• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive MANBAG Thread, Part II: 2014~

coloRLOw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i intend to buy a (leather) tote too, and notice some RLPL on ebay

but i don't have any personal experience with RLPL leather accessories and bags

it seem their briefcases have very high reputation ( by SAB?), but anyone can comment on those casual leather bags considering they are pricey as well?

many thanks!

DesignerValet

Reaction score

I think I found something that is going to work well and is reasonably priced @ $90 - the Billykirk Tote collab with Target. I got the olive version like this but there's also a tan and black ver too.

I'm glad you found something you like.

None of the options look particularly "beach-y" though: I probably would've spec'd a made-to-order LL Bean tote for around $60.

DesignerValet

Reaction score

Agreed -- too many Jack Spade-alikes and not enough reputable makers.

Price point isn't really my issue, I just want to find the right bag. Did you have something in mind at higher odds?

Longchamp, T. Anthony, and even Polo RL make some nice-looking nylon/canvas briefs under $500. I no first-hand experience with any of them, though.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm glad you found something you like.

None of the options look particularly "beach-y" though:

Agreed, the Billykirk in Tan would have probably been closer but I just preferred the olive. If I like it enough, I might get the tan too...

I probably would've spec'd a made-to-order LL Bean tote for around $60.

I didn't realize there was such a thing, interesting. I just checked it out - pretty cool and definitely ticks all my options except one - the shoulder strap (in addition to handles). But, I'm thinking I could probably have one added after the fact.

Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:

DesignerValet

Reaction score
While on the topic of briefcases: this very nice Valextra is 50% off at The Corner. It's not a perfect bag (stiff textured leathers are not my favorite, and dark brown is, IMO, more challenging to pair than a lighter caramel shade or black) but at $1,230, I would consider this well-bought for a stylish, very good quality bag.

http://www.thecorner.com/us/men/briefcase_cod55011579wp.html

Last edited:

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Agreed. The Valextra printed/textured leather isn't my favorite of all leather types out there, but it's not bad. I've had several pieces in it over the years. I've noticed no major difference in quality from them, either, with their increased distribution/popularity, so at that price it's well worth it.

il_colonnello

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with how well MMM leathers hold up with use? I got this weekender from Yoox and am on the fence about keeping it. It came to 565 euros with one of the recent discount codes, which seems like a good deal, but I have another (non-leather) weekender so don't absolutely need it.

(It's still available on Yoox and on stylebop if anyone else is interested.)

@DesignerValet: If stiff textured leathers are not your favourite and previously you said Bottega was "too floppy" for you, can you maybe provide a couple of examples of whatever in-between soft-/stiffness you like?

DesignerValet

Reaction score

@DesignerValet: If stiff textured leathers are not your favourite and previously you said Bottega was "too floppy" for you, can you maybe provide a couple of examples of whatever in-between soft-/stiffness you like?

I think pebbled or naturally grained leather is the best combination of durability, feel, and all-weather capability. Examples of this on the high end would are Hermes' clemence and togo leathers and Vuitton's premium "taurillon" bags. They repel water, are flexible in most applications, shrug off most nicks and scratches, and develop a nice, "lived-in-but-not-beat-up" look over time. Bad versions of this can have inconsistent or artificial texture embossed over it.

Embossed leathers (Hermes' epsom, Vuitton taiga, Prada saffiano, most Valextra) offer more structure and protection from superficial scratches, but they don't feel particularly luxurious and are susceptible to corner wear and major scratches. They also tend to wrinkle or "bubble" around the edges or stitching over time, and they're more of less irreparable if you scratch off the textured finish.

Natural, uncoated leathers (vachetta, Hermes barenia or vache natural) develop a lovely patina over time but are porous: they will soak up rain, the oils from your hands, splashes from the sink, etc. Stains can be somewhat blended into the finish with proper care, but it's still way too high-maintenance for most people.

Box calfskin is a smooth leather with a shiny finish when properly maintained (seen in vintage Hermes bags, structured Celine designs, some dress shoes). There is some overlap/confusion between this material (which uses polish and oils to achieve it's finish) and patent, which has a plastic coating pressed over it. The former can be reconditioned to look like-new with some conditioner and elbow grease; the latter cannot. Expensive to buy, requires care, and doesn't like water, but a nice classic nonetheless if you like a dressier look.

Buffed calfskin/lambskin has a smooth, supple feel that most people associate with luxury. Seen in Hermes' swift, Chanel lambskin, BV wovens, and many of the new Saint Laurent bags. Accumulates scratches and scuffs easily, though most can be rubbed out. Often unstructured, and can sag over time, but a solid option in most applications.

There's also deerskin, goatskin, exotics, suede, etc. but these are the most common. Most of my leather bags are of the pebbled/natural texture variety.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm still using an MMM pebbled tote as my everyday bag. Granted I have a desk job with visits to other offices, but yeah. The MMM weekenders have always seemed nice to me when I've handled them, but I don't own one.

il_colonnello

Reaction score
@DesignerValet Very comprehensive, thanks!

I'm still using an MMM pebbled tote as my everyday bag. Granted I have a desk job with visits to other offices, but yeah. The MMM weekenders have always seemed nice to me when I've handled them, but I don't own one.

Tbh purely design-wise I'd prefer other makes (like this Dries bag), but the issue with a lot of them is they don't have a shoulder strap, which is kind of a dealbreaker for me.

Anyway, I think I'm going to return this one as neither the leather nor the fact that is has no external pockets is quite what I'm looking for.

colabear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
having a slice of strawberry icebox cake with Marc Jacobs x Bast tote at Magnolia Bakery
2mq9c.jpg

ebayhtl

Reaction score
Two recent duffle bag purchases on opposite ends of the price spectrum, both with good discounts at least!

This Gucci duffle is all leather - looks awesome and built v well, turns heads regularly, but I have no idea atm how to actually use this on even a semi-regular basis - not really something I can throw around etc.

This Filson small duffle is probably more practical in terms of practical usage ie going to the gym... Obviously the looks and the price tag don't quite match the Gucci!

nzomatrix

Reaction score
Just got this bag from Hildeståhl Sweden. The Medium bag looks amazing in person and the quality feels on par with higher end luxury bags. No logos on the outside, leather quality is quite good and zippers are silky smooth.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
looks nice!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads