• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Armoury - Official Affiliate Thread

bhall41

Reaction score

I've talked to Alan a couple times via email. I have a carmina shoe that's an 8.5 on the inca last which is a little wide and big for my foot, heel slips some. Alan suggested that I size up a half size to the 9 when going to the Simpson last. I'm trying to figure out how much narrower or smaller the Simpson is compared to the Inca last? I realize that Inca is the largest width last and Simpson is the smallest so I thought I would be the same size.

I have got a pair of shoes on the SImpson last on their way. I ordered them in a 7.5, which is my usual size, but am a bit concerned that I should have sized up to a 8. Alan told me he didn't think this was necessary.

JPHardy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was concerned about the Simpson sizing as well. But Alan thought it would work out.

My first pair was the Rain last in 12, and I really like the fit. When ordering a second pair, I was concerned about the Simpson being too tight.

It arrived and it felt a bit tight at first, tighter than most of my other shoes. After a day of wearing the molded beautifully. They fit a bit more snug than my other shoes, but feel great at the end of day.

Good luck.

JP

quar

Reaction score
No need to size up.

I wear 8UK in John Lobb 7000 and C&J 337, and 8UK in Simpson is a good fit.

bhall41

Reaction score

I was concerned about the Simpson sizing as well. But Alan thought it would work out.
My first pair was the Rain last in 12, and I really like the fit. When ordering a second pair, I was concerned about the Simpson being too tight.
It arrived and it felt a bit tight at first, tighter than most of my other shoes. After a day of wearing the molded beautifully. They fit a bit more snug than my other shoes, but feel great at the end of day.
Good luck.
JP

No need to size up.
I wear 8UK in John Lobb 7000 and C&J 337, and 8UK in Simpson is a good fit.

Thanks guys, that is reassuring.

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I'm a UK10E in both Edward Green (888 last) and Gaziano & Girling (TG73 last) what size would I be in Carmina's Forest last? Anyone with any experience with this last?

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not to confuse the matter, but i find the Simpson last to be particularly narrow in the toe box so I had to size up 1/2 from what I would wear in Lobb 7000 or C&J 337/348.

This is what Alan is suggesting, sizing up from 8.5 in Inca last to 9 in Simpson last.

From my understanding, this is the breakdown of Carmina last sizes (Wide to Narrow):
Inca - Widest last and waist for wide feet (EE width)
Rain - Like the Inca but with a chisel toe (EE width)
Forest - Standard width with round toe (E width)
Uetam - Similar to Forest but a shade narrower (E width)
Robert - Like the Simpson but more room in the toe box (E width)
Alcudia - Like the Simpson but with Almond toe (E width)
Simpson - Narrow with chiseled toe, extended toe box (E width)

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Anyone have to return a pair of shoes to the Armoury? I'm curious how much it costs to return an item to Hong Kong?

NY-HK via express mail is about $60 for a pair of shoes.

Last edited:

bullswin

Reaction score

If I'm a UK10E in both Edward Green (888 last) and Gaziano & Girling (TG73 last) what size would I be in Carmina's Forest last? Anyone with any experience with this last?

The biggest thing to note with the Forest last is that it works best with someone with a low instep/arch. If you have a medium or greater instep, it's going to be too tight/pinched in the lacing area. Fortunately, I have a rather low instep, so the Forest last works nearly perfectly for me. I still get a tiny bit of heel slippage, and the overall fit is quite snug and cozy (when sizing down a full size from my usual US size). The only other Carmina last I have experience with is Robert, which fits a hair roomier overall (vs. the Forest) and seems a perfect tts.

I don't have experience with EG and GG, so I realize I'm not directly answering your question.

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The biggest thing to note with the Forest last is that it works best with someone with a low instep/arch. If you have a medium or greater instep, it's going to be too tight/pinched in the lacing area. Fortunately, I have a rather low instep, so the Forest last works nearly perfectly for me. I still get a tiny bit of heel slippage, and the overall fit is quite snug and cozy (when sizing down a full size from my usual US size). The only other Carmina last I have experience with is Robert, which fits a hair roomier overall (vs. the Forest) and seems a perfect tts.
I don't have experience with EG and GG, so I realize I'm not directly answering your question.

Thanks for the tip about the low instep/arch. How does one know whether they have a low instep/arch? For further reference other shoes/lasts I fit fine in are Allen Edmonds No. 5 (Park Avenue/Strand) and Crockett & Jones 348 last.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Low instep does not equal low arch. Forest has good arch support even though instep is lower. I'd go with your EG size for Forest last.

runningfrog

Reaction score
i have to bump this thread after my great experience with the armoury.

i really loved their carmina saddle shell brogue captoe oxfords, but my size was sold out and they did not plan a restock. after some email exchanges with ethan and alan, i decided to place a special order for them. the price was very reasonable for a special order shoe and they were both very prompt with responses to my questions. if you're looking into carminas, i would highly recommend the armoury.

Artking3

Reaction score

i have to bump this thread after my great experience with the armoury.
i really loved their carmina saddle shell brogue captoe oxfords, but my size was sold out and they did not plan a restock. after some email exchanges with ethan and alan, i decided to place a special order for them. the price was very reasonable for a special order shoe and they were both very prompt with responses to my questions. if you're looking into carminas, i would highly recommend the armoury.

May I ask how much more did they charge you for a special order shoe? I'm thinking of doing the same with them.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babara