• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Wow that thermostatic system is so cheap. I must be shopping at the wrong places. I like this one but it is $10k+.
eek.gif

http://www.waterworks.com/products/...filler-and-handshower-and-white-porc8230/1324
eek.gif
is right. Look at Hansegrohe and the like, they're in the ~$1000 range, so I'd say so. I can't speak to the quality of Waterworks, but $10k seems really steep.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fwiw the term thermostatic is used interchangeably to describe two different functions in shower valves
1-A safety function that protects the user from scalding (or cold blasts) due to rapid pressure changes in the system i.e. flushing a toilet etc. these type valves are required by code and are a feature on all recent manuf. regardless of cost.

2- An optional feature that allows for a set point eliminating the need to temper the water every time you use it. These type valves are usually found in the higher cost range

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are plenty of these boutique Co. in UK that make expensive + bathroom fixtures. I have not seen 10K+ prices but I have seen 6-8K for similar shower. Thicker brass is what you paying for and thicker plating. The one I posted from Hudson Reed comes with 20 year warranty and true thermostatic valve. It is heavy and levers are ceramic, works beautifully. Once you set the Temp. on the valve you are good to go. I paid over 700Eur 3 years ago.

Last edited:

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think quality of manufacture on a shower valve tops out at @ $500 ,after that you are buying features,design,and brand or as seems to be the case IMO what the market will bear

brokencycle

Reaction score
I would think quality of manufacture on a shower valve tops out at @ $500 ,after that you are buying features,design,and brand or as seems to be the case IMO what the market will bear

Yeah, I would think someone spending $10k on a shower head/valve has more money than sense, but to each their own.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would tend to agree, some of this stuff gets stupidly expensive. My wife and I looked at some tubs and they really start to get nice around like 6-10k....which seems absolutely absurd to me....and that is before the tub filler....and well installing the damn thing.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
American Standard still makes the same double cast iron enameled kitchen sink that was installed in my house in 1945.I replace the original last year. It cost $245

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know most of the regular posters are from other areas in the country, but any chance any of you have recommendations on builders/contractors in the NC area? I have a feeling I'll be moving there soon, and I've been looking at houses, and I think I really rather build or buy a cheap house and do a massive renovation.

What part? Charlotte? Raleigh-Durham? Asheville/mountains? My parents just built a place near Asheville and interviewed a few builders, and I have a close friend that did a big renovation of a nice place in Charlotte.

brokencycle

Reaction score
What part? Charlotte? Raleigh-Durham? Asheville/mountains? My parents just built a place near Asheville and interviewed a few builders, and I have a close friend that did a big renovation of a nice place in Charlotte.

Raleigh-Durham area.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Just got quoted $4700 for a new steel door, 2 side lights, new steel frame, and storm door plus installation. Sound fair?

It depends on the amount of glass and the size of the doors, but that sounds reasonable. For reference, we did two fiberglass doors (32" and 36") plus a window for about $3000 installed.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Sounds reasonable. Damn them.

SirReveller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any of you homeboys familiar with the makes models and general advice regarding selection and install of a ceiling-mounted HDTV projector + motorized screen? This ain't cuttin it.

My old 55", (which once reigned supreme but is now yesterday's news lol.) More to the point, while it looks adequate sizewise in this pic IR in the room it is waaay too small for proper TV wutchin'. Moreover the wife is all about "hiding" the TV to control cartoons w the kid or when people are over. Also, multiple people have told me tv-on-mantle is classless **** and art is supposed to go there. And I'm not wasting room on the floor and blocking cabinets and having a toddler pull it on to themselves with the usual rollytable thing.

Hence my question. I'm def gonna install one of these setups but don't recognize most of the brands. Vivitek. Optoma. Epson. (yah, printers..good projectors? I dunno. Lol)

1080 is prolly fine vs $10G 4K 3D w/e **** as far as I've seen via googlin around so far.

Kinda niche inquiry but I have seen these on occasion in a few homes over the years so I bet some SFer here knows the choice unit for best $:qual.

Thanks!!

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.