• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive MANBAG Thread, Part II: 2014~

letsi

Reaction score

Those bags have nothing to do with what I am looking for.

Well, sorry for trying to help then. Was thinking this bag had some passing resemblance to the billykirks and you could put in a request to reduce the dimensions before purchase since they are made to order.

All the best for your search.

Last edited:

ertu

Reaction score
Well, sorry for trying to help then. Was thinking this bag had some passing resemblance to the billykirks and you could put in a request to reduce the dimensions before purchase since they are made to order.

All the best for your search.

Hey don't worry about. I was just saying I was looking for something around 8x10 vertical, the bags in your link were all horizontal types, I already have a whole bunch of those types of bags. I wasn't looking for something custom made either, just something off the shelf I can buy right away. Thanks for replying anyways.

Last edited:

letsi

Reaction score

Hey don't worry about. I was just saying I was looking for something around 8x10 vertical, the bags in your link were all horizontal types, I already have a whole bunch of those types of bags. I wasn't looking for something custom made either, just something off the shelf I can buy right away. Thanks for replying anyways.

No offense taken then. Unfortunately, the bags listed on his Esty site are more or less made to order so the wait time will always be anytime between 1 to 2 months. All the best in your search though.

flashkobalt

Reaction score

Hello

I am looking for a similar bag like this, most importantly it has to be around the same size, around 8 x 10 vertical. can be leather or canvas or nylon, but i posted the leather ones cause it is the easiest to show an example.

I see these 2 billykirk satchels, but i don't like the visible thick hand stitching, looks like some DIY hack job. I want something more cleaner looking stitched with a sewing machine.

I also like this nylon bag, it is what i am looking for, but the problem is it is a touch too small

Any suggestions?

http://www.cambridgesatchel.com/pre...1.html?cgid=womens-premium-collection#start=9

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
What are people's thoughts on unlined leather bags? I finally found something I really like in terms of the size, aesthetic, materials, and origin (small-batch workshop made rather than mass-produced in a factory). The only thing that's holding me back is the lack of a lining. The leather itself is described as veg tanned reverse cordovan. I asked the maker, and he said the leather dye shouldn't transfer to any of the bag contents. Does anyone have experience with an unlined bag?

It's this one, by the way, but I'm getting it with a thicker strap:

https://andrewmcdonald.com.au/accessories/bags/bota

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unlined is awful.

ertu

Reaction score
Last edited:

pdsf

Reaction score
^Have you seen the Archival musette in real life? I have one and it's not flimsy at all (might look that way online). Yes, it's light, and it's supposed to be that way. I like it so much I bought another one with the leather strap. They do a slightly bigger/thicker version for more $$.

I haven't seen anything similar anywhere. If you are not in a rush to get it, wait for the occasional discount code. That's how I got my leather-strap version. FYI I have never seen them put it in the Odds and Ends section.

pdsf

Reaction score

I have a question because quality is constantly changing. Barring Hermes, what do people think are the top 5 men's bag makers currently considering design and quality of materials and craftsmanship?

Very late response but this bag whore has been away. Just a few names I came up with (before coffee):

Entermodal (they might still take custom orders)
Guy Chanel
April in Paris

I believe the above makers are similar in quality (and price!) to Hermes.

Within the more affordable range, I have to say Lotuff is not bad. I have a small duffle from them and it's worked out very well. I do some leatherwork on the side so I pay a lot of attention to quality, design and construction and their duffle passed my test!

I would expect Frank Clegg's stuff to be similar but I haven't seen them in real life. Lotuff's customer service is much better.

Oh, and I have been very impressed with Seil Marschall (not a leather bag maker, I know...). The hiking backpack is really well made. The thing feels solid, but not too heavy. The straps will soften over time, making it even more comfortable to use. The quality of the leather used is very good. Frank Leder did a collab with them (check NMWA). Kaufmann also has their version.

.Impulsv

Reaction score

What are these bags called? The ones you wear across the chest, and the one with a wrist loop in the center pic? What would I search for?

A bag I've really enjoyed wearing this summer is this, a small leather number I found on eBay for $30. It's just big enough to carry a Kindle or iPad mini, along with pens, a small notebook, and other sundry items.

I'm looking for a darker one for winter, preferably with a print and of better quality, and don't know what search terms I should be using.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with Tarnsjo Garveri? I won't be purchasing anytime soon, but saw their Icon Briefcase on Mr Porter last night.

HERE

I'm not normally a fan of this type of briefcase design, but I really like what they did here. Covering most of the clasp in leather gives the bag a more casual design that looks like it would pair well dressed up or down. Having a removable document holder in the back is a clever idea and it's a good size. Only thing i'm not a fan of is the price. $1700 is a lot to ask for in a bag and you start opening yourself up some of the higher end competition on the market. I'd be curious if anyone has seen and held on IRL and can comment on it's quality and value.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads