• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Manuel

Reaction score
What's up guys? Some luxury slippers? tailored? hahahahaha, okay.....there are people for everything.;)
IMG-20220116-WA0005 (1).jpeg
IMG_20220121_200541.jpg
IMG_20220121_200526.jpg
IMG_20220117_132605.jpg
IMG_20220117_132538.jpg

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For people who order bespoke shoes and suits/ sport coats, do you experience the same thing? How do you move towards ordering new footwear styles? Do you just look at a bunch of outfit photos? Shoe photos? Where do you get new ideas for commissions?

I looked at a lot of shoes at stores, old bespoke commissions, apparel arts and etc. Here is my thought process on some of my various commissions from G&G.
1) black austrian side laced wholecuts in baby calf. I had first seen a side laced black whole cut at a Paul Stuart sale with a rounded toe and thought it looked odd. Then I saw someone wearing a chiseled toe version at a ballroom competition at Blackpool and I thought it looked great. I wear it with dark suits and blazers when going for a high contrast look.
2) JM Weston style 180 loafer in kudu. My feet are flat and wide and most loafers don’t fit me well. So I figured bespoke was the way to get a better fit. Weston 180 loafer is classic. Tony talked me into doing it with kudu. Easy shoe to wear in summers and with jeans.
3) high boots based on the EG Harrell which now I think is based on the 1943 pattern USA army boot. I’ve wanted the EG Harrell but apparently EG didn’t make it anymore so I got it bespoke in a hatch grain. My most beautiful shoe but doesn’t get much use because the color is too light and lacing is a PITA. I only wear it in the winter with white flannel pants. I guess I should get lighter colored winter pants that work with the boot.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not bespoke, but in my continuing quest to find more inspo on what to commission next, I came across this semi-old video at Armoury TV. I thought the black-grained penny loafers are interesting. I have a pair of black smooth calf penny loafers from EG that I never wear, and then black calf Brooks Brothers tassel loafers that I wear all the time. I was thinking about getting black tassel loafers to replace my Brooks Brothers loafers, but I love the Alden for Brooks backstory.

Doing black grain loafer seems interesting and I'm surprised by how much I like them in this outfit. Whole outfit is very tasteful.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Would it be that different if it was a matte shine black smooth penny?

I like the idea but don’t really see that much of a difference I suppose.

garigo

Reaction score
I like the idea of a black grain penny. Speaking of EG, I've been seriously considering the Piccadilly in black London grain. The pattern helps make the shoe a bit more casual, and at the same time it doesn't stand out too much on a black background.

Piccadilly_184_Black-London-Gr_addA_12.jpg

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not bespoke, but in my continuing quest to find more inspo on what to commission next, I came across this semi-old video at Armoury TV. I thought the black-grained penny loafers are interesting. I have a pair of black smooth calf penny loafers from EG that I never wear, and then black calf Brooks Brothers tassel loafers that I wear all the time. I was thinking about getting black tassel loafers to replace my Brooks Brothers loafers, but I love the Alden for Brooks backstory.

Doing black grain loafer seems interesting and I'm surprised by how much I like them in this outfit. Whole outfit is very tasteful.

Why not black suede? I've actually been thinking of adding a pair of black suede shoes to my closet for some time, being a Covid shut in is the only thing stopping me.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a black suede side zip, I like it because i can be less careful about everything in general…

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
I have some black grain RTW loafers by Cleverley. Bought them as a “trial’ to see if I would wear them. and I am very surprised by how often I pick them out. The grain helps to make them a bit more interesting, and to put more distance between them and black oxfords

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I cant believe I didnt think about this before: Have @ntempleman knock you up a pair of black pigskin loafers. That would be perfect!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics