• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jemcgarvey
EDIT: Thanks imageWIS!

You are quite welcome.
smile.gif

su_maverick

Reaction score
Thats because most of the generic shirtmakers make them in an 'executive cut' or 'vanity cut' which means that they are designed for older gents who frequent the pubs and have the bellies to show for it.
I needed a quick and cheap shirt this past weekend and someone recommended the poplin shirts that are out now from Calvin Klien. They arent much in terms of fabric but for a good seasonal throw away they do fit pretty darn well.

The KGBeast

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been touched on before, but there are so many pages in this thread, and searching for numbers is an exercise in futility.

I am 5'6", 155 pounds, and the dress shirts I have now (which fit great, other than being, well, not slim fit) are 16 1/2 in the neck and 32/33 in the sleeve. Anyone know what brands would be good to look into? Money is an object in that I'm not looking to spend $80 or $90 a shirt.

su_maverick

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The KGBeast
Sorry if this has been touched on before, but there are so many pages in this thread, and searching for numbers is an exercise in futility.

I am 5'6", 155 pounds, and the dress shirts I have now (which fit great, other than being, well, not slim fit) are 16 1/2 in the neck and 32/33 in the sleeve. Anyone know what brands would be good to look into? Money is an object in that I'm not looking to spend $80 or $90 a shirt.

If you really like some of the shirts you have, why not take them to a tailor to have them slimmed down some? If you like the overall fit except for being billowy, it might be a cost effective alternative to buying new ones outright.

The KGBeast

Reaction score
Originally Posted by su_maverick
If you really like some of the shirts you have, why not take them to a tailor to have them slimmed down some? If you like the overall fit except for being billowy, it might be a cost effective alternative to buying new ones outright.

This makes a surprising amount of sense!

Would still appreciate some suggestions for new shirts if anyone knows of any, but I'll look into this too.

NingNatasza

Reaction score
Making T-shirts is a fairly simple and largely automated process. Specially designed machines integrate cutting, assembling, and stitching for the most efficient operations. The most commonly used seams for T-shirts are narrow, superimposed seams, which are usually made by placing one piece of fabric onto another and lining up the seam edges.

Scoop

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The KGBeast
This makes a surprising amount of sense!

Would still appreciate some suggestions for new shirts if anyone knows of any, but I'll look into this too.

Tailoring would cost a lot? Especially just for polos, no?

mcsisk

Reaction score
Don't really want to sift through this whole thread but could somebody give me some feedback as to how Charles Tyrwhitt tailored shirts fit. Any help would be appreciated

young Ego

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mcsisk
Don't really want to sift through this whole thread but could somebody give me some feedback as to how Charles Tyrwhitt tailored shirts fit. Any help would be appreciated

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...itt#post502864
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...itt#post504554
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...itt#post740813
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...tt#post1677323
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...tt#post1684103
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...tt#post2106381

Just a few useful posts from a quick search of this thread for you. There's also a few more if you'd like to run a search of your own in addition.
smile.gif

AlbertCamus

Reaction score
I know tailorstore.com has been mentioned, but I'd like to know with someone that's used it. The "standard" fit for shirts is supposedly just rather baggy everywhere but the shoulders. This is according everyone I've talked to and seen, besides designer brands and people that I think look good in their clothes. I'm worried that If i put in my actual measurements I'll just get the same 15/34 "fitted" shirt I could buy at the mall. So should I try to cheat by lowering my measurements? Or can I expect a reasonable fit being honest? By reasonable I mean basically like BoO. (38" chest, 30" waist and 19" shoulders) Also, is it normal to have difficulty getting tailors to do what you want them to? I have had 0 experience with tailors, I tried a few in my area for shirts and they claimed they couldn't take shirts in as much as I wanted them to, and also told me that I shouldn't have them fit that way. Should I just tell them to shut up and do their job? Edit: nvm! Sorry, I just noticed that you can have shirts tailored to specific dimensions instead of body dimensions. In this case, anyone have the exact measurements of a BoO shirt?
biggrin.gif

blackheva

Reaction score
Chiming in here with a nod to the DKNY slim fit dress shirts.

I, like others have mentioned in this thread, used to buy my work shirts from Express' "fitted" line. I love the fit, but was VERY unhappy with the quality as of late.

The DKNY slim fit is about the closest in cut I've found to the Express slim cut, but with much better craftmanship. I probably need to take them to the tailor still and have some darts added in back, but their more than adequate thus far.

Plus, for us budget-minded folk, they retail for less than $60 most of the time and Macy's seems to always have them on sale or BOGO.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
to a quality, inexpensive, true "slim" OTR dress shirt.

cotton

Reaction score
Today I tried on a BB extra slim fit. I was surprised to find that in one respect it was too slim. The armholes were so high and tight they cut into my armpits. The store didn't have my sleeve length, so I tried on a size smaller. Was this the problem? Or would I have had the same problem with the proper sleeve length?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads