• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The GQ Fit (I want it as tight as possible without cutting off circulation)

GloStiX

Reaction score
I think this is (at a lesser extent) similar to what women must experience when it comes to their body image in relation to hyperreal images in mass media. Try explaining to a teenage girl with anorexia that she is too skinny. Most guys have completely unrealistic expectations when it comes to fit. It's not magic; it's clothing. Some men have genuine mental issues when it comes to this, and all I can do is try to convince them that what they see in the mirror and what other people see is not the same thing.

I have thought about this a lot as well. I know that to some extent it is indeed media-based body image conditioning, i.e. after seeing the below picture, you would find your typical Brooks Brothers fit WAAAY too loose. Funny that you call it a mental issue, I brought a friend of mine to a suit fitting with me in New York before, and he jokingly said "this is like your Munchhausen's (a mental disorder)", in reference to how meticulously tight I preferred the fit, but I know I'm not the only one, because even the tailor told me they have often seen guys with that fit.

What then do you think "other people" think when they see a guy in a skinny suit?

FlyGuy

Reaction score
Suits are all about proportions; however, the watch and shoes make the man.

jedwards

Reaction score

What then do you think "other people" think when they see a guy in a skinny suit?
With that Dior homme pic above.. The thing is, you dont even know if the model is truly that slim. It may simply be photoshopped for the advert. And really, would you want to look that skinny? Not that there's anything wrong with being naturally slim, it's how I'd describe my own build, but I'd never want to look 'skinny' Dior Homme-style as a fully grown man. The best thing you can do is get yourself to HM, Topman or whatever stock up on those skinny fit suits get them tapered further to your desire and then burn the look out. No serious tailor of the type we discuss on here is ever going to make you something that looks that skin tight.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

No serious tailor of the type we discuss on here is ever going to make you something that looks that skin tight.

He could hire a body painter.

(disclosure: not Dior Homme)

Last edited:

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
(Guy comes in asking what people think, everyone tells him the same thing, he isn't interested in taking the advice. Isn't there already a meme or a gif for this?)

It seems like you're asking for information about specific bespoke tailors. If you're going to have something made for you, you'll get the best advice from meeting a professional in person, rather than getting all the hypotheticals here. Every non-overweight 20-something I know who's gone bespoke started by asking for slim suits, and then regretted it. Most tailors are reasonable people who will cut you something on the slim side, but they'll try to convince you not to go too far and will try to ensure the suit can be let out if you gain weight later.

BD22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Congrats to the OP for hitting a nerve with his inquiry. I love a good SF debate but usually stumble upon it only in its twilight hours.

I'm what the some other posters here would refer to as a young guy and I'm guilty on the charge of liking the GQ Fit, as OP's pictures illustrate it. To address one of his original questions, a good tailor should be able to recreate the fit if the wearer's physique allows for it, but the contingency is a big one and, upon reflection, reveals either OP's inexperience with bespoke tailoring or inadequate consideration prior to posting. In a reasonable range, fit doesn't create problems for the tailor in isolation; rather, it's in creating the fit for the particular wearer that problems arise.

And this is, in my experience, one of the problems with the GQ fit. It's infeasible not only for out-of-shape guys, but for guys with hollow backs and thereby, usually, prominent glutes, and guys with who've done any kind of lower-body lifting. Having a jacket that accommodates a prominent seat hovering above skinny trousers make for a very top-heavy profile. And there's no way your trousers can taper straight from your crotch to you ankles if you've even marginally developed quads. Looking terrible naked is the price of looking good suited up. (I'm just as vain as you are bro.)

In addition, my general aesthetic appreciation notwithstanding, the crotch area on the images the OP posted looks terrible, and those are pictures of models who aren't walking around, which causes the pants to ride up even further. The thing about fishing for compliments is that the people who laugh at your vanity bulge usually keep it to themselves.

The excessive wear on the crotch and restrictiveness that others have pointed out are real problems for some people. But OP's adopted the persona of a rich guy who wears a suit primarily for public display (I'm, again, also guilty – but not on the rich part), so he'll probably dismiss them.

Even if you're inclined to and financially capable of be on-trend, though, going with classic proportions saves you from having to look at unflattering pictures yourself in fifteen years.

Imagine a whole facebook's worth of these.

So if you have the body for it and want the compliments, then go with god. I don't know of any houses that specialize in the style, but I've worked exclusively with WW Chan and, though their house style is classically British, I've seen them dress some slim guys to – I'd imagine – your liking. I would esp. caution you to avoid skinny lapels, though from the pictures you posted, it seems you're not really after that look.

But the collective wisdom of the vicious masses here is one worth considering. If not a fast-lane to vaginal entry, traditional tailoring flatters you to a wider audience for a longer period of time (there's a reason politicians avoid D&G). And as for the romancing, god forbid you develop an attractive personality.

Last edited:

GloStiX

Reaction score
Congrats to the OP for hitting a nerve with his inquiry.

The excessive wear on the crotch and restrictiveness that others have pointed out are real problems for some people. But OP's adopted the persona of a rich guy who wears a suit primarily for public display (I'm, again, also guilty – but not on the rich part), so he'll probably dismiss them.

Even if you're inclined to and financially capable of be on-trend, though, going with classic proportions saves you from having to look at unflattering pictures yourself in fifteen years.

So if you have the body for it and want the compliments, then go with god. I don't know of any houses that specialize in the style, but I've worked exclusively with WW Chan and, though their house style is classically British, I've seen them dress some slim guys to – I'd imagine – your liking. I would esp. caution you to avoid skinny lapels, though from the pictures you posted, it seems you're not really after that look.

But the collective wisdom of the vicious masses here is one worth considering. If not a fast-lane to vaginal entry, traditional tailoring flatters you to a wider audience for a longer period of time (there's a reason politicians avoid D&G). And as for the romancing, god forbid you develop an attractive personality.

Yes I intended to hit a nerve, complete with a sensationalist thread title, but I do earnestly want to learn about the technical aspects of this fit.

But I have no clue where you got that I developed some persona, especially of a "rich guy", and who wears suits "for public display" (what the hell is that, an exhibitionist?).

It is interesting that this thread has become so multi-dimensional, with much talk of how to romance women, but I myself had already posted before you:
what makes a guy be more attractive is demeanor/body language/personality/etc. and in the looks department, things like face, height, blah blah before how tight your suit is

I don't know where you guys got the idea that skinny suits are used to seduce women... it's simply signalling good up-to-date fashion sense, one tiny part of a well-rounded package that makes a man attractive.

This topic is clearly laden with emotional land-mines for many Styleforum posters, it's actually been surprisingly entertaining, with even a couple first posters chiming in too. I hope we can have a candid discussion without the emotional reactions, judgements, and biases. I just wanna know more about skinny suits.

Oh, and as far as everyone saying it's too restrictive: 1% spandex blend
satisfied.gif

Seamless

Reaction score
The average person can't really tell skinny from well tailored. Most people call my TF suit skinny or euro slim when it's not even close.

BD22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
But I have no clue where you got that I developed some persona, especially of a "rich guy", and who wears suits "for public display" (what the hell is that, an exhibitionist?).

I don't know where you guys got the idea that skinny suits are used to seduce women...
I (and the young ladies) love this fit...
This is what women of all ages are brainwashed to want these days, by media and consumer culture influences, yes I admit, but that doesn't change things...

I understand it's a trend, but everything is disposable in the modern world so why not a new suit every 5ish years? Totally reasonable.

And as far as looking sexy vs. respectable, well I think clothes OUGHT to make a person look sexy.

Yes I intended to hit a nerve, complete with a sensationalist thread title, but I do earnestly want to learn about the technical aspects of this fit.

This topic is clearly laden with emotional land-mines for many Styleforum posters, it's actually been surprisingly entertaining, with even a couple first posters chiming in too.

You wanted entertainment and SF obliged, in exchange for which we help ourselves to ridicule. So don't get all defensive. I and several others gave you several points of substance about the potential pitfalls of the fit. If you are earnest about your earnestness, why don't you continue the conversation with an eye on those?

By the way, if I see a doc come into the examination room with a slim-fit, 1% spandex white coat, I'm demanding a replacement. Kudos on you for taking the corporate route.

Last edited:

Stencil

Reaction score
Quote:
I'm rereading this, and feeling like I'm in some sort of White Noise-esque alternate universe. This thread continues to amuse.

And a new suit every 5 years? I applaud you for your eager acceptance of wastefulness and mediocrity -- banal, but not alone!

Another consideration -- respectable tailoring houses tend not to produce garments that way because the clothing isn't functional, by which I mean a few things: 1) spandex textiles aside, it isn't very comfortable. 2) There are serious limitations to your range of motion. 3) Those same limitation result in pulling and creasing that will cause your garments to wear out relatively quickly. It's a good thing that you want to buy new suits every 5 years, because that's how long they'd last anyway with what you're asking for.

Besides, many people tend to forget that Western tailoring does, for all the antiquated elements of its aesthetics, have roots in the practical. Suits served to keep one warm, provide personal storage, signal certain forms of social engagement, and serve a variety of other purposes (hunting, travel, business, etc.), all while retaining comfort and ROM. The skinny suit is a conceptual endeavor, one that sheds a lot of this practicality and places an emphasis on aesthetics. It's sort of a limited, and in my view, uninteresting garment in that regard.

pine tree

Reaction score

I'm rereading this, and feeling like I'm in some sort of White Noise-esque alternate universe. This thread continues to amuse.

And a new suit every 5 years? I applaud you for your eager acceptance of wastefulness and mediocrity -- banal, but not alone!

Another consideration -- respectable tailoring houses tend not to produce garments that way because the clothing isn't functional, by which I mean a few things: 1) spandex textiles aside, it isn't very comfortable. 2) There are serious limitations to your range of motion. 3) Those same limitation result in pulling and creasing that will cause your garments to wear out relatively quickly. It's a good thing that you want to buy new suits every 5 years, because that's how long they'd last anyway with what you're asking for.

Besides, many people tend to forget that Western tailoring does, for all the antiquated elements of its aesthetics, have roots in the practical. Suits served to keep one warm, provide personal storage, signal certain forms of social engagement, and serve a variety of other purposes (hunting, travel, business, etc.), all while retaining comfort and ROM. The skinny suit is a conceptual endeavor, one that sheds a lot of this practicality and places an emphasis on aesthetics. It's sort of a limited, and in my view, uninteresting garment in that regard.

Maybe it is because the skinny suit was designed for the skinny man? Men are beginning to act like their female counterparts; Slowly getting more obese and trying to make up for it with their clothes. I guarantee you this style wouldn't be a problem if everyone was under 150 pounds and I am assuming the OP doesn't fall under that category.

fieldofdreams

Reaction score

It is interesting that this thread has become so multi-dimensional, with much talk of how to romance women, but I myself had already posted before you:
what makes a guy be more attractive is demeanor/body language/personality/etc. and in the looks department, things like face, height, blah blah before how tight your suit is

I don't know where you guys got the idea that skinny suits are used to seduce women... it's simply signalling good up-to-date fashion sense, one tiny part of a well-rounded package that makes a man attractive.

This topic is clearly laden with emotional land-mines for many Styleforum posters, it's actually been surprisingly entertaining, with even a couple first posters chiming in too. I hope we can have a candid discussion without the emotional reactions, judgements, and biases. I just wanna know more about skinny suits.

Oh, and as far as everyone saying it's too restrictive: 1% spandex blend
satisfied.gif

I'm curious, OP, where do you live? also, where would you wear a suit and that was as form fitting to your body as davidson frere's are? I've been skinny suits in person, but I have never seen a suit so aggressively tapered to a lean muscular body.

Anyway, if you have that kind of body, I say go for it. You will probably get some strange looks and some compliments.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads