• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I'm happy with the natural gas fueled one in my house, don't have to worry about it when the power goes out, it keeps running.

This. When Ike came, we were without power for two weeks, but we had hot water the whole time.

DO NOT LISTEN to idfnl! It could cost you thousands. HOAs usually have the power to apply penalties for non-compliance to the CC&Rs. Those penalties often are on a per day basis of non-compliance and in many places they can place a lean on your house. When you go to sell that lean will show up and be deducted prior to you getting dollar one for the sale of your property. Get a copy of your CC&Rs and understand thoroughly what your HOA can do in terms of compliance prior to just ignoring them.
As to your case I would hire an attorney. I would think you might be able to get grandfathered in. Please, get an attorney and do not listen to idfnl.

I've heard stories about HOA seizures in Texas, but that was a few years ago. As Piob said, check your governing paperwork.

Turns out zbromer was just about dead on. The way my house is set up, there's actually a section of the first floor that's directly under the roof. That is, there's no second floor above it. The vents on the roof weren't sealed well, and it looks like that was the source of the water. The guy who came out to look at it caulked everything up, and it only cost me $30.
Now I just have to figure out why my heat decided last night to only run for a few minutes before shutting down. :fu:

:slayer:

And, check your thermostat as to the heater cut-off. That's an easy self-fix, provided you remember to shut off the breaker and stay on top of all the wires.

ALSO, this happened to me: The furnace in our old house burned a fuse - I was able to check this because there's an LED that was flashing a code (I think it was three-short, then pause). But I was able to look up the code, get the fuse, and get the furnace running again for $3.

Last edited:

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

man, you lucked out with that repair cost. you gonna patch up the hole yourself? ceiling drywall repair is OH SO MUCH FUN.

LOL no kidding.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

man, you lucked out with that repair cost. you gonna patch up the hole yourself? ceiling drywall repair is OH SO MUCH FUN.

Yeah, I really did. When it comes to relatively minor fixes, it's awesome having "a guy," rather than a company, to call. The downside is that he has a day job, so repairs are a side gig. I called him about the HVAC problem, but I don't know if he'll be able to get out to look at it quickly, so I have a company scheduled, too. I'm hoping he calls back before they come out, but we'll see.

I resisted the temptation to cut a ginormous hole, so the damage to the drywall is small. That being the case, I'm just gonna do it myself. It won't be perfect, but it'll do.

Last edited:

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

:slayer:
And, check your thermostat as to the heater cut-off. That's an easy self-fix, provided you remember to shut off the breaker and stay on top of all the wires.
ALSO, this happened to me: The furnace in our old house burned a fuse - I was able to check this because there's an LED that was flashing a code (I think it was three-short, then pause). But I was able to look up the code, get the fuse, and get the furnace running again for $3.

I wish I could do this. I'm in the office, and the HVAC company is coming this afternoon. Maybe I'll run home at lunch and try to diagnose it.

I did mess with the thermostat this morning, and it happens regardless of the setting. It also happens even if the t-stat is set to "on," rather than "auto."

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This. When Ike came, we were without power for two weeks, but we had hot water the whole time.

Strange, doesn't the HWH have an electric component to it? Mine does.

I've heard stories about HOA seizures in Texas, but that was a few years ago. As Piob said, check your governing paperwork.

Oh god, that old troll Pioboring again?

For any HOA to collect damages or put a lien on a home they need to go to court for it. Granted I don't have a huge amount of experience with HOA's but lets be realistic. They'll go to court over something significant, but a ******* fence? Get real. Chicken little or what...

Actually, the previous owner of my house had a dispute with the neighbor over a stone wall she put in, it basically trapped all rain water in my yard. HOA did ****-all, and forced them into embarrassing meetings to air dirty laundry with the neighborhood. The wall was against HOA policy by the way. Anyway, he had to take he to court and won, she modified the wall.

I'm sure there are some hyper-vigilant HOA's out there, especially in historical preservation areas so you need to take it case by case. But lets not give HOA's more power than they actually have, they're about equal to a shopping mall security guard at best.

The joke in my neighborhood is the HOA fee's go to fund luncheons for the retired folks.

Most of my friends own homes, never heard of any disputes. Condos are another story though, what a pain ********** the condo assn can be.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
:laugh: Yes, telling someone to read their CC&Rs and understand that it is actually quite possible an HOA ******** you over is trolling. Can there be any doubt who the 2012 DOTY year is?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Strange, doesn't the HWH have an electric component to it? Mine does.
(...)
I'm sure there are some hyper-vigilant HOA's out there, especially in historical preservation areas so you need to take it case by case. But lets not give HOA's more power than they actually have, they're about equal to a shopping mall security guard at best.
(...)

Nothing electric about our WH. Pure gas. Kind of nice.

Re: Point 2 - The case-by-case clause is important.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2010/05/us_soldier_in_iraq_loses_home.html

http://www.ccfj.net/courtdecinwoodharris.htm
FN1. In reaching this decision we are mindful of the decisions of several other states which have chosen to uphold homeowners' associations' rights to foreclose for delinquent assessments. While we recognize that the decisions of these other jurisdictions are arguably distinguishable for one reason or another, we note that no reported case in any jurisdiction has reached anything other than the result we announce today. See Boyle v. Lake Forest Property Owners Ass'n, Inc., 538 F.Supp. 765, 769 (S.D.Ala.1982); Bessemer v. Gersten, 381 So.2d 1344, 1348 (Fla.1980); Kell v. Bella Vista Village Property Owners Ass'n, 258 Ark. 757, 528 S.W.2d 651, 653 (1975); William H. Bond, Jr. & Assoc., Inc. v. Lake O'The Hills Maintenance Ass'n, 381 So.2d 1043, 1044 (Miss.1980). Of particular importance is Bessemer, as it involved very similar facts to the present case. In Bessemer, the Florida Supreme Court held that the homeowners "in accepting the deed with actual or constructive notice of the lien provisions of the declaration of restrictions, manifests the intent to let the real property stand as security for the debt." Bessemer at 1348. The court thereafter allowed foreclosure, saying [T]he creation of the lien by acceptance of the deed relates back to the time of the filing of the declaration of restrictions. Thus, with regard to the time of attachment of the lien, this case is to be treated as if the respondents (homeowners) had taken title subject to a valid pre-existing lien. Since the acquisition of homestead status does not defeat prior liens ... the lienor's right prevails over the respondent's homestead right. Bessemer at 1348.

In conclusion, we hold that under the facts in the present case, the Homeowners' Association is entitled to the foreclosure of the contractual lien it has on the houses of delinquent owners. We recognize the harshness of the remedy of foreclosure, particularly when such a small sum is compared with the immeasurable value of a homestead. Under the laws of this state, however, we are bound to enforce the agreements into which the homeowners entered concerning the payment of assessments. Thus, the judgments of the trial court and court of appeals are reversed and we remand this cause to the trial court so that it may issue an order of foreclosure consistent with this opinion.

Last edited:

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All gas for me as well. I have a generator now, but t was a lifesaver when the power went out during Sandy for days to have a gas-only water heater. Also helped to have a gas stove.

Heater is gas also, but the blower motor is electric, so ended up with no heat. Lucky enough I have an addiction to cashmere.

upthewazzu

Reaction score
Why anyone would build a fence with the rails facing out is beyond me. It's not just ugly; it's like inviting children to climb into your yard.

Well, for one, I built the thing so I don't want to see the supports and for two, the little kids can climb over anytime they want to come get all the soccer balls that come flying into my yard.

I'll try to reason with them, if not I'll lawyer up and see if they really want to fight that battle.

legorogel

Reaction score
I have no clue. But to ignore idfnl is usually excellent advice.

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have no clue. But to ignore idfnl is usually excellent advice.

Aren't you the same guy that posted this?

Just let people post. If a certain someone needs to insinuate bestiality to anyone here, he tells more about himself than anything else. Giving attention to such acts might be confused with taking the poster more serious than he deserves.

Take your own advise, hypocrite.

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Since we are on the topic, anyone know if you are you allowed to opt out of an HOA?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Since we are on the topic, anyone know if you are you allowed to opt out of an HOA?

This is awesome. He goes from giving advice on an HOA, that could cost some poor guy thousands of dollars, to asking a question that would be rather stupid coming from a person that feels he has the knowledge to advise others on HOAs. Just for the record, HOAs are tied to the deed of the property, so no.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Piob is correct. Without this, an HOA would be pointless.

What would make trigger an HOA to put in such a specific rule about how to put up a fence, I wonder?

:puzzled:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads