• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The high end Chinese Shoe Thread

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
-DSC00557.jpg

My lazyman oxfords from Acme Shoemaker are here. They are indeed excellent, and fit turned out good despite taking the chance with remote MTM. I've done a substantial buyer's guide to the brand on the blog, much more info an loads of pictures there, but I paste the part that I believe are most interesting for folks of this thread:

"The making is honestly quite spectacular for shoes at this price. Close cut heels with very nicely levelled stacks, very tightly cut blind welted bevelled waist, 12 spi (stitches per inch) handmade sole stitch, neat notch between waist and heel edge, and so on. Where they lack a little bit is in the level of finishing, for example the transition where the welt is covered towards the blind welted waist isn’t perfectly executed, the top edge of the heels are slightly uneven, and small things like that. Now note, this is when I compare to the finest executed bespoke shoes in the world, which I know is who Acme wants to be compared to.

And that’s the thing, it’s really with those that Acme Shoemaker should be compared. Considering the price that they are offered with, it’s very impressive. In terms of RTW, Acme is definitely a contender to being the best in the world, and this at the price of €1,100, which is lower than all its competitors. Yohei Fukuda’s RTW is obviously very well-made, but they have machine stitched outsoles and made in a bit more “factory-esque” way. Saint Crispin’s also have machine stitched outsoles, and they are much simpler made in many regards with welt finishing, pegged waists etc. The British premium brands – Gaziano & Girling, Edward Green and John Lobb Paris and Foster & Son’s top ranges – are how well-made they ever will be still factory-made shoes, with thinner insoles, machine-made welt and sole stitches, celastic toe stiffeners etc. and all that comes with that. Only one to fully rival, on specs at least, is the Italian brand Stefano Bemer's Tradizione Collection, which cost 2/3 as much though.

When you look at MTO shoes, there’s more options available that offer something similar to Acme, although also here the fully handmade shoes with the same advanced construction isn’t that common. Main alternatives are bespoke shoemakers that also can do MTO to the same standard as their bespoke, like the fellow Chinese maker Yim Shoemaker, Japanese bespoke shoemakers like Hiro Yanagimachi, Kiyo, Seiji McCarthy etc., or Italian Antonio Meccariello with his Aurum offering. In terms of pricing it’s only Yim that’s on the same low level though.
Also for bespoke the price level is good, though not as unique. There’s of course cheaper bespoke out there, like Jan Kielman, Maftei and so on but in general they are simpler made shoes."

-DSC00154.jpg

-DSC00551.jpg

-DSC00602.jpg

-DSC00188.jpg

-DSC00617.jpg

-DSC00611.jpg

-DSC00654.jpg

-DSC00670.jpg

-DSC00664.jpg

Last edited:

BomTrady

Reaction score
View attachment 1471049

My lazyman oxfords from Acme Shoemaker are here. They are indeed excellent, and fit turned out good despite taking the chance with remote MTM. I've done a substantial buyer's guide to the brand on the blog, much more info an loads of pictures there, but I paste the part that I believe are most interesting for folks of this thread:

"The making is honestly quite spectacular for shoes at this price. Close cut heels with very nicely levelled stacks, very tightly cut blind welted bevelled waist, 12 spi (stitches per inch) handmade sole stitch, neat notch between waist and heel edge, and so on. Where they lack a little bit is in the level of finishing, for example the transition where the welt is covered towards the blind welted waist isn’t perfectly executed, the top edge of the heels are slightly uneven, and small things like that. Now note, this is when I compare to the finest executed bespoke shoes in the world, which I know is who Acme wants to be compared to.

And that’s the thing, it’s really with those that Acme Shoemaker should be compared. Considering the price that they are offered with, it’s very impressive. In terms of RTW, Acme is definitely a contender to being the best in the world, and this at the price of €1,100, which is lower than all its competitors. Yohei Fukuda’s RTW is obviously very well-made, but they have machine stitched outsoles and made in a bit more “factory-esque” way. Saint Crispin’s also have machine stitched outsoles, and they are much simpler made in many regards with welt finishing, pegged waists etc. The British premium brands – Gaziano & Girling, Edward Green and John Lobb Paris and Foster & Son’s top ranges – are how well-made they ever will be still factory-made shoes, with thinner insoles, machine-made welt and sole stitches, celastic toe stiffeners etc. and all that comes with that. Only one to fully rival, on specs at least, is the Italian brand Stefano Bemer's Tradizione Collection, which cost 2/3 as much though.

When you look at MTO shoes, there’s more options available that offer something similar to Acme, although also here the fully handmade shoes with the same advanced construction isn’t that common. Main alternatives are bespoke shoemakers that also can do MTO to the same standard as their bespoke, like the fellow Chinese maker Yim Shoemaker, Japanese bespoke shoemakers like Hiro Yanagimachi, Kiyo, Seiji McCarthy etc., or Italian Antonio Meccariello with his Aurum offering. In terms of pricing it’s only Yim that’s on the same low level though.
Also for bespoke the price level is good, though not as unique. There’s of course cheaper bespoke out there, like Jan Kielman, Maftei and so on but in general they are simpler made shoes."

View attachment 1471050

View attachment 1471051

View attachment 1471053

View attachment 1471054

View attachment 1471055

View attachment 1471056

View attachment 1471057

View attachment 1471058

View attachment 1471059
'Fantastic post and article. I happened to be emailing Oliver, back-and-forth, regarding my order when I read your article and it prompted me to add toe taps. So, thanks for that. BTW, Oliver is a true pleasure to deal with. He is very attentive, super responsive and customer oriented, as he seems to be working through the Chinese National holiday, despite me telling him my issues can wait until the Holiday is over.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'Fantastic post and article. I happened to be emailing Oliver, back-and-forth, regarding my order when I read your article and it prompted me to add toe taps. So, thanks for that. BTW, Oliver is a true pleasure to deal with. He is very attentive, super responsive and customer oriented, as he seems to be working through the Chinese National holiday, despite me telling him my issues can wait until the Holiday is over.

Good to hear! :) Yes, he is indeed, have heard from several others who've had the same experience as well.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wasn't sure who I was talking to ACME on IG, but whoever is on the other side was definitely very responsive, the only thing stopping me is the unknown in sizing, definitely waiting for a few more people to say a few words on sizing in their RTW

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wasn't sure who I was talking to ACME on IG, but whoever is on the other side was definitely very responsive, the only thing stopping me is the unknown in sizing, definitely waiting for a few more people to say a few words on sizing in their RTW

It was Oliver then, he's in charge of their IG.

BomTrady

Reaction score
@clee1982 I'll report back as soon as I receive my RTW. The good thing is that Oliver and team have substantial experience working with a variety of other well-known shoes to help with fitting. I am also working on a MTM.

If the RTW sizing fails, the SpTD's are beautiful enough to put in a glass box and just display. : )

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
aha half size too small, I was suggested CJ sizing basically (i.e.8.5UK, so the usual one size down from my 9.5US size), I remember he was saying N83 (the one for lazyman and split toe) is slightly more accommodating.

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@clee1982 ? You're too kind. I was told I am 8UK in Acme RTW, based on other shoes, but we'll see ?.
Funny you ask......tomorrow.
I am 8 Uk too in most brands except EG/G&G where I size up half size and would appreciate your input. May I know what size you wear in some brands like EG, G&G, C&J, Carmina, etc

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
latinphrases33