• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive MANBAG Thread, Part II: 2014~

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

quick plug on the linjer i am selling in my sig..
great bag and quality leather, but just not for me!

That didn't take long (haha).

Out of curiosity, what's not for you about the bag? Impulse buy? Do you just not need a work/briefcase style bag?

I remember when I was in my early-20's I got a really awesome, stellar-quality (made in France) Givenchy briefcase. Beautiful. BUT, it was just a little too formal for my job at the time... which really didn't need a briefcase. So, I sold it.

Anyway, I'm just curious why you want to get rid of it so soon.

EDIT; I see you mentioned briefly in your sales thread:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/476585/...se-free-worldwide-shipping/0_100#post_7824916

Last edited:

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Maybe we posted at the same time, but I asked the exact same thing above.

In other news, lately we've been trying to talk about what constitutes "value," but specific examples that are good comparisons for what we mean by "bang for buck" have been hard to show.

Hermes doesn't make sense; they aren't good "bang for buck," but then again the quality is outstanding. Even a top-line Prada model is expensive, but still a pretty well done bag. Brands like Etro or Missoni are $$$ for the material quality... but are often a lot of fun and worth it since you can't get anything else like them from other brands. Clegg or Mismo aren't really stellar values, but then again for the nice quality you get, I think the prices are fair.

Anyway, here is clearly an example of terrible bang-for-buck at just about every level. Dunhill is a huge brand and my piddly comments won't affect their bottom line, so I don't mind naming names. If you spent $950 for this bag, I'd feel very, very sorry for you. If you got it half-off, I'd still think you overpaid. I'm curious to see if members can pinpoint a few things about it that irritate me.

http://www.mrporter.com/en-us/mens/dunhill/bourdon-leather-briefcase/507931

Last edited:

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Several members asked me to try out AZZURAA, another recent SF affiliate offering leather bags. I did and wrote up a review, attached below. Take a look if interested:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/476764/the-rachford-files-vol-2-azzuraa-leather-bag-test-drive/0_100

Here is the bag I tried out; I know it's probably not everybody's style... but that's the point of bespoke. You get something you've always wanted to try, but couldn't get (or afford) elsewhere. It's a red/blue weekender bag in a thick nubuck leather. I've been waiting for a major brand to do a nice one ever since LV did a "tricolore NOE in Epi" back in the 1990's.

Last edited:

pronxs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That didn't take long (haha).

Out of curiosity, what's not for you about the bag? Impulse buy? Do you just not need a work/briefcase style bag?

I remember when I was in my early-20's I got a really awesome, stellar-quality (made in France) Givenchy briefcase. Beautiful. BUT, it was just a little too formal for my job at the time... which really didn't need a briefcase. So, I sold it.

Anyway, I'm just curious why you want to get rid of it so soon.

EDIT; I see you mentioned briefly in your sales thread:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/476585/...se-free-worldwide-shipping/0_100#post_7824916

What didn't work about it for you?

Hi both!
The main reason why i am selling the bag is because i changed job recently from banking to a more casual work environment.
It is indeed a great bag - nice leather and all - and my friend is using it all the time (we shared the package with 2 briefcases).

However my current job is very very casual and I feel rather out of place with such a formal bag.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hi both!
The main reason why i am selling the bag is because i changed job recently from banking to a more casual work environment.
It is indeed a great bag - nice leather and all - and my friend is using it all the time (we shared the package with 2 briefcases).

However my current job is very very casual and I feel rather out of place with such a formal bag.

Yes, I had the same issue with my Givenchy. It's good to send a bag off to a good home rather than just keep it in the closet HOPING you'll use it. In my experience, if you don't use a bag within six months, you ought to just admit it's not a great fit and move on. In any case, I'm sure somebody here will take it off your hands.

Cheers!

spencerng

Reaction score
i have a soft spot for loewe's new bags even though i don't really get the appeal of jonathan anderson's aesthetic. the tote bags are minimalistic and clean if you can look past the logo. i'm not very sure if i love or hate the puzzle bag but i'm fairly intrigued by it and it seems pretty well designed and thought out. does anyone know if the quality of loewe's bags has changed ever since jonathan anderson took over?

i was also thinking that celine would make great man bags if not for phoebe philo's insistence to do only womenswear.

Roshii

Reaction score
Hi all,

Glad to see this thread is still going strong! I last posted here in November as I was working on a range of handcrafted leather bags and accessories. The comments in this thread (and SF in general) have been so helpful in helping shape the design and functional elements of the range. We are now only a few weeks from launch and I am grappling with a few last minute decisions on packaging, monogramming, etc. I'd be so grateful if some of you active (and knowledgeable!) members could please help iron out some details prior to our launch? Happy to throw in an SF perk for those of you who would like one when we launch - just email me :)

Here's the link to my survey:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/93ZZJBQ

A year of research, prototypes, bottoms burnt on motorcycle trips during sourcing trips, food poisoning, sexism, ageism and even supplier blackmail later, we're nearly there (3 weeks away!). Thank you for your time and advice, it means a lot.

Cheers,

Rosh Govindaraj
Founder | Issara
✆ (AU) +61 431 946 766 |
issara.co | Instagram | Facebook |
Twitter | Pinterest | Polyvore

p.s. There is a media kit on www.issara.co if you'd like to see more photos and read a bit about the brand :)

trum01

Reaction score
^Maybe we posted at the same time, but I asked the exact same thing above.

In other news, lately we've been trying to talk about what constitutes "value," but specific examples that are good comparisons for what we mean by "bang for buck" have been hard to show.

Hermes doesn't make sense; they aren't good "bang for buck," but then again the quality is outstanding. Even a top-line Prada model is expensive, but still a pretty well done bag. Brands like Etro or Missoni are $$$ for the material quality... but are often a lot of fun and worth it since you can't get anything else like them from other brands. Clegg or Mismo aren't really stellar values, but then again for the nice quality you get, I think the prices are fair.

Anyway, here is clearly an example of terrible bang-for-buck at just about every level. Dunhill is a huge brand and my piddly comments won't affect their bottom line, so I don't mind naming names. If you spent $950 for this bag, I'd feel very, very sorry for you. If you got it half-off, I'd still think you overpaid. I'm curious to see if members can pinpoint a few things about it that irritate me.

http://www.mrporter.com/en-us/mens/dunhill/bourdon-leather-briefcase/507931

The slimy green colour? The stiff saffiano? It's listed as grey but I'm not so sure.

Tell us Rach - I'm curious to know what you hate about it.

Last edited:

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
I've pretty much given up on finding a sling bag that I like, and now I'm leaning more toward getting a regular messenger / flight bag. I'm looking for something small and lightweight that can carry a water bottle (keeping the water bottle as separate from the other stuff as possible), maybe an e-reader, a small camera occasionally, possibly a hat and gloves, and a sandwich (not all at once, obvs). I like the idea of it being weather-resistant, but it's not as important as it would be for a laptop bag. I need it to go with both biz-caz (unstructured blazer + chinos) and slutty tee + jeans + leather jacket combos. I don't know enough about bags to geek out over details, but I dislike overpaying for a brand name. I don't care about leather vs. canvas, although I'm slightly leery of leather since it tends to be heavier and sub-par leather can easily ruin what would otherwise be a serviceable bag.

I've identified two options at similar price points:

Defy workcase day tripper: http://www.defybags.com/copy-of-defender-workcase-wax-canvas-edition/

The dimensions look about right, and while I'd prefer to have external slip pockets on the sides of the bag for a water bottle and sunglasses, I could probably use the front pocket for that. Waxed canvas should be at least somewhat weather-resistant. It'll look fine with indigo stains on it (this is inevitable). The handle might be nice but probably isn't necessary.

Azzuraa Lierre messenger (not sure the link will work): http://www.azzuraa.com/design-detail.php?gid=33&cid=2&pid=122&did=11

The biggest issue here is the unknown. What does it actually look like? Will the magnetic closure actually keep it closed? There are no external slip pockets on the sides, but can I add them? Also, there aren't any waxed canvas options or other water-resistant materials available other than leather. It looks a little more refined, but that also makes it look a little more like a purse. Not sure what color or material I'd choose.

Any thoughts, recommendations, or other brands I should consider?

sepp

Reaction score
Imported goods are shockingly more expensive in Japan than one could buy online.

Managed to kop one of those mainstream MIJ brands that probably cost less elsewhere.

Nothing fancy and I love the shape and practicality of it. Master-piece from last season. :)

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the http://www.chapmanbags.com/men/officers-ipad-bag.html approach to waterproofing.
They bond the canvas to a waterproof membrane and so allow the it to retain a natural and more refined look than waxing.
The above example was just a quick pick based on your preferred dimensions, but it might be worth your while to peruse the site.
They do custom too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads