• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks DW, I understand how you can avoid "squeaking" by using that neoprene cement on leather. However I do not see the advantages of using those two components as a filler. If the shoemaker decides to use the cork, this is going to be pressed down by the mid/outsole leather anyway. It sounds to me like to glue a leather insole insert on top of the original one.

I don't understand it, either. But then I don't understand the logic of pegging in lieu of stitching when there's a welt; or using a sewing awl for "outseaming," etc..

shrug2.gif

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks mw313 for you answer. In general, I think the use of more components than needed is not good for the shoe and it adds more weight to it. Vass does not use leather filler in the forepart, just cork layer. He uses as well the pegged rand and a pegged layer of leather to cover the shank (metal in this case). Maybe your shoemaker uses JR veg leather too, wich are very stiff at the beginning. In any case I really like your shoes and hope fit is good. Thanks again.

Yes the fit is great and I've still had no problem with squeaking. He didn't say why he uses both but I don't notice any difference in weight. They actually feel lighter than my Vass, st c, GG, etc.

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand it, either. But then I don't understand the logic of pegging in lieu of stitching when there's a welt; or using a sewing awl for "outseaming," etc..

View attachment 807129

Im not sure either. My only thought was to make it more sleek at the waist, but he didn't say why he chose to do it this way with the pegging instead when he welted the shoe anyway.

But the construct is solid yet still light and the level of detail and finishing is right with other top bespoke makers in the U.K.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Damn. Are you sure he worked at Lobb? That's an elegant last.

What other makers have you tried boots with?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Have you tried Templeman vs. Cleverley on shoes? I.e., is this a last thing, or a boot-maker's thing?

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes

Belgrade, Serbia

Where in Belgrade? I was just there last week for work.

Speaking of which, if you do go to Belgrade...I highly recommend the Square Nine Hotel...Executive or Presidential suites are amazing value (relative to the rest of Europe or NYC).

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Are those also fitted out with *************s?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads