• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Thanks John Elliott!

Styleforum was one of the first digital communities to embrace John Elliott, and in recognition of that, John Elliott has extended to our comunuty a monthly discount to fans of the brand who engage here. Simply enter the code for SF-OCT-15

Check out all of their new arrivals here

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An Adelaide in Blond Crust by Catella Shoemaker. It's an unfinished pair (waiting for patina and polishing), but I love the colour and the slightly raw look. They would be perfect summer shoes.

Screenshot (2416).png

ZRH1

Reaction score
Do any bespoke makers offer customized insoles to basically be orthotics? In other words, would they be able to take a mold of your foot or an orthotic to basically build one into the insole?
I was once in Vienna and stumbled into a bespoke maker that prided itself to be very keen on the orthopedic aspect. He was charging 5-6000 EUR and was a tall, sporty and younger gentleman.

I think it was Markus Scheer.

marlinspike

Reaction score
One of my pairs of shoes is getting to where it could use new soles. For handwelted bespoke shoes, do you guys send them back to your maker or is there a competent shop in the USA that can resole?

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of my pairs of shoes is getting to where it could use new soles. For handwelted bespoke shoes, do you guys send them back to your maker or is there a competent shop in the USA that can resole?
For a bespoke shoe? Maker.

Even Edward green / gaziano. I’d send back to the maker. I tried saving money for a pair of egs a long time ago. I regretted that decision & eventually gave away the shoes.

marlinspike

Reaction score

Even Edward green / gaziano. I’d send back to the maker. I tried saving money for a pair of egs a long time ago. I regretted that decision & eventually gave away the shoes.
As it may help someone else, it turns out with Pirateship the cost of shipping by UPS to Europe isn't that bad (around $50 for a pair of shoes from the east coast to Austria), so I guess no reason not to go that route especially with what you said.

schteekay

Reaction score
Do any bespoke makers offer customized insoles to basically be orthotics? In other words, would they be able to take a mold of your foot or an orthotic to basically build one into the insole?
Damiano Chiappini in Montegranaro can do it quite easily. Also very affordable. But you'll have to go there. In Italy the shoemakers basically get an orthopedic license on top and those can all do "real" bespoke shoes but with orthotics in mind. Can give more infos via DM.

marlinspike

Reaction score
I was once in Vienna and stumbled into a bespoke maker that prided itself to be very keen on the orthopedic aspect. He was charging 5-6000 EUR and was a tall, sporty and younger gentleman.

I think it was Markus Scheer.
That price in Vienna would have to have been Scheer.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One of my pairs of shoes is getting to where it could use new soles.

Even Edward green / gaziano. I’d send back to the maker.

Don't forget, resoling a fully handmade pair of shoes will cost considerably more than the same job for a factory-made pair (EG charges currently GBP 310 for a refurbishing job). My guess would be about GBP 1000 from one of the top London firms (Lobb probably quite a bit more expensive). The firm who made the shoes in the first place has the advantage of access to the original last.

You did mention Austria as destination for the shoes. Austrian shoemakers are more numerous and charge less than English or French makers, particular if they are located outside Central Vienna.

To be on the safe side, enquire about the cost before you decide. As ballpark figure think about 25 - 30% of the current price of a new pair of shoes.

marlinspike

Reaction score
Don't forget, resoling a fully handmade pair of shoes will cost considerably more than the same job for a factory-made pair (EG charges currently GBP 310 for a refurbishing job). My guess would be about GBP 1000 from one of the top London firms (Lobb probably quite a bit more expensive). The firm who made the shoes in the first place has the advantage of access to the original last.

You did mention Austria as destination for the shoes. Austrian shoemakers are more numerous and charge less than English or French makers, particular if they are located outside Central Vienna.

To be on the safe side, enquire about the cost before you decide. As ballpark figure think about 25 - 30% of the current price of a new pair of shoes.

I don't think it will be bad - he makes me shoes for give or take 1000 euro. It's more just the nuisance of international shipping.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damiano Chiappini in Montegranaro can do it quite easily. Also very affordable. But you'll have to go there. In Italy the shoemakers basically get an orthopedic license on top and those can all do "real" bespoke shoes but with orthotics in mind. Can give more infos via DM.
At this time, leaving the United States for shoes isn’t going to pass the required permissions unfortunately.

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lattanzi charges well over 1,000 euro for a new resole. That was years ago too.

Featured Sponsor

How Do You Feel About Pleated Trousers?

• Love them, classic!

• Occasionally, depending on the outfit

• Prefer flat-front

• Never wear them

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karenschatz54