perhaps it was just I, but when I showed pictures to Gordon Yao, he set the pictures aside and said, "Pictures won't help you, measurements will." Baromon said essentially the same thing, stating, "these model starve themselves to make the suit fit this way. You are not a model. You eat more than just lettuce, no? Let me measure you." Granted I'm not tall and slim as a model, but I'm no uncle Fester either. In short, it seems they did not care about photos. Again, it could have been because I was not a model. Cheers, Bloomsbury.

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They probably just know you don't know much about cuts and want to steer you away from trying to imitate cuts that don't work as well for you.

Penfold

Reaction score
Agree with Isolation. Perhaps there's also a degree of expectation management going on too. Looking forward to when your deliveries start to arrive, Bloomsbury2k.

deuce2

Reaction score
First of all this is an amazing great thread!

Now onto my question. I back-read as much as I could until my eyes said they had enough. But I never read a single mention about New Kingston Fashion (not to be confused with Kingston Bespoke tailor). It is highly regarded by one Parisian gentleman blogger. What do you think about their suits?

newkingstonfashion.com

And any recommendation on which tailor there where a Neapolitan jacket can be made?

Last edited:

Penfold

Reaction score
When the first suit you see on the site is awful You know to stay away.

Finally someone's making a suit that's waterproof ... but yes, never heard of them and nothing online to suggest any quality there.

And any recommendation on which tailor there where a Neapolitan jacket can be made?

I tried having a softer shouldered jacket made in HK. It was pretty terrible. A much wiser man than me said "Don't order Italian food in an Asian restaurant". But Yao or Chan will be more able to try this.

Last edited:

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to have a trenchcoat made in a Burberry fit/styling. Any recommendations? I think Burberry trenches have no chestpieces, and I wonder if it'd be too significantly different an item for most tailors to want to do one. I really want to try get a linen trench, I think the way a trench drapes, with its many folds DNS bunching, would look unique in linen, after seeing some examples from burberry.

Granted a raincoat in linen makes no sense but I don't really care.

hippotamus

Reaction score
These are for weekend wears.

The quasi-nolfork is a Loro Piana 100% cahsmere, the the navel DB is a crombie 100% cashmere.

Again I am very pleased with the outcome.

On hanger

Hi @add911_11 , may I know / would you recall the weigh for the this LP cashmere (for the norfork?)

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I know someone who goes there for the cheap shirts. I don't think they're better than Lee Baron though.

Penfold

Reaction score
Hi @add911_11 , may I know / would you recall the weigh for the this LP cashmere (for the norfork?)

Also if you feel like sharing the identity and location of the mysterious, but clearly highly-skilled, sifu then I'd be keen to know and send him some business. I speak no Cantonese.

Penfold

Reaction score
Hi All,

btw anyone know anything about Lapel? http://lapel.hk/

my friend used to go to baron lee and goes here now....

Someone I know has used them for work trousers and said he was pleased with what he got. I'm going round to his for dinner this weekend so I'll ask to see them.

I always see Lapel when I'm going up the escalator and from the look of the shop they compete on convenience, speed and price rather than outright quality.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephenRBrower