1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

That explains it. It should eventually go lower, but I won't hold out hope.

2. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

SG, don't you find the visual disparity between the treads and the landing too jarring?

lefty

3. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I don't find there to be much of a disparity. The color and grain direction will be the same, and these are both flat sawn. Other than the fact that one is veneer, there isn't much concern.

4. SkinnyGoomba

Ps, before anyone comments on it (like this will stop that, lol) the blue marker is from the mill, everything is in the fit up stage, there is much to do from here out to finish the lower half. Even prior to moulding and finish paint.

And that rail will not be flush against the wall when finished

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  5. SkinnyGoomba

Any thoughts on dark grey tile for the basement?

6. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

7. SkinnyGoomba

Can you explain yourself, rather than these three word, annoying as shit, piss all over everything I'm working on posts.

8. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

The way you're both soliciting advice and being reactionary and defensive is just turning everybody off. It would be tolerable, but to be honest, I don't think you understand design intuitively, which compounds the conversation's strain.

9. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Well assuming you can match the colour, I do find the repeating grain distracting. It stops my eye at a place it shouldn't.

lefty

10. SkinnyGoomba

The color will match, the oil finish turns it that color, and at the moment the treads still have a mill finish.

11. otc

otc Well-Known Member

screw the haters. I think it has potential.

The repetition is different, but I think when all finished, provided the colors match, it won't be immediately noticeable (well, to regular people) but will add something a little funky for those that pay attention.

12. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

lefty, out of curiosity, what would you do for a landing? solid walnut?

13. SkinnyGoomba

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

SG, don't take it too personal. You know the crowd here. ;)

15. SkinnyGoomba

True, I need to head back over to the drinking thread.

16. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Assuming it was in the budget, yes. I think those treads are really nice. I also would have either removed the stringer baseboard (not really sure what that is called) and had the treads come out of the wall or put in a walnut baseboard perhaps out of the same walnut veneer as the landing to get it to tie together.

It's always hard to make suggestions on SG's place because you only ever see tiny snippets of it. I do admire his skill as a woodworker.

lefty

1 person likes this.
  17. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

SG, aren't you the guy that made the humidor?

So the landing in that pic is treated and the treads are not, correct? Did you do the finish on the landing?

Shouldn't be too hard to get a color match.

18. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Not my taste. Personally not a tile guy, though. How much ceiling do you have down there? Ever any basement water issues?

19. SkinnyGoomba

Thanks Lefty,

Idfnl, that's exactly correct, I did the finish on the top and he treads are unfinished. Yes, I'm the one who did (is doing) the humidors.

This basement has been dry through Irene and Sandy, so it has a good track record. However after helping my parents toss their finished basement in the trash I'm hard to convince that it needs any wood other than the stairs. Though I'm considering finishing off another portion of this basement and redoing the part that is already finished with a fresh coat of paint and something for the floors.

20. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

Goomba, now that I see it all together, I have to admit I don't love the plywood. It sort of has me asking the question, "why?" Why use a different material on the landing than on the treads? If you're going to do that, I'd think you'd have a purpose for it, to make a statement of some sort, but then you're trying to stain it all to look the same. I dunno, it just seems like you're caught in between using a different material to create a contrast and trying to hide it by staining and finishing it all the same.

With that said... it's your house, and if you like it, then enjoy it. There's no accounting for taste - and I mean that in a non-pejorative way; e.g. there is no hard math or rules for good vs. bad for a lot of this stuff.

As for the tile, I think it's very difficult to understand what you mean when you suggest "dark grey tile" with no other descriptors and we have very little to go on with respect to the current look or style of the house and where you want to take it.

I have a dark grey tile, charcoal nearing to black, in my kitchen, and I love it. But it's meant to look like stone, and has a very rough finish.

This is it up close:

[​IMG]

And this is it in a very contemporary space:

[​IMG]

....and I love it.

But there are, like, 50 shades of grey, cold greys and warm greys, polished finishes and rough finishes, smooth and rustic textures, etc etc etc. Grout color can make two identical tiles have very different feelings as well.

Overall, I endorse tile in basements, and I actually like them even in general living spaces where they are not often a first choice, but remember they can be a little cold underfoot... especially in a basement.