• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Apple Discussion Thread

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why? Its called the base/basic model for a reason.

Would you rather have them start at 32gb at 299$? (Same thing just no 16gb option)

Last edited:

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

True, but Surface started out with RT as well. Considering they featured the cpu in the ipad pro as a pc-level cpu rather than your typical tablet/mobile cpu, I wouldn't be surprised if down the line it'll run OSX proper.

If you recall, the original Surface RT was a flop and resulted in a $900 million write down for MS. But Apple fanboys will buy anything with an Apple logo so I doubt the ipad pro will perform badly.

If/when they ever put a proper OSX on it it'll be pretty nifty though.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/08/jobs-if-you-see-a-stylus-or-a-task-manager-they-blew-it/

"It's like we said on the iPad, if you see a stylus, they blew it." - Steve Jobs.

These Jobs quotes keep getting thrown around out of context. He was talking about older tablets (windows for example) that used a Stylus as a primary input method. It's no different then when he originally made a similar quote showing off the original iPhone. Stylus at the time were the primary input method for most touchscreen phones and PDA's. Jobs and Apple bet on touch and they were completely right.

The new Apple Stylus is an accessory. Used in certain applications and optional. The iPad Pro is still a primarily touch based device. It doesn't go against Job's point when he said those things in the past.

Even if it did, that wouldn't matter. Jobs was famous for being a flip flopper. If new technology or ideas came along and he had no issue changing direction to capitalize on it. It was one of his strengths as a leader.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Starting base models at 16GB is pretty laughable also. As is charging $100 for every additional bump in memory. Memory is so cheap these days, there's no reason it should cost that much.

Completely agree with this. It's greedy and to be honest, not customer friendly. 16 gigs gets filled up too fast these days and that will only become a larger issue with higher resolution photos and video.

If you recall, the original Surface RT was a flop and resulted in a $900 million write down for MS. But Apple fanboys will buy anything with an Apple logo so I doubt the ipad pro will perform badly.

If/when they ever put a proper OSX on it it'll be pretty nifty though.

The RT was a flop because it didn't have the App ecosystem to take off and a new UI that didn't connect with consumers like MS wanted it to. You can't possibly think the iPad Pro will have the same issue? From day one it's going to prove itself an extremely capable and useful device.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Speaking of the Apple stylus, is it true that it only works with the Pro? What? Why? I could see it and a Mini being a nice pair for quick note taking on the go.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Speaking of the Apple stylus, is it true that it only works with the Pro? What? Why? I could see it and a Mini being a nice pair for quick note taking on the go.

Because the pro has improved screen internals that measure input at 2x the rate when it knows the stylus is being used.

--

In other news, the new iPhones support lte band 12, a spectrum that t mobile supports. Should mean enhanced lte connectivity, esp in buildings -- something t mobile is weak at.

Maybe now I'll get dem lte bars in my work building and poast poasts while on the *******!!
1f64c-1f3fb.png
1f64c-1f3fb.png
1f64c-1f3fb.png

Last edited:

Coldcava

Reaction score
I'm still struggling with the overall feel of the Apple event yesterday. It seemed like a tired bunch of wealthy middle age men, out of touch with what's currently cool or fashionable, parading around in their 'uniform' of jeans & button down shirt - untucked if you like - presenting 8 bit frogger-like video games as some revolutionary development in set-top gaming?

Where is the 'Style' in this Apple team? - I don't necessarily need them to revert to a "Classic Menswear" suit/tie but those untucked shirts with contrasting cuff colors have had their day. 10 years ago, it was different to see execs dressed casually. Now, the group they sent out looks totally out of touch with style/trends. I don't think Apple wants to project that image. There used to be some sense of cleverness to the style at these events, and now they just seem like they are trying too hard. Too many underwhelming upgrades that the speaker has to tell the audience are 'amazing'. Too many 55 year old men dressed like 55 year old men dress for a night out on the town.

This team has some of the most influential entertainment/design icons in Dr Dre (who doesn't come without his baggage), Marc Newson, Jonny Ive, Jimmy Iovine etc. but the only hint of any of them were Jonny Ive's voiceovers.

By and large, they were poor communicators on stage as well. They fumbled at times over words, and at a low point Phil Schiller almost choked when he read that the iPad pro starts at 'just' $799. (watch the video, he almost chokes on the word 'just')

And for products, while most were as expected - The AppleTV had to be the most pathetic of the bunch. There are all sorts of contradictions with it, they have a nice looking screen saver, and then they roll out an 8bit "crossy road" game - NOW WITH MULTIPLAYER!!. I thought Ashton Kutcher was going to come out on stage and tell everyone watching that they've just been Punk'd. I'm still at a sense of disbelief over it.

But that was, (to Apple execs), a serious foray into the gaming world - and that seems pretty disconnected with reality. They tell you the remote can control TV volume and AV receivers - but only if you have the newer TV's that support HDMI CEC - You know what else newer TV's have? 4K Video resolution. Guess what AppleTV doesn't have? (* Flash Forward - new iPhone 6s camera takes 4k video - so you can take wonderful 4k video, just no support for it on your AppleTV). So Netflix natively on my TV can broadcast 4k, but through Apple TV the best I get is 1080p.

I don't doubt for a second that all the executive players aren't running that company like clockwork and that some serious design/development is happening at a pretty rapid pace at Apple - but a lot of what allows them to sell product at a premium price point is about staying relevant to younger users and maintaining the sense that "these guys get it".

For me, yesterday's presentation did nothing to make me think the team on the stage still 'get it' like they used to.

(I'm still upgrading to the 6s)

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Re: the Apple TV, I don't think they were ever intending to upend the console gaming market. A lot of people were expecting that but that time is not now. They're tapping into the market of people who play stupid games on their phones while on the subway or ******* -- the casual gamers.

Perhaps in the future they'll have some hardcore graphics capabilities with major game devs behind it. But I don't see that happening for years.

As for the lack of 4K support, it makes sense for this iteration. And how much this makes sense depends on how often they plan to update the Apple TV. If it's graduated from just being a hobby product, maybe they'll update it once a year or so. And if that's the case, the lack of 4K makes even more sense.

Why? Because most people don't have 4K TVs. Not only that, the device is geared towards streaming video content. Even fewer people have the kind of network bandwidth to handle 4K streaming. So, those two filters alone create for a tiny fragment of the population that could take advantage of 4K.

We'll see that support in the next 2 years I'd say. For now, this was a good enough compromise that has defensible reasoning behind it.

You gotta think about this from the perspective of people who don't follow apple closely and perhaps don't geek out over awesome hardware. Those are the people that won't be able to use 4k and those are the people that will be the bulk of apple's target market as they try to take over the smart / connected TV market: people with decent HDTVs and okay internet connections.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There was s very little 4K content out there and a lot of it is fairly compressed due to the amount of bandwidth it takes to deliver it over the Internet. It's not going to be an issue anytime soon. I'd rather them focus on getting other things right then worry about 4K this year. Once more content is available and it's worthwhile then they can add it.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm still struggling with the overall feel of the Apple event yesterday. It seemed like a tired bunch of wealthy middle age men, out of touch with what's currently cool or fashionable, parading around in their 'uniform' of jeans & button down shirt - untucked if you like......

Where is the 'Style' in this Apple team? - I don't necessarily need them to revert to a "Classic Menswear" suit/tie but those untucked shirts with contrasting cuff colors have had their day. 10 years ago, it was different to see execs dressed casually. Now, the group they sent out looks totally out of touch with style/trends. I don't think Apple wants to project that image. There used to be some sense of cleverness to the style at these events, and now they just seem like they are trying too hard. Too many underwhelming upgrades that the speaker has to tell the audience are 'amazing'. Too many 55 year old men dressed like 55 year old men dress for a night out on the town.

(I'm still upgrading to the 6s)

This.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of thoughts, generally in agreement, but...

iPad Pro

• My wife is super excitied for the iPad Pro - being able to mark up legal docs on a large screen is huge for her.
  • I actually sit with my notebook on my legs a lot, so the case doesn't seem like it would work to replace a Macbook.
  • But if I was the Surface team at MS, I'd be pretty pissed.

New iPhones

• I'll probably do the upgrade plan, I don't care about selling my phone at the end, and all I want is to have the new one every year with no hassle
  • Upgrades seemed fine, but honestly nothing groundbreaking

AppleTV

• I agree the demos weren't that impressive
  • 4K is still in early adoption and not important this year - anyone who is buying a 4k can buy another AppleTV next year or whenever (look at the mess of HDR right now for an example of how they are ******* up 4K)
  • I think Nintendo is fucked.
  • Other fucked companies: Roku, Ouya, Amazon Fire TV

In general, it was fine. AppleTV is definitely going to be the largest announcement in the end.

But I really wished they had included the following:

• Induction charging.
  • A magsafe version of lightning at least
  • Apple Pencil for every touchscreen device not just Pro

Last edited:

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apple TV hasn't been updated in a LONG time. Now they can add 4k or what have you to the next iteration of this version. All the eggs in separate baskets, etc....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads