• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whallyden

Reaction score
Just wrapping up work on a new build. I'm loving the newness of everything after tinkering with an antique for the last 8 years.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone here converted from a hot water heater tank to an inline system? Any thoughts?

My heaters is about 10 yrs old, will need a replacement eventually and thinking inline may be more efficient.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Only downside I've heard is that when the power goes out you dont have that tank of hot water to get you a shower or two.

Does it really save any money?

It appears they last longer too.

Also considering one of these:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm happy with the natural gas fueled one in my house, don't have to worry about it when the power goes out, it keeps running.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm finding this thread two years too late. My 1100 sqft 1921 cape and I already have plenty of fun stories... which reminds me, I still need to patch up the ceiling underneath where the upstairs toilet's (now replaced) wax seal was leaking. Ugh.

upthewazzu

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience dealing with HOA's? Mine is coming after me about a fence I built 3.5 years ago. This past Fall they passed a provision saying all fences need to be built "friendly-neighbor" style, meaning the supporting posts can only be visible on the inside. I built mine with the posts on the outside, because I paid for and built the damn thing myself, so I should be the one looking at the pretty side. Can they jack me up for something I built before the provision was passed?

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In England's we simply have the convention that support posts always go on the left so you have a nice side and a nasty side at every house. I'm not sure I could handle the politics and bitching that an HOA brings...

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Does anyone have experience dealing with HOA's? Mine is coming after me about a fence I built 3.5 years ago. This past Fall they passed a provision saying all fences need to be built "friendly-neighbor" style, meaning the supporting posts can only be visible on the inside. I built mine with the posts on the outside, because I paid for and built the damn thing myself, so I should be the one looking at the pretty side. Can they jack me up for something I built before the provision was passed?

Most HOA's dont have any power to do anything. They dont have resources to take any legal action (generally) and are at most an advisory org. Some HOAs are better funded than others but mine is pretty weak. I did an addition to my house and didn't even notify them.

If the provision wasnt there when you built it, its pretty open and shut. Even if it wasnt they couldnt really do anything. It would be up to the neighbor to sue.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

DO NOT LISTEN to idfnl! It could cost you thousands. HOAs usually have the power to apply penalties for non-compliance to the CC&Rs. Those penalties often are on a per day basis of non-compliance and in many places they can place a lean on your house. When you go to sell that lean will show up and be deducted prior to you getting dollar one for the sale of your property. Get a copy of your CC&Rs and understand thoroughly what your HOA can do in terms of compliance prior to just ignoring them.

As to your case I would hire an attorney. I would think you might be able to get grandfathered in. Please, get an attorney and do not listen to idfnl.

Last edited:

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And if they lien too hard on your house it could collapse. Good advice from Piob.

Why anyone would build a fence with the rails facing out is beyond me. It's not just ugly; it's like inviting children to climb into your yard.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

And if they lien too hard on your house it could collapse. Good advice from Piob.

Lol, that was embarrassing. Had not had my coffee yet.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any one have a suggestion on white lacquer interior doors and minimalist stainless or chrome hardware?

Last edited:

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I had the exact same problem. Wet spot on my downstairs ceiling. Not big. Not soaked or bulging. A little damp and cold. It was not under a bathroom, and I didn't think there were pipes nearby. No signs of any issues to the floor directly above. I was clueless about where it was coming from.
Cut open the ceiling and found tubing installed in the ceiling. It was used to vent hot air from my dryer out the roof. It just snakes its way through the house. The tubing had become a little dislodged on the roof and was taking in just a little bit of rain water that wound up slowly dripping at some point in the tubing above the wet spot in the ceiling. Sealed up the vent issue on the roof and just fixed the small piece of drywall on the ceiling. Good to go.
I'd check your roof and see if you've got anything up there, like an AC or some other vent, that maybe is a little loose and allowing some water in.

You need a hole you can really see in there with. Like 3 or 4" around. Flashlight. If you have to fix it, it makes no difference if its small or larger.
No evidence at all?

Turns out zbromer was just about dead on. The way my house is set up, there's actually a section of the first floor that's directly under the roof. That is, there's no second floor above it. The vents on the roof weren't sealed well, and it looks like that was the source of the water. The guy who came out to look at it caulked everything up, and it only cost me $30.

Now I just have to figure out why my heat decided last night to only run for a few minutes before shutting down. :fu:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads