• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

table21

Reaction score
A question for the guys in this thread. What slim fit shirts come in a 15" with a 35 sleeve length? So far the only one that I am finding is Brooks bros extra slim (they are a bit snug in the shoulders for me but they still work the best out of what I have found)

Hye Style

Reaction score
Did you just use measurements based of you best fitting shirt, or did you take a leap of faith snd plugged in some numbers on the site? just curious
smile.gif

I got measured by one of their tailors while they were in town.

Last edited:

Midnight

Reaction score

A question for the guys in this thread.  What slim fit shirts come in a 15" with a 35 sleeve length?  So far the only one that I am finding is Brooks bros extra slim (they are a bit snug in the shoulders for me but they still work the best out of what I have found)

Charles Tyrwhitt do a 15 and 35 in the Slim Fit. Thomas Pink do a 15 and 35.5, if that's close enough.

alloy13

Reaction score
What is considered a comfortable allowance for slim fit shirts? Is it 1 or 2 inches from the actual chest or waist measurement? Do you use the same circumference allowance across the different parts of the shirt i.e. Neck, chest, arm, waist?

Of course this is subjective, but I want to hear SF opinions.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ventured into a Barney's outlet and discovered what I'm quite sure is the best trim fit shirt I have ever tried under $100. Barney's house brand called "Piattelli." It might only be available at the outlet because I don't see it on their website. They come with no breast pocket, 2-button sleeves to accommodate large/small wrists, and a variety of collars are available. I preferred this spread collar, similar Borrelli. Sorry for the bad pic, this shirt is pink with fine white stripes.

Last edited:

ftw90240

Reaction score

I like Ledbury as well. I have several of their slim fit shirts. They are a bit pricey but pretty good. As I've posted previously I think Kamakura's Tokyo slim fits me the best and they are super cheap for the quality. Their only problem is very limited stock in my size. I ordered some Hugh & Crye that just came in and I'll give feedback on that this week. I also ordered 9 custom shirts from a HK tailor (New Century) that are coming in this week and I think they will be the best fitting of all based on the fitting I had a month ago with the mock up shirt.

jy6537

Reaction score
I've tried various slim fit shirts and when they're not tucked in it feels great around the chest and waist (albeit its a bit long on the torso). However, once I tuck in the shirt starts to billow out around the waist and i end up with a lot of fabric in the back as well. I have a very short torso so could this be the culprit? For reference I am 5'9'' 175lbs (but my torso length is more comparable to one who is 5'5''-5'6''), 15.5 neck, 41 chest, and 32 waist. I recently purchased a tailored fit dress shirt from Banana republic and it is one of the better fitting ones but it still billows out at the waist.

Any recommendations? I was looking at TM Lewin's Fully Fitted or Charles Tyrwhitt extra slim fit. Which would you recommend for someone in my situation?

Doan Tu Thanh

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply. I took a risk with moderntailor after checking out some reviews on SF. The first shirt arrived last week and I have to say, for a beginner like me, it's a lifesaver. The neck, shoulder and torso part fit perfectly, the sleeves are not too slim but since I need to work out anyway there's no problem. I forgot to enter the first $20 off (the email with the code went straight to my spam box). Sent them an email about that not really expecting anything, however, they were more than helpful to give me another $20 as deposit. Now I'm currently lurking in TheTieBar for some ties, heard good reviews...

Doan Tu Thanh

Reaction score
I've tried various slim fit shirts and when they're not tucked in it feels great around the chest and waist (albeit its a bit long on the torso). However, once I tuck in the shirt starts to billow out around the waist and i end up with a lot of fabric in the back as well. I have a very short torso so could this be the culprit? For reference I am 5'9'' 175lbs (but my torso length is more comparable to one who is 5'5''-5'6''), 15.5 neck, 41 chest, and 32 waist. I recently purchased a tailored fit dress shirt from Banana republic and it is one of the better fitting ones but it still billows out at the waist.

Any recommendations? I was looking at TM Lewin's Fully Fitted or Charles Tyrwhitt extra slim fit. Which would you recommend for someone in my situation?
Shirts with darts might be the solution to your problem. However they can mess up patterns like stripes or check.

ftw90240

Reaction score
So I've posted on this thread before about Kamakura and Ledbury's slim shirts, of which I own many, and I have always been happy with them.

However, a friend and fellow forum-user referred me to New Century Tailors, an HK tailoring company who sends a representative, Carlson Lum, to Los Angeles twice a year for fittings. I saw Carlson in late April in downtown LA, and he took my measurements, much like any of the many tailors we have here do when measuring for a MTM or custom shirt. At that time, I picked my style of collar, collar measurements, and other details (placket or no, french or barrel cuffs, etc). A month plus later, in mid June, he came back to LA with a mock up of my shirt, which fit great but we made some minor adjustments. I just received my completed shirts this week, and they are terrific. I could not be more pleased. I picked the lowest level Thomas Mason cotton and the shirts were 700 HKD each, or $90 each. I'll post some pics soon, but I think they fit and look great, and I'm very happy with how they came out. I think the fact that there is the initial fitting is what gives the ability to dial it in. Even with other custom shirt makers I've used here in LA, there was only the initial measurement and then my shirt came in. The bespoke process allows you to nail down the parts that may otherwise not have been caught in the initial measurements. I'll probably upgrade to better fabrics for my next set of shirts (I picked up 7 this time), including some really nice fabrics in the 1100 HKD range ($142) but I am super happy with these and would not buy RTW after this successful process.

In fact, after doing MTM for suits and shirts, I am not sure I would go back to that mode of measurement and fitting. I've actually had more luck with RTW and then altering, or bespoke, and find MTM to be really inconsistent (especially with suits).

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Ooks

Reaction score
Matinique
Our Legacy
Tiger of Sweden
Cottonfield

In my experience, looking to northern Europe is the best when going with truly slim fitting shirts.

Now none of these are posh and none of them are necessarily office appropriate (except for some of Tiger), and they are all in the $100+ range. For me, 6'3" and pretty skinny, they are the best fitting shirts I have found without going to a tailor.

Last edited:

gerbilunit

Reaction score
anyone have a suggestion of what shirt fits closest to the Express 1MX shirts but with a better quality at a price point of $50 or less a shirt? Is this just not possible to find? I just ordered some Extra Slim Fit shirts from CT so it'll be a few weeks before I receive them.

I've been reading through this thread and online and there are so many opinions of each. Great information, but hoping someone has a good example. I'm 5'5 - 145lbs athletic lean build. I have short arms though :( so hopefully a 33 will not be too long on me.

Thought of modern tailor but I'd like to see what other options I had first. Would SF agree that CT or TML quality supercedes modern tailor at the similar price point?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads