• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've only done that with thick stuff like brick or pavers like at least 2"but I 'm def an amateur in this area

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
These are about 2" but I just don't see how to get them level without a base of sand. Travertine is not like brick pavers and has mucho variation.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are about 2" but I just don't see how to get them level without a base of sand. Travertine is not like brick pavers and has mucho variation.
I tend to agree with you... seems odd all in all.... I would push them on it. especially if they didn't do a good job prepping the surface

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well you wash fine fill sand into the voids while tweaking the pavers around with a tool like a large screwdriver then once you fill the annular space they lock in pretty good . I have done this numerous times but never over a hard surface. Sounds a bit sketch to me but thats just my uninformed opinion. They make an additive you can add to the fill sand
that hardens with dampening . You don't know if they're using that do you?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Staying home Monday and Tuesday to interact in real time with people.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've put brick-sized pavers directly over concrete and had it work just fine. After tamping and watering in (or hitting it with a big plate vibrator,) the sand works into all the gaps and everything locks up solid. Not saying that's the correct way to do it with larger pavers. I just don't know.

ETA: And I didn't put any sand under it to start, either.

Last edited:

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely needs a sand base to accommodate the variations in the travertine. Otherwise they will crack. Polymeric sand brushed in as a mortar won't stop that.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I've put brick-sized pavers directly over concrete and had it work just fine. After tamping and watering in (or hitting it with a big plate vibrator,) the sand works into all the gaps and everything locks up solid. Not saying that's the correct way to do it with larger pavers. I just don't know.

ETA: And I didn't put any sand under it to start, either.

I wonder if they're going the big plate vibrator (TWSS) route? He's just calling it "sanding in" and assuming I know exactly what the process entails. I still plan to stay home from work Monday so I can talk to the guys on site. There's also a paver right by the bedroom door sticking up enough to be a trip hazard and that's just not going to fly.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If the pavers are different thicknesses I don't see how you can level that without the sand bed, yeah. But as far as them being loose or rocking, sand should take care of that.

When I did it, I didn't use a sand bed over the concrete because I didn't want to raise the floor up any more than necessary. That's also a consideration.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
There's room to raise the elevation a bit so that's not the problem. In fact we no doubt want a bit of a grade from the house and then a bit of a grade from the pool. A "deco drain" needs to be placed parallel to the house and pool (they're parallel to each other) and the water directed under the wall on the side of the yard.

The travertine are the same thickness but it's travertine so there's some pores, if you will, in most of the individual pieces. The PM has assured me they have been doing it this way for years with no problems. I'm sure he won't mind putting that in writing. :)

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If he insists on doing it that way I'd walk it and identify every joint you didn't like and insist he shuffle them around until everything fits like you want it.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Will be doing that for sure and not paying another cent until it's all the way I want it.

I'm almost wishing I'd just had the cement patio demo'ed now as it's only about 400 sq feet of the 2k of travertine I'm getting installed but it's the part that will probably get the most traffic.

Last edited:

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, real no snark question. I'm assuming you looked at this contractors track record and chose someone with a decent reputation. So why not trust him to do his job? He knows far more about it than you do and laying a travetine patio is pretty basic.

I've done a fair amount of hardscape over the years and a home owner standing there while I worked sounds like the fifth ring of Hell.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

So, real no snark question. I'm assuming you looked at this contractors track record and chose someone with a decent reputation. So why not trust him to do his job? He knows far more about it than you do and laying a travetine patio is pretty basic.

I've done a fair amount of hardscape over the years and a home owner standing there while I worked sounds like the fifth ring of Hell.

I'm not bird-dogging him in the least and have been hands off until this. They do have a great rep and have been in business here for a couple of decades but that doesn't mean they might not get something wrong. It's also far easier to remedy something in process than after the fact. And lastly I'm paying 25k for ******* stone squares. I think that buys me a right to express concern, don't you?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member