• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is there any way for you to see the different in person, either at a lighting gallery or similar? While I dont mind using box store lighting for screw in type bulbs I would be more careful if buying dedicated fixtures to ensure that the lighting quality is high. If you can go to a place and try them, bring some samples of woods or other materials and see how the lighting effects it.

I was more careful in my basement workshop because I constantly photograph in the setting and so the lighting color range and it's effect on the wood color was important.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm just blown away by how great these lamps are. I am about to convert the other T5HO fixture in my house garage.

So far I'm using 8 4000k 85CRI bulbs and 4 5000k 92CRI bulbs and I like the combination. But for when I get around to converting my shop, what are the characteristics that make lamps good for photographing wood?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the color range around 2700-3000k for wood, 4000 - 5000k tend to wash it out. So my overhead bulbs are 3000k and my spotlights are 2700k.

I also tend to prefer lighting that is diffused, indirect, or otherwise reflected over direct lighting if possible. I reduced dead spaces like the shelving (covered in shoji) and under the stairs (also covered in shoji) and having the kozo paper in place really helped to reflect a lot of light back into the room. Same with the walls, I drywalled some open walls and painted them "super white" to help them to reflect back into the room.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One of my neighbors started doing an addition to their house almost two years ago. Tore off one wall, got the foundation done, framed in a new room. Then, they just stopped. It's been sitting there for two years. No shingle on the roof. No siding, or even house wrap. They had a tarp over the roof, but it's full of holes now.

I'm really curious what in the world happened, contractor flaked out on them and took their deposit or something? Don't know them well enough to ask.

But their house has got to be disintegrating. You can see rot on the exposed plywood already, and there are so many openings into the old part of the house that it's got to be bad in there too. Real shame, they're kind of stuck with it now. If they can't afford to finish the reno, I seriously doubt they can repair all the inevitable damage.

One of those worst case scenarios for a renovation.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it could be worse yet, the city could be banging them from the other side. quoted from an older (2011) SF Chron story:

Use of liens
One of the most controversial policies cited by the grand jury report is the long-standing practice of placing liens on homes the city declares blighted. Liens as high as $827,000 were put on homes as a warning to fix properties.

But sometimes they made little sense. In one case, Building Services closed a case after the property owner cleaned it up. But days later, the city placed a $35,000 lien on the home anyway.

A decade ago, the grand jury asked the city to stop placing liens on blighted homes. Oakland uses liens at the start of the process, as a way to notify owners of a problem. San Francisco and San Jose use liens on the back end - only after all invoices have been sent to the owner and payment has not been received for 30 days.

Oakland has temporarily suspended its practice, but Santana says the city will continue to use liens in the future. Santana says it's a good way to warn prospective buyers of problems with a house.

A lien is viewed as an encumbrance on a property and can interfere with financial transactions related to the property, making it difficult if not impossible for the homeowner to take out a loan against the property.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Oakland-homeowners-decry-onerous-blight-penalties-2309492.php

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Carlos?

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have a guy with a partially completed home addition. Not as bad as stated above but an eyesore none the less. I can't figure the guy out though. He plants a garden in the MIDDLE of the yard then doesn't tend to it, wraps tin foil around the base of some trees but not all, and had an irrigation system put in but also drags a hose and sprinkler around to different areas of the yard.

I only know he is a looney doctor who lost his medical license and now sells diet pills.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Visited Henrybuilt when I was in New York last weekend and confirmed I'm going with them for my kitchen and master bath. Signing the contract this week. Really impressive stuff, can't wait to get started with design.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
When my HOA issues an approval for a project the approval comes with a mandatory complete period. Unfinished projects are not allowed to happen.

Speaking of which, all approvals and permits granted/issued for our ramada/outdoor kitchen.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Refinanced my mortgage today. You know you're getting old when you get giddy about going from 6.25% to 4.25%.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Mortgages...I'm on the countdown for paid off. That's going to be sweet.

I know a 55 year old guy, makes six figures, sold his house while upside down a few months ago and now his family lives in his mother's doublewide. He's in credit card debt up to his ears, has the new not-a-house debt...and just took a two week trip to Croatia. How do these people sleep at night?

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We went from 4.25% to 3.375%. I am kicking myself as a refi around Brexit would have put us sub-3%.

As for Piob, I have no idea. Some people have no sense of personal finance.

As for my remodel, my wife mentioned the shower door was installed today. I need to touch-up paint and paint the trim and it is complete!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads