• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Apple Discussion Thread

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wouldn't the more logical place for the touch bar be between the keyboard and the track pad? Why would I reach all the way to the top of the keyboard to switch tabs when a short flick with my finger on the trackpad goes to the tabs with the mouse.

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They didn't have any touch bars on display when I went intoa small Apple store last weekend.

The non touch bar 13 was pretty slick though.

Considering it has multiple usbc ports and a headphone jack...I think I could get behind it. USB c is here to stay, and I don't care about lightning... so it beats the MacBook by a long shot.

Although I'd still like to have seen something allowing easier external display connection. What is the deal with external monitors on them? Can I have 2 or just one? Good quality and refresh rate?

"VGA, HDMI and Thunderbolt 2 output supported using adapters (sold separately)"

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Wouldn't the more logical place for the touch bar be between the keyboard and the track pad? Why would I reach all the way to the top of the keyboard to switch tabs when a short flick with my finger on the trackpad goes to the tabs with the mouse. 

The problem with that placement is that it gets in the way of your palm placement when you're typing on the keyboard. Barring that, I do think it's much better suited down there though.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The problem with that placement is that it gets in the way of your palm placement when you're typing on the keyboard. Barring that, I do think it's much better suited down there though.

You rest your palms on the computer when you type? Only my finger tips touch the computer when I'm typing.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not the first time these two have argued whether the fingertips or the full palm technique was more satisfying...

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is a iPad Mini 4 32GB for $300 w/ tax a good deal? Why isn't there a website that aggregates high-low prices from a calendar year or historically?

@phosej Did you end up buying?

Edit:
Order in process, in-store pickup at Best Buy and it's on my commute to work anyways. Only second Apple purchase :embar:

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Okay gang, after about a week with the TB MBP, my recommendation is: don't get it. For now, that is. The TB is useless and a PITA more than it is helpful. I long for the standard function keys at top for controlling the brightness, volume, etc.

I think within a year, things could be different for the better as more apps support it. But for now, it's clunky, glitchy, and cumbersome.

Last edited:

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Finally got to check out a 7 yesterday and that new click is weird af. It reminded me of how those Blackberrys felt where the whole screen clicked. I think when they get rid of the home button it'll feel more natural like the touchpad on Macbooks but right now it just feels weird.

Last edited:

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After two months with my 7 I think I'm less satisfied than I've ever been with a phone before. It hangs all the time, especially when trying to make a call, check missed calls, or do pretty much anything within the phone "app." I don't know if this is a software issue or a hardware issue, but it's annoying.

Also, Bluetooth connectivity sucks. None of my other phones have had problems connecting to my car, but this one rarely connects to the phone function of my car and when Bluetooth audio is connected when I receive a call it no longer functions when I hang up.

The newest iteration of Apple Music is also shittier than the previous version, but that's unrelated to this phone.

I'm approaching the point of considering giving up on Apple.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The 7 is my favorite to-date. Battery life is superb. I love how the home button feels; the tactile home buttons now feel dated and unsophisticated in comparison. Haven't had any bluetooth issues. No complaints whatsoever, really.

Last edited:

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In accessories news, I got a Spigen Tough Armor yesterday and after some slits around the power button to make it easier to press it is excellent.

Has anyone experimented with the Qi things? I'm considering giving it a go.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

After two months with my 7 I think I'm less satisfied than I've ever been with a phone before. It hangs all the time, especially when trying to make a call, check missed calls, or do pretty much anything within the phone "app." I don't know if this is a software issue or a hardware issue, but it's annoying.

Also, Bluetooth connectivity sucks. None of my other phones have had problems connecting to my car, but this one rarely connects to the phone function of my car and when Bluetooth audio is connected when I receive a call it no longer functions when I hang up.

The newest iteration of Apple Music is also shittier than the previous version, but that's unrelated to this phone.

I'm approaching the point of considering giving up on Apple.

Not trying to dismiss your experience, but it's the opposite of mine. Wonder if you got a faulty phone? Sounds like we use our phones the same way.

I got that "Horween leather" case from Nomad btw. Would not really recommend. Leather is def. better than the OEM, but not durable. Already have a random rip on it

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads