• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Architecture Thread

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you think you're one of the "big kids" I'm going to hernia myself laughing.

SH, please present a building I neither really like nor understand. K'thanx.

Actually, what I meant was that this thread was started by enthusiasts who posted pics of their favorite houses. There was no professional snobbery or attacks on commentary which SH considered puerile simply because of his status as an architect. As of now we're left with a lot of knowledge which is spoiled somewhat by SH's personality. You seem to still enjoy the personality part, despite a growing recognition that it's gotten old.

In any case here is an article with pictures of a building which is also somewhat relevant to the discussion:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/28/5...on-jerome-seydoux-pathe-paris-armadillo-shell

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SH, The House of the Infinite that you posted awhile ago was apparently the most talked about post on archdaily last week. You're a trendsetter.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Something different.

I saw this place a few years ago as a friend owns property nearby.

Couple of guys buy 50 acres in Sonoma to retire on. The put up a couple of tents, then find out that they ground is too unstable to build anything permanent. They say screw it, plant 3000 olive trees and build the compound.

The design of the landscape (seen here a little) was quite beautiful.

0.jpg

lefty

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
NOAP.

But I wish I were the sort of person who could do that.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Is it because you live in the nation's hottest neighbourhood, neighbour SB? lefty
It's crazy. A house on my block (essentially a teardown) just sold for $125k more than it sold for in March. My guess is that they'll have to spend another $500k to build something livable. If only there were some way for us to cash out and stay in the neighborhood...

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When lefty posted the video about the Sonoma compound for whatever reason I thought of 115 TelHi Boulevard - a lot right on the access road to Coit Tower near the top of Telegraph Hill that has remained unbuilt for years.

Turns out somebody is building on it, got the project approved, and it looks pretty good. Hopefully the THD crones all die of a massive stroke when it's completed.

http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2014/...s_unfooled_by_triplex_disguised_as_houses.php

mbaum

Reaction score
Bernal Heights? Really? What happened to SF? Kidding, I always loved that area ... At least, I am close to number 2 ... and bought 2.5 years ago. What can the little anticipated correction in housing, stocks, classic cars do to me? Nada ...

Sonoma stuff is interesting. Clearly, you can do it in that mild climate. I wonder what up keep it needs? But all repairs should be pretty straightforward anyway.

That Coit Tower hood thing looks pretty boring. Where is SH to post a cool house? You so don't want me to dig for stuff ...

Mike

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Coit Tower hood thing looks pretty boring. Where is SH to post a cool house? You so don't want me to dig for stuff ...

Mike

Fair enough. So why DON'T you dig for stuff to post here? Isn't that the whole point of the thread?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads