• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The End of the Sartorial Road

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think buying new clothes still brings me joy. The stuff I buy now is definitely more expensive than what I was getting 10 years ago so I really try not to go nuts (I'm also limited by the space available in a DC apartment). Long story short, clothes are fun.
Totally agree. Am taking a page out of @lordsuperb 's playbook and spending more on activities and travel vice tailoring now. I've had a bit of a head start and am just further down the road now.

Lofi_Moby

Reaction score
Consumerism can be a poison in high doses. Its always important to just be content with what you have sometimes. 99% of the people on this forum aren't walking down runways or modeling for brands so how important is it to be dressed immaculately?

I'll get off my soap box now lol

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Consumerism can be a poison in high doses. Its always important to just be content with what you have sometimes. 99% of the people on this forum aren't walking down runways or modeling for brands so how important is it to be dressed immaculately?

I'll get off my soap box now lol
I would say very, actually. I love to dress well for all the reasons that brought most of us here. Everything can be overdone of course.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You never will reach the end. If you're really into clothing and tailoring, you will always find new interests and motivations and won't ever stop learning new things.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once you guys get tired of clothes i think tattoos are the next logical step.
I’m hoping the tat fad is fading. Got quite out of control.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably never but I wonder how much nice tailoring I’ll actually wear once retired? I’ve covered most of the bases in both CM and casual and likely won’t need much unless I blimp out.
Your situation more or less patterns mine. It’s been a while since I’ve shelled out for any traditional CM items - suit / sport jacket / wool strides / business shoes / shirts / ties etc.

I was probably on a gradual acquisition reduction anyway due to saturation but the aftermath of covid has - like for many others - dramatically accelerated that reduction.

I started a new job a couple of months ago which has so far meant less business travel and more WFH. I’m not so ridiculous as to be poncing about the house in a blazer or a shirt, tie and silk dressing gown like Sherlock Holmes. I look at some of the gear I’ve collected and - like you - wonder how many more times they’ll get worn between now and retirement in the next ten years or less. I have one daughter so not much there that she’ll want to snatch, and a lot of what I have will not transition easily to a retiree’s wardrobe. I’m already slowly starting to list some stuff on eBay.

Sometimes I think about a certain item I’d like to own - maybe a houndstooth blazer in the perfect shade of dark blue and cream? - then I wonder where I’d wear it and how often?

I seem to have transitioned to spending an obscene amount of money on sunglasses which I can at least justify as a daily necessity year-round here in FL. But in all honestly the end of the road may be in sight and I feel the pull away from acquisition and towards just wearing and enjoying what I’ve accumulated already.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads