• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Film thread

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can someone explain the Frozen hype to me? :/

Well I think that the people who really hype this movie fall into three categories.

First, are those with children who want to go to the movies and see something that appeals to an audience in more than one age group. Frozen does okay with this, though it's no Toy Story.

Second, are those who just really like musicals. My wife falls into this category.

Third, are those trapped in a state of arrested development and yearn to connect with media designed for younger audiences, as it allows them to feel successful in the false endeavor to hold on to their youth. I suspect much of the hype comes from the third group, since they aren't mature enough to not be hysterical about everything they "love" or "hate".

I also believe that a certain portion of the hype is just purely coincidental in that a movie about a prolonged winter happened to debut during one of the worst winters in recent American history. So pop song about being cold and activities to do in said cold tie nicely with the fact that there was extreme/prolonged cold.

That said, it's an okay movie. It's not great, it's not horrible. Probably not worth paying to see in the theaters.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Yo, list good movie from 2012-2014, I haven't watched much. I am mainly interested in well made popular intertainment as I haven't been following much in that regard.

Recent "popular" movies I saw:

-The Lincoln lawyer: yuck!
-Star Trek into the darkness: ok I guess, don't know **** about ST anyway but it's big and there are explosions and people who wear so much makeup they look like action figures.
-American hustle: mid-phase Scorsese done by late phase Scorsese as a joke. Really bad except for the main protagonist's wife.
-Wolf of wallstreet: saw 5 minutes of this and decided I didn't deserve to be subjected to this ****.
-The wolverine: yeah ok, unity of place made this decent for what it is (a generic action film).
-Looper: pretty good, a time travel story told with a linear, experiential narrative. Very clever writing. I also liked Brick.
-silver linings playbook: cute love story, not much to it but likeable film. Forgot what happened but had a good time.
-Django unchained: *****r *****r this that **** **** bang. ************* movie.
-zero dark thirty: First part was entertaining. I guess this and the bombsquad movie are about how you can only truly be an american in the fully mythic sense of the term in extreme situations but your very own realisation of that yearning will undermine the conditions that allowed this ascension, letting you deal with the fall. I liked the way it was treated better in the first movie.

Ok, going to another search I also saw these:

Lawless: yeah, ok
end of watch: I like cop movies. Handheld was distracting.
skyfall: James Bond is boring
the iceman: listen to the doc, film is fail
Jack reacher: honest entertainment and there's Herzog who plays in a different movie.
Argo: Nice
Prometheus: *************
Anna Karenina: don't ask
Bourne Legacy: don't remember
Killing them softly: overdone bullshit
Iron sky: I was hangover and didn't initiate said movie watching, Z movie style
The great gatsby: worst movie I have seen, I hate the director anyway and can't stand DiCaprio.
Homefront: dumb but at least there's fists flying

Think that's about it, oh yeah saw most of the first hobbit film.

Last edited:

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yo, list good movie from 2012-2014, I haven't watched much. I am mainly interested in well made popular intertainment as I haven't been following much in that regard.

Recent "popular" movies I saw:

-The Lincoln lawyer: yuck!
-Star Trek into the darkness: ok I guess, don't know **** about ST anyway but it's big and there are explosions and people who wear so much makeup they look like action figures.
-American hustle: mid-phase Scorsese done by late phase Scorsese as a joke. Really bad except for the main protagonist's wife.
-Wolf of wallstreet: saw 5 minutes of this and decided I didn't deserve to be subjected to this ****.
-The wolverine: yeah ok, unity of place made this decent for what it is (a generic action film).
-Looper: pretty good, a time travel story told with a linear, experiential narrative. Very clever writing. I also liked Brick.
-silver linings playbook: cute love story, not much to it but likeable film. Forgot what happened but had a good time.
-zero dark thirty: First part was entertaining. I guess this and the bombsquad movie are about how you can only truly be an american in the fully mythic sense of the term in extreme situations but your very own realisation of that yearning will undermine the conditions that allowed this ascension, letting you deal with the fall. I liked the way it was treated better in the first movie.

Ok, going to another search I also saw these:

Lawless: yeah, ok
end of watch: I like cop movies. Handheld was distracting.
skyfall: James Bond is boring
the iceman: listen to the doc, film is fail
Jack reacher: honest entertainment and there's Herzog who plays in a different movie.
Argo: Nice
Prometheus: *************
Anna Karenina: don't ask
Bourne Legacy: don't remember
Killing them softly: overdone bullshit
Iron sky: I was hangover and didn't initiate said movie watching, Z movie style
The great gatsby: worst movie I have seen, I hate the director anyway and can't stand DiCaprio.
Homefront: dumb but at least there's fists flying

Think that's about it, oh yeah saw most of the first hobbit film.

Wes anderson's new movie is still in theaters, I loved it although some appear to hate it. Moonrise Kingdom was 2012 and will be the same deal for you. I thought Under the Skin looked great but I haven't got a chance to see it yet (scarlett johansson as an alien seducing men and killing them). Gravity will be great if you're a space nerd or aren't one of those people who hates special effects.

I don't watch a lot of movies either, so that's all I've got.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First you need to watch Taken 2

and here's a list, I don't remember much about some of those but I enjoyed them. Films bourrins, films boring, films for snobs, there's a bit of everything.

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (Tomas Alfredson)
The Raid: Redemption (Gareth Evans)
Martha Marcy May Marlene (Sean Durkin)
Kill List (Ben Wheatley)
Oslo, August 31st (Joachim Trier)
Mud (Jeff Nichols)
No (Pablo Larrain)
Wolf Children (Mamoru Hosoda)
The Land of Hope (Sono Sion)
21 Jump Street (Phil Lord, Chris Miller)
Metro Manila (Sean Ellis)
The Wall (Julian Polsler)
Beyond the Hills (Cristian Mungiu)
Dans la Maison (Francois Ozon)
The Place Beyond the Pines (Derek Cianfrance)
Modest Reception (Mani Haghighi)
Barbara (Christian Petzold)
Prisoners (Denis Villeneuve)
Michael Kohlhaas (Arnaud des Pallières)
Like Father, Like Son (Hirozaku Kore-Eda)
Snowpiercer (Bong Joon Ho)

still need to see:

The Immigrant (James Gray)
Drug War (Johnnie To)

Is Anna Karenina really bad ? I kinda like his previous films.

Have you seen The Brothers Bloom ? It's lighter and goofier than those two but enjoyable.

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
My recents:

Pain & Gain - Very entertained even though I felt a bit dirty after when I saw some documentaries about the crimes and they were not at all comedic. Still I love the Miami drugs, money, bitches, cars movies

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead - Very good, would of liked it to be shorter though

The Mummy - Still enjoy this movie, can't get enough of those late 20's adventure settings. Found out there is a new one coming in 2016 going back to its horror roots set in a universe with Frankenstein, Van Helsing etc.

District B13 - Saw the trailer for "Brick Mansions" and said wait a minute.....its even the same guy...

Wolf of Wall Street - Going to have to disagree with fuuma here, its not watch twice enjoyable, but I thought it was pretty good, I mean the movie starts off with blowing coke up a prostitutes ass...

Lone Survivor - Enjoyed it a lot, have to suspend disbelief at some of these soldiers decisions but still a good one

Three Kings - One of my favorites

Serenity - One of my favorites

NOAH - Enjoyed until
they made Noah a homicidal baby killer plus the rock things...

Noob I saw posters of that movie a while back with just "()" very subtle and clever

Last edited:

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
spoiler the Noah bit plz

District B13 - Saw the trailer for "Brick Mansions" and said wait a minute.....its even the same guy...

The creative genius of BessonCorp.

Pain&Gain is the best Michael Bay film since The Rock

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
I could swear I did, hmmm. It is now

I quote Pain & Gain all the time

Donut

Reaction score
I didn't watch too many new films last year but these ones stick out for me:
The Hunt
The Great Beauty (homage to La Dolce Vita)
Inside Llewyn Davis
Mud
Dallas Buyer's Club

Also forgot to say, but I enjoyed Le Mepris much much more than Breathless. Thanks sipang for that rec.

EDIT: You will like Drug Wars. I'm biased though because I love Johnnie To's films.

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fuuma, just skip the recent movies (which you seem to hate) and grab the Homeland and Game of Thrones and Walking Dead DVDs. I suppose you could hate them, too, but they are popular, and (forgive me) so cold and so sweet...

For big loud stupid swinging dick action, I thought Avengers was pretty interesting from a writing perspective. It's always neat to see how Joss Whedon can almost save a doomed enterprise by trying to tease out character amidst the explosions.

Last edited:

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

First you need to watch Taken 2

and here's a list, I don't remember much about some of those but I enjoyed them. Films bourrins, films boring, films for snobs, there's a bit of everything.

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (Tomas Alfredson)
The Raid: Redemption (Gareth Evans)
Martha Marcy May Marlene (Sean Durkin)
Kill List (Ben Wheatley
Oslo, August 31st (Joachim Trier)
Mud (Jeff Nichols)
No (Pablo Larrain)
Wolf Children (Mamoru Hosoda)
The Land of Hope (Sono Sion)
21 Jump Street (Phil Lord, Chris Miller)
Metro Manila (Sean Ellis)
The Wall (Julian Polsler)
Beyond the Hills (Cristian Mungiu)
Dans la Maison (Francois Ozon)

The Place Beyond the Pines (Derek Cianfrance)
Modest Reception (Mani Haghighi)
Barbara (Christian Petzold)
Prisoners (Denis Villeneuve)
Michael Kohlhaas (Arnaud des Pallières)
Like Father, Like Son (Hirozaku Kore-Eda)
Snowpiercer (Bong Joon Ho)

still need to see:

The Immigrant (James Gray)
Drug War (Johnnie To)

Is Anna Karenina really bad ? I kinda like his previous films.
Have you seen The Brothers Bloom ? It's lighter and goofier than those two but enjoyable.

Saw the ones in bold. Anna Karenina is watchable IF you like his style, not good but I guess it's like the thinking man's Baz Luhrmann. I'm already planning to watch Michael Kohlhaas, Mud, Oslo, like father like son and the immigrant + the latest DePalma but they're not really the big,bombastic movies I was talking about. Well snowpiercer is, good rec.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

Fuuma, just skip the recent movies (which you seem to hate) and grab the Homeland and Game of Thrones and Walking Dead DVDs. I suppose you could hate them, too, but they are popular, and (forgive me) so cold and so sweet...

For big loud stupid swinging dick action, I thought Avengers was pretty interesting from a writing perspective. It's always neat to see how Joss Whedon can almost save a doomed enterprise by trying to tease out character amidst the explosions.

I watched most of the first season of homeland and didn't like it (I watch quite a few tv series) but I feel like watching movies now. Didn't like GoT. The avengers seems like a good rec.

hoodyear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Finally tracked down a copy of Snowpiercer last week. As a big Bong Joon-Ho fan my expectations were ludicrously high, but I have to say for the most part it met them. I think Masterson dropped the ball with the English dialogue, which too often sounded like it had been simply translated rather than written. Evans's performance was only passable, but the acting was strong overall. Swinton was brilliant, needless to say. I can see why Weinstein wanted to cut it too, though that would have been a mistake.

Overall, I thought it was inspired. Dark and messy, but lyrical and so so vivid and totally captivating.

Last edited:

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The creative genius of BessonCorp.

Taxi is fun though, 2nd one is alright too (after that it went downhill fast)

And I also started watching Homefront a while ago, but just couldn't stand all the stupid **** done by the main-girl whatever her name was.

For tv-series, these are probably my favorite ones that I've watched or am watching since 1-2 years:
- Shameless, season 4 was probably the best season yet (not to say season 1-3 weren't good, because they really were)
- Suits, pretty simple series but solid acting and script
- Castle, the one series above all others in the genre of "relatively light-hearted crime-series with a new crime almost every week and humor/romance too"
- The Musketeers, nice production, alright acting, pretty good storylines
- Sherlock <3
- True Detective <3
- Almost Human, best sci-fi series I've seen since firefly, also relatively light-hearted and kinda similar to Castle
- House of Cards, season 2 was even better than season 1
- Misfits, first 3 seasons are so so great
- Banshee, this is pretty good, ex-criminal takes on the role of Sheriff in a small town controlled by a merciless "business-man"

Only seen 1-2 episode of each yet:
- Hinterland, dark moody british crime-drama, seems really good from the first episode
- TURN, new series revolving around the creation and activites of the Culper Ring at the height of the American Revolutionary War
- Silicon Valley, hey this is actually pretty funny
- Utopia, fuuuuuuuck this series is dark (beautiful cinematography, thrilling story and good acting though)

"Whatever"-stuff I still watch because I'm bored and have no life:
- Arrow, superhero/crimefighter
- House of Lies, has it's moments, would not watch if Don Cheadle wasn't the main character
- Person of Interest, eccentric billionaire + rough ex-military + others stop crimes and **** with the help of supersmart sentient computer
- Perception, dunno why I still watch this
- The Mentalist, or this hah

dan138zig

Reaction score

the only two recent films that blew me away: a separation and blue is the warmest color. uhm, but if you're looking for "entertainment films" then I highly recommend this movie called The Raid. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1899353/

Last edited:

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Couldn't watch past 10 min into a separation, boringly depressing representation of a reality that's been an attempt of every other Iranian film post-79.

The only tv series worth watching to me is the new Cosmos.

Sorry to come off as so dismissive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads