• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Apple Discussion Thread

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have an Apple leather case? Is it any good?

I've been using a very minimalTech21 case + tempered glass screen protection and that is probably what I'll go with again, but the saddle leather color looks nice.

But if it is at all like Apple Watch leather bands - then forget it. Those things were horrible plastic pieces of crap.

scamster

Reaction score
copped the gold in 128gb even though said before not a fan of gold per se but needed to get something different. was debating while ordering whether to go for the rose gold but as previously mentioned a little too pink, mine's coming in on 25th september, can't wait.

going to wait on the new apple tv and see if it can be jailbroken before grabbing one, have a 1st gen that haven't used in a while and just got a broadcom crystal had decoder so that may do me for the time being.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just back from a short trip to China. I haven't seen so many gold iphones before.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

copped the gold in 128gb even though said before not a fan of gold per se but needed to get something different. was debating while ordering whether to go for the rose gold but as previously mentioned a little too pink, mine's coming in on 25th september, can't wait.

going to wait on the new apple tv and see if it can be jailbroken before grabbing one, have a 1st gen that haven't used in a while and just got a broadcom crystal had decoder so that may do me for the time being.

I don't really get the deal with jailbreaking. I plan to install plex on mine, and that will stream anything I throw at it.

scamster

Reaction score
plex is not officially supported on apple tv, not yet anyway. you can install plex without a jailbreak but I'm not one for using an idevice or my mac to stream stuff from over to the apple tv when I can just use a jailbroken apple tv. also want to use it as a mini pvr mainly to record streams such as a football match using kodi.

word is plex is coming on the latest apple tv as an app but that could be a while yet.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just back from a short trip to China. I haven't seen so many gold iphones before.

Yeh, they go quite well with the Patek Philippe, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Bulgari and Mercedes Benz. :slayer: ...ssshhhh! just don't tell Xi Jinping.

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't really get the deal with jailbreaking. I plan to install plex on mine, and that will stream anything I throw at it.

It's usually so that you don't have to pay for apps, and jailbreaking iOS can defeat Apple DRM(Digital Restrictions Management) copyright protection on content. Apple, RIAA, MPAA, FBI and other spooks are not happy about it of course.

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been reading a lot of opinions by people saying 3D Touch is a gimmick and that its functions can be very easily replaced by simply holding down longer on icons, links, and whatnot.

This is ******* stupid.

I don't understand how people don't understand the fundamental difference between the two and how they ARE NOT easily interchangeable. Let's use an example this one intelligent poster brought up on an Apple rumors forum: instead of lightly pressing on an email to preview it, why not just hold onto it longer? And if you really want to go into the actual email, just hold down even longer!

Really? Okay, so let's tap and hold for 1-2 seconds to preview the email. Great. Now, if I want to actually view it, then let's say I have to hold down on the screen for an additional X seconds. That inherently means I "only" get X seconds to preview it before I have to decide whether I want to see the entire email or not. I'm not in control here. Time is, and it's basically you racing against the clock for every single gesture and action. It gives me less flexibility, not more.

It completely defeats one of the prime tenets of 3D Touch -- to let you complete common tasks, faster. By constraining the requirements against TIME, and depending on how long the duration of each 'hold' has to be, it's either a wash in terms of time saved, or, worse, a decrease.

Pressure allows you to do all the above without the constraint of time. I can preview an email in a split second -- not 1-2. I can "pop" into it in a second -- not 3-4. You can do **** faster and you're in control -- not time.

It's a flawed argument and I don't know why, but the sheer armchair authority people come down with to say such things really, really irks me.

People are ******* stupid.

I don't think people are realizing how huge of a time saver and convenience 3D Touch can (emphasis on can, as the wild card here is how third party developers take advantage of it) be.

Edit: and let's not forget how huge this will be for gaming.

Last edited:

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was thinking the 3d touch thing could be cool for making apps that mimic how paintbrushes behave. This would be really neat for calligraphy apps and such.

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3D touch is good for piano apps, finally got real touch sensitivity, i.e. harder you hit the note, louder it is, just like the real thing. :nodding:

Last edited:

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3d touch isn't going to be a game changer IMO. It is interesting, but without cues to know when and where to press harder, it will be niche and, honestly, probably forgotten by most people after a year.

If it was truly a multi-gradient pressure-sensitive, vs deeper clicks, I think that would be pretty damn cool in certain intrefaces.

Frankly, this is a minor upgrade, which is fine, I expect the 7 to have a lot more useful stuff. Like, hopefully, finally, induction charging. I also hope that the iPad Pro Pencil becomes usable on all the touchscreen devices. I'd love to see a move to USB C to just unify all of the different cords (but I expect that Apple loves its fat Lightning margins).

But even all that stuff is just incremental upgrade. No idea what would be a leap forward for smartphones at this point - maybe a Siri which shuts the **** up and doesn't give me **** when it is too ******* stupid to understand me. God I hate Siri and the smartass ****.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I disagree. I fully believe it will be a game changer.

Again, I think people are underestimating how useful it can be. It most certainly will not be something that people just forget about and never use again. I am willing to wager a large sum of money on this.

Edit: I should clarify. I don't think it'll be a game changer in the sense that people will go, "by golly, this is AMAAAZIIIINGGGGGG!!!" but more in the sense that once they get used to it, they won't be able to go back without it.

Last edited:

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For those with the 6plus, does it fit in your pockets/easy to carry? My main concern about getting the big one is the carrying problems due to the increased size.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The crew from Verge were surprised by how non "gimmicky" the 3D Touch felt with the time they spent. Most were ready to write it off but are now leaning towards it being a great feature.

The big question is why do the new iPads not have it? The Pro should at least. Isn't it supposed to be the feature packed pro device? You know this is coming in a revision at some point sooner then later.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics