• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive MANBAG Thread, Part II: 2014~

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Has anybody had recent experience with Jil briefcases?
Jil Sander was mentioned in various (positive) posts in the old thread, but would be interested if anybody has handled any items more recently.
Looking at this specifically (fall 14):IMG]

I'd be curious and interested to hear this as well; as many know, 1999-2005 Jil constituted some of my favorite pieces. But, they've since been through several owners, factories, and license holders... so I'm now many, many years out of date with my knowledge of the brand.

DesignerValet

Reaction score
I have this messenger from a few years ago; leather is nice and thick, it's well-made, and has been durable with pretty heavy use. The hardware is a bit chunky and generic, and the there are a few places where the glazing on the leather edge has worn off; neither are things you'd expect in a bigger brand like Gucci, but forgivable considering the size/experience of Jil's accessory business.

That said, I paid something like $4-500 for it; like most brands, Jil is overpriced at retail.

il_colonnello

Reaction score
Thanks. I had the chance to look at a women's handbag from the fall 14 collection yesterday at a friend's place. On the whole I had much the same impression you described, although of course this bag was brand new. She too paid only 500€ (down from 1.5k), so I guess at that price point the quality is fine.

I have decided to give the briefcase I posted above a pass for now; it's on tizianafausti.com if anyone's interested, at 50 per cent off.

Last edited:

letsi

Reaction score
Hi all,

Need to get a quick opinion from guys here.

For the bag above. Do you feel it's venturing into the purse territory?

Would it look more manly if the color is dark brown as shown below instead?

Last edited:

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am anti-tote in general, so I may be a neanderthal.

I am not sure what that bag is supposed to be - it has the rounded top with the extended zipper, but I am not sure why that access is needed because the bottom half of the bag is fairly rigid - it isn't clear you really need a wide mouth opening to load the bag. Basically, if you want a briefcase, get a briefcase. If you want a tote, get a tote. This is something in between, and ends up nowhere

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I am not sure what that bag is supposed to be - it has the rounded top with the extended zipper, but I am not sure why that access is needed because the bottom half of the bag is fairly rigid - it isn't clear you really need a wide mouth opening to load the bag. Basically, if you want a briefcase, get a briefcase. If you want a tote, get a tote. This is something in between, and ends up nowhere

I actually agree. I have seen some nice attache cases that are stylistically in the same universe, but something in the details of the bag (which you mention) also look "off" to me. It's sort of like a designer tried to take all the neat points from 4-5 classic bag styles (I see hints of SAB, valextra, a touch of LV Suhali, a pinch of Givenchy) and ended up with something less than any of them.

Quality looks decent, which means it's probably fairly $$$... in which case I'd get something else.

If you like a zip-top, rounded handle attache, you really can't do any better than the classic document holder. Probably the nicest example is the Hermes Plume: simple, holds a lot, looks neither too feminine NOR too clunky, and never goes out of style. Lots of brands make similar styles, so you have choices without having to mortgage your house.

Last edited:

letsi

Reaction score

Point taken and thanks for the critique of the bag, I found the design intriguing although something a little off but couldn't put it in words, I guess it's the neither here nor there aspect of its design that stumped me a little.

I actually agree. I have seen some nice attache cases that are stylistically in the same universe, but something in the details of the bag (which you mention) also look "off" to me. It's sort of like a designer tried to take all the neat points from 4-5 classic bag styles (I see hints of SAB, valextra, a touch of LV Suhali, a pinch of Givenchy) and ended up with something less than any of them.

Quality looks decent, which means it's probably fairly $$$... in which case I'd get something else.

If you like a zip-top, rounded handle attache, you really can't do any better than the classic document holder. Probably the nicest example is the Hermes Plume: simple, holds a lot, looks neither too feminine NOR too clunky, and never goes out of style. Lots of brands make similar styles, so you have choices without having to mortgage your house.

The bag was actually selling at around USD300-400 depending on the size option.

The hermes plume unfortunately is way above my allowable budget.

May I know between these two bags belwo, which one would you prefer going for?

Jakezero

Reaction score
I received the custom/bespoke HAC-inspired weekend bag that I've mentioned earlier. I haven't had the time to take proper photos or do a write-up, but I took two quick shots, thought that there might be some interest here.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I received the custom/bespoke HAC-inspired weekend bag that I've mentioned earlier. I haven't had the time to take proper photos or do a write-up, but I took two quick shots, thought that there might be some interest here.

Who did you use to make the bag... is it April in Paris? The brown looks something like their "stingray print" calf. In any case, enjoy it! I like the contrasting green lining and stitching.

Last edited:

Jakezero

Reaction score

Who did you use to make the bag... is it April in Paris? The brown looks something like their "stingray print" calf. In any case, enjoy it! I like the contrasting green lining and stitching.

I wish I could justify using a maker such as April in Paris, but this is not a AiP bag. This does, however, indicate that the bag looks rather more expensive than it actually was. The bag was made by forum affiliate Luxire. There are a few things that didn't end up quite as specified, mainly the feet of the bag, but I'm overall very pleased with the end result compared to the cost of the bag. I'll probably do a full write-up of the long distance bespoke process and review this weekend. I might get another bag in the same design in a smaller size for a daily carry in due time.

DesignerValet

Reaction score

Thanks. I had the chance to look at a women's handbag from the fall 14 collection yesterday at a friend's place. On the whole I had much the same impression you described, although of course this bag was brand new. She too paid only 500€ (down from 1.5k), so I guess at that price point the quality is fine.

Don't get me wrong- overall, I'd still give Jil a 7/10. It's a definite step up from similarly-priced Ferragamo, Prada, Tod's, or Givenchy.

Love the Plume; it comes in a travel size as well. Another great ziptop brief option from Hermes is the Victoria 12h:

May I know between these two bags belwo, which one would you prefer going for?

The second looks more expensive, minus the arched shape of the bottom.

Last edited:

bigdemon

Reaction score
Hi Guys, any comments to current season Margiela Sailor/brief case bag, color is not ideal for me deeper one preferred, but still interested, would like to know quality/construction change if any compared to previous seasons.

newtothisgame

Reaction score
Hi all- I've been doing my research to buy my husband a new leather briefcase/laptop bag as a grad school graduation gift. He is 30 years old, has good style, and works in corporate communications (fairly conservative business attire), so looking for something professional and modern but not boring or stuffy. I'm a bit clueless about it all, but have found a few I think look nice. He would mostly carry a laptop, some papers, etc in it for day to day work, and some travel. My budget is $400. Would appreciate any opinions on quality and design!

Also a question for you all- any thoughts on tan vs dark brown color? Is one more suitable to look professional for job interviews, work, etc for years to come?

Below are the bags I'm considering:

Tumi Beacon Hill Irving Slim Leather Brief in Brown (my current favorite)
http://www1.bloomingdales.com/shop/product/tumi-beacon-hill-irving-slim-leather-brief?ID=1409649&CategoryID=3864#fn=spp%3D15%26ppp%3D96%26sp%3D1%26rid%3D%26spc%3D24%26cm_kws%3Dtumi brief

Tumi Beacon Hill Vernon Leather Brief
http://www.tumi.com/p/vernon-leather-brief-068530B?subcat=true

John Varvatos Milano Leather Briefcase in Chocolate
https://www.saksoff5th.com/milano-leather-briefcase/888698221545.html

Jack Spade
http://www.saksoff5th.com/leather-briefcase/0492118711426.html

Fossil Mercer Briefcase
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/fossil-mercer-briefcase/3647261?origin=category&BaseUrl=Briefcases

Vince Camuto Turin Leather Briefcase
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/vince-camuto-turin-leather-briefcase/4058749?origin=category

Ben Minkoff Fulton Brief
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/ben-minkoff-fulton-leather-briefcase/3956299?origin=category

Thank you so much for the help!!

DesignerValet

Reaction score

Hi all- I've been doing my research to buy my husband a new leather briefcase/laptop bag as a grad school graduation gift. He is 30 years old, has good style, and works in corporate communications (fairly conservative business attire), so looking for something professional and modern but not boring or stuffy. I'm a bit clueless about it all, but have found a few I think look nice.  He would mostly carry a laptop, some papers, etc in it for day to day work, and some travel.  My budget is $400. Would appreciate any opinions on quality and design!

The Tumis are nice. Varvatos, Spade, Fossil look cheap, wouldn't spend $350 on Vince Camuto, and Ben Minkoff bags are decent-looking but not very substantial in person.

I would be happy with either of the Tumis. They're a bit above what you're looking to spend, but Coach is a solid option for conservative, well-made briefs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads