• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

flvinny521

Reaction score
Any of you homeboys familiar with the makes models and general advice regarding selection and install of a ceiling-mounted HDTV projector + motorized screen? This ain't cuttin it.

My old 55", (which once reigned supreme but is now yesterday's news lol.) More to the point, while it looks adequate sizewise in this pic IR in the room it is waaay too small for proper TV wutchin'. Moreover the wife is all about "hiding" the TV to control cartoons w the kid or when people are over. Also, multiple people have told me tv-on-mantle is classless **** and art is supposed to go there. And I'm not wasting room on the floor and blocking cabinets and having a toddler pull it on to themselves with the usual rollytable thing.

Hence my question. I'm def gonna install one of these setups but don't recognize most of the brands. Vivitek. Optoma. Epson. (yah, printers..good projectors? I dunno. Lol)

1080 is prolly fine vs $10G 4K 3D w/e **** as far as I've seen via googlin around so far.

Kinda niche inquiry but I have seen these on occasion in a few homes over the years so I bet some SFer here knows the choice unit for best $:qual.

Thanks!!

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-screens/

Read away, but be careful. After some time on that site I convinced my wife to add a home theater to our future renovation plans.

Last edited:

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Niner that's mildly amusing but doesn't solve meh problem.
0.jpg

Check out this old growth redwood fence post in the ground for 75 years. I've got 6 of them @ 5ft long I'm going to rip up into 3/4x4s

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Yesterday afternoon, while we were at work, the contractor came in with a bobcat and scraped the backyard clean, removing gravel, a couple strips of riprap we had for drainage, and pushed our boulders aside too. Where the pool/spa is going is cleaned and read for excavation. Might have it dug out as early as end of next week.

:slayer:

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That woods looks great to make into something like a table. Plans?

Friend has asked me to build a bench/shoestorage thing for her front porch I'll post pics when its done.
Here is a grain shot of a scrap I used to set my saw

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Q

Cutting it kind of close there, aren't you?
Look at those nails. I yanked on those buggers for 10 mins and just gave up. Good old hot dip for holding power

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesterday afternoon, while we were at work, the contractor came in with a bobcat and scraped the backyard clean, removing gravel, a couple strips of riprap we had for drainage, and pushed our boulders aside too. Where the pool/spa is going is cleaned and read for excavation. Might have it dug out as early as end of next week.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Driving a bobcat feels like this

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I have a friend that's very wealthy, I mean like north of $50 million type rich, and he bought several adjoining plots of land where he's planning on developing a downtown in a nearby small town. He rented a backhoe for a week and had so much fun he went out and bought himself a brand new one the next week.

Now that's baller status.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've witnessed fist fights over who gets to drive the(insert heavy construction equipment here) once 100ft+ in the air on one of these

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a friend that's very wealthy, I mean like north of $50 million type rich, and he bought several adjoining plots of land where he's planning on developing a downtown in a nearby small town. He rented a backhoe for a week and had so much fun he went out and bought himself a brand new one the next week.

Now that's baller status.
Not quite home ownership talk, but do you remember the baseball pitcher Roy Oswalt? The owner of the Astros bought him a bulldozer for winning game 6 of the World Series.

Quote:
lol8[1].gif

Last edited:

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dedicated home theater is one of the biggest wastes of money current US reality has produced along with giant size mastur-bedroom with ******* attached to it , SS appliances/granite countertenors, fake dark cherry-wood floors from allegedly Brazil & my all time fav. : the man-cave....

As far as projector is concerned, my experience with HD projectors have been underwhelming. The picture does not look as good as best TVs. They are an eye sore. You cannot watch TV on projector you will burn expensive bulbs too fast.

If you decide to do it , you don't need one of those motorized screens (another eye-sore) just paint the wall you are projecting onto with special-purpose paint and you have your concealed screen.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most home theaters are build in the basement on the front side of the house which is under grade. Storage, cellar or HT are pretty much the only ways to use that space.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Modern projectors are pretty good and bulb life is much better depending on what you buy (either longer life, or cheaper bulbs).

My suggestion is to not buy a super expensive one... Just whatever mid price option someone like theWirecutter.com recommends.

If you buy a 800-1000 dollar one now instead of a $3000 one today, you can probably barely tell the difference in a space like that, and you can just upgrade when the next model comes out. 2-3 years later, you will have spent less money and possibly have a better projector than buying the expensive one today. Especially if your sell the old one for a few hundred bucks.

Won't work if you are the kind of people who like background TV while cooking or cleaning... But if you only use the TV for active viewing, bulb cost shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member