• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LeatherBoot

Reaction score
So...for anyone who actually knows: to what extent is that CBS report bullshit?

Whenever I see something complaining about formaldehyde, I tend to be skeptical. It is a favorite compound of the scare-mongerers since it is used on dead people and sounds scary...but when it is in your vaccines or your plastics as a necessary ingredient, it doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

I saw something say that some samples were more than 13X the *california* limit. But maybe california has crazy limits like they do with everything else?

I wouldn't be surprised if the chinese were happily exporting overly toxic products...but its not like you are chewing on your floorboards.
To my knowledge most types of particle board contain some amount formaldehyde. I have a lot of expensive custom German and high-end modular Italian cabinetry that use MDF which contain some formaldehyde. There isn't much in the way of off gassing but I would be lying if I said it wasn't there to a certain extent but it did not bother me and I consider myself sensitive to smell.

I also did my office closet with California Closets and they offer a couple of American made products (including an "Eco" low formaldehyde board) that are all CARB (California Air Resources Board) compliant. They also offer an Italian MDF product that supposedly the same manufacturer that Poliform uses and it is not CARB compliant.

If you are worried about it you might want to opt for an American-made product as they likely will care about getting that CARB certification. Many foreign companies don't care about getting US certifications.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Decided with recently plumbing renovations to also do some electrical. Adding some lighting in our master bedroom as my wife hates just lamp lighting in the evening. Also adding some electrical outlets in 2 bathrooms where the original outlets were in some fixtures I replaced. The last item is installing a fan/light/heater combo. I like the idea of a heater in the fan but have not been sold on the lights those units produce. If it ends up being terrible I will replace it along with adding other lighting.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Currently having my water main replaced as I found out it has a leak this week. Good a time as any to do it as we're having the rest of the house re-piped in a couple weeks.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finding someone competent to repair drywall/paint and not be booked until June is tough. The one guy who seemed very competent and 3rd generation painter seemed high off something other than pot so my wife said no. Home projects are the worst.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Finding someone competent to repair drywall/paint and not be booked until June is tough.  The one guy who seemed very competent and 3rd generation painter seemed high off something other than pot so my wife said no.  Home projects are the worst.

Yes. Acting as your own GC is like herding cats. Of the people that I actually got to call be back and come out to give me a bid, only about half actually ever sent me a bid even though I was obviously going to have the work done ASAP as I had a huge ongoing leak in my water main. Was a very simple/straightforward job too - 30ft straight and level, no landscaping to work around, no concrete to break up.

The guy I ended up hiring was kind of a slimeball/hustler and I didn't feel good about hiring him, but at least he showed up. I wouldn't have hired him if it wasn't such a simple job. He tried to get me to back out of my agreement with the guy I have doing my interior re-pipe later in the month, telling me he could do the whole thing and not cut any holes in my walls. When I told him I was going to have the old galvanized pipe removed he told me I was stupid to do that and "literally the only person ever to do that." It just seems that if you're trying to get a job from someone, telling them they are stupid for wanting to do something the right way is not a good way to go about it.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also the plumber that I have doing my re-pipe and the drywall guy I have lined up to patch everything up don't like each other. The plumber wants the drywall guy to cut the drywall he has marked up so it's all ready to go when the plumber comes. The drywall guy thinks that is stupid and told me he doesn't want to do it (but grudgingly will).

The plumber's rationale is that I don't want to pay him plumbers rates to cut drywall, and that he is really lousy at it anyway. That has some merit but the reality is that the plumber just doesn't want to do it because cutting drywall is dusty and not that much fun.

The drywall guy doesn't want to do it because it puts him in the awkward position of having to guess exactly what the plumber wants (an understandable frustration), and also probably because it makes him feel like he is just an assistant to the plumber. Told me that "in 30 years I have never cut in front of a plumber!"

The plumber is a little bit salty with a kind of abrasive personality, but he is straightforward and honest. Drywall guy I don't know as well but seemed very nice if not a little sanctimonious, but my mother recommended him (she is impossible to please) so he must be good.

Last edited:

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These guys are complicated characters. Don't you have competent Mexicans in your area?

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ohio was full of Mexicans that would do an amazing job and work like dogs. In Nashville they are all country white guys who work painfully slow. My repipe and electrical should be done Tuesday and am still looking for a drywall guy. There is a guy having what looks like an addition added to his house down the street but is just cinder block so far but he uses Mexicans. I would ask them but they are hardly ever on that guys job!

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Met with some drywall people today and they came in under the other guy. They also have references in my neighborhood so that always helps. Should be able to finish this week! The last guy quoted 11 days for drywall and paint...

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread needs more pics.
Getting bathroom redone
Initial condition

Demolition stage 1

Stage 2

Piping replaced

Floor heating installation

Cement pouring next.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think you should have kept it at stage 2 in case you need to imprison any russian dissidents

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cabbabfc2d2452033bd00c45cc3faac2.jpg

I ripped this "box" down which only housed an ugly light fixture. Going to add 2 can lights above then get a different mirror and sconces on the sides. Still debating on tile but that is far down the road for that.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New powder room connected

Lobby floor heating

Kitchen floor heating connected,

New condensation boiler installed.

Herding radiators for the final connection

Connected at last

Last edited:

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is all handwork (luckily not by me)

This window needs to be replaced (don't tell the conservation people)

I am afraid this one too...

Do we have accident insurance?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members