• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In principle (aesthetically) I agree, I'm just stuck on the idea of being a curator, and preserving what is part of the old house and showing where one stops and the other begins. I did the same in trying to re-use the exterior brick, and keep some exposed brick from what was the exterior in the new room.

My house isn't so old that I should be thinking about it, but in 100 years someone would appreciate the thought.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You might want to think of a fire suppression system if you sleep over your garage. A lot of fires start in the garage.

I used type X drywall and whatever else the code required. There is also a smoke alarm right outside the garage. Only part of the room sits over the garage, the majority is over living space, including the sleeping area.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would match the oak - shouldn't be too hard to do. I agree with making the change at the threshold, rather than mid-room.

Hit a bump in the road of my project today - electrician has to run off to Montana for some kind of emergency and wont be back till Monday, so instead of finishing today and inspecting tomorrow AM, we are looking at finishing Monday and inspecting on Tuesday. Also left us without a furnace (breaker taken out as part of panel re-arranging. GC says he's going to be here soon to talk about it . . .:lurk:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
After consulting the architect, he came by and suggested as you guys suggested. I went ahead and had them rip out the old oak this morning and Monday they'll lay the floor to the entire dimensions of the room.

His comment was that in this instance historical accuracy wasn't being considered in my flooring choice, so since I wasn't being historically accurate to the house all bets were off.

Thanks all

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did a kitchen remodel of sorts last week... Replaced all the "contractor-grade" (according to the appliance installer) GE appliances and replaced with Viking (hood vs. GE microwave-hood, gas range, french door fridge/freezer vs. side-by-side) and Kitchenaid dishwasher. Put a microwave in the pantry now. Also pulled out a cabinet and put a wine fridge in, so we have a lot more wine storage now. I got some Spiegelau glasses to replace our C&B ones that the old dishwasher etched particles and gunk into the walls of as well, and I have a new garbage disposal on the way to replace the crappy one we have. After this, I think there won't be a single thing in the kitchen that is the way the place was when it was built. When we bought the condo, we replaced the granite counters and repainted the cabinets and shelves. Now all the appliances are upgraded too. Can't wait to have a new and improved kitchen finally done. I have to put a couple counter L brackets in to reinforce the granite above the wine fridge where the cabinet used to be but everything else should be fine for a long time, or at least until we want to sell (which won't be for at least 3-4 years at this point anyways).

Congrats on the remodel. I am curious about your upgrade of the hood. Did you need to worry about make up air with the Viking hood?

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because our kitchen was not ducted with the previous hood, we opted to put the recirculating kit in with our new hood so no make up air concerns

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thought Seattle was more laid back

It is, but I'll be goddamned if I'm going to let them put cover plates in the ceiling of my new kitchen (to cover deleted ceiling fixtures) because they dont want to crawl 60 feet through my scuttle attic to flip the J-boxes around and make them accessible from up there.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All in all, I have a very little patience for listening to people tell me how hard their job is when I am paying them (what they asked me) to do it.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You're right to have them do that its nice to have power in the attic when you need it. I joke because I know the feeling, I always had to hire people at work that would make fun of the last contractor all while taking the path of least resistance on the re-do of that same project (usually moving fixtures). So I have yet to hire anyone for anything at my house with exception to one plumber. He was wonderful but ended up fixing a problem I didn't have.

Last edited:

ChrisGold

Reaction score

It is, but I'll be goddamned if I'm going to let them put cover plates in the ceiling of my new kitchen (to cover deleted ceiling fixtures) because they dont want to crawl 60 feet through my scuttle attic to flip the J-boxes around and make them accessible from up there.

I agree that you should use the opportunity to have power up there, but if it's unfinished they should probably pull the wire and junction box up to a higher spot on the framing.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree that you should use the opportunity to have power up there, but if it's unfinished they should probably pull the wire and junction box up to a higher spot on the framing.

Actually it's not an issue of having power up there (I have a very low slope roof and it's not at all a usable space, even for storage), its that the wiring running through the boxes that are in the ceiling (and used to feed the overhead lights in the kitchen) also run power to other parts of the house. It's not really feasible to just delete the boxes and associated wiring (would require redoing a lot of other wiring), so the boxes have to stay. As the boxes must be accessible, I'd rather the access be on the attic side, rather than the ceiling of my kitchen.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

All in all, I have a very little patience for listening to people tell me how hard their job is when I am paying them (what they asked me) to do it.

Never manage nurses if this bothers you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads