• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Apple Discussion Thread

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
agreed that the 6 isn't the prettiest thing Apple has made. It's not ugly or anything, but it's a little lackluster and boring. Biggest design flaw, IMO, is the slightly protruding camera. Whoever said they should have made the body slightly thicker and used that space for a bigger battery is 100% right. At the end of the day it's just a minor thing to me.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are some great deals on trade-ins this time around. Wonder how much that's influencing the record sales numbers....

I think there were a lot of 4 and 4s out there. If they've downloaded any of the new ios updates in the past year their phones are probably running like pregnant yaks so they're happy to upgrade.

lefty

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The $200 trade in deal with At&t ends this month. So i would decide quickly as that will be hard to beat for such old hardware.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can I get a couple of you to test something for me? In ios8 on your iPad does the book mark/tool bar disappear when you scroll up and reappear when you scroll down?

Thats how it functions on my iPad and iPhone but a guy I know says it doesn't reappear when he scrolls down. I think it might be a bug.

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
While the 6's battery is superior to my old 5s', it still leaves a bit to be desired and I think I know why.

T mobile.

Namely, they have piss poor reception inside buildings and I think my phone is working harder than those on att or Verizon for signal. I remember my 5 (not the 5s) on att had a beast of a battery life.

Anyone else who made the switch to T-Mobile noticing the same thing?

Last edited:

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can I get a couple of you to test something for me? In ios8 on your iPad does the book mark/tool bar disappear when you scroll up and reappear when you scroll down?

Thats how it functions on my iPad and iPhone but a guy I know says it doesn't reappear when he scrolls down. I think it might be a bug.

Yep.

Safari is fucked on my OG iPad 2. Constantly freezes and crashes. This is my 3rd attempt at this post. If the update doesn't fix it then I'm at a crossroads of getting 6 and new iPad or only the 6+ which, based on my experience at store yesterday, is just a really ******* weird device.

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bunch of people on the mac rumors forums are reporting the phones are bending from being in their pants pocket for long periods of time. Wow.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Flexgate.

Calling it now.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gen 5 phones have the same problem. I have flex marks near the volume controls on my 5 from taking the phone in and out of cases.

Generally I don't put my phone in my trouser pockets. The exception is the front welt pockets on my Triple Aught Design Spartan pants but that's a specific design. I see folks put their phones in their back pockets and I wonder why more aren't broken.

Back in the 80's we marveled at LCD calculators that were roughly the size of a credit card. They sold like hotcakes - mainly due to folx buying replacements for ones they sat on and broke.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, I don't think it's a bug. I think they're increasing screen real estate for web pages. They also switched around the location of the bookmark and share buttons, which is harmless but odd.
Yep.

Safari is fucked on my OG iPad 2. Constantly freezes and crashes. This is my 3rd attempt at this post. If the update doesn't fix it then I'm at a crossroads of getting 6 and new iPad or only the 6+ which, based on my experience at store yesterday, is just a really ******* weird device.

Lots of warnings out there not to install 8 on the iPad 2, as well as any iPhone before the 5. It may be possible, but so was running System 7 on a Mac Plus. Doesn't mean you should do it.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's going to be amusing to watch if @dcg was right and this turns into a potential issue with the hardware.

Doubling down on them making it so thin was a mistake.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Yes, I don't think it's a bug. I think they're increasing screen real estate for web pages. They also switched around the location of the bookmark and share buttons, which is harmless but odd. 

To be clear I think it reappearing when you scroll up is the intended behavior. Is that what you are saying you experience?

He is making a huge deal out of it. The bar doesn't appear for him when he scrolls up. Only by tapping the top status bar. I don't think it's a huge deal at all, but am curious if what he's experiencing is a bug or not.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having just replaced my iPhone 5 battery, I think the reason they didn't go thicker with a bigger battery is because the battery isn't liquid. Every phone battery they've made is a rectangle and the size of the phone is dictated by their ability to shrink down all the other components. Now is it possible that they could have made it 1 mm thicker and re-arranged the rest of the components by stacking them more vertically or otherwise so they could make it work? I don't really know, but I suspect it's harder than it sounds. They do a lot of custom work, but look at the bill of materials and you'll see a lot of off the shelf chips. They don't custom fabricate every part in the phone. Would be interesting to know if they tried different thicknesses the way they did different screen sizes. Maybe the answer is a phone that is thicker in the middle where the battery is.

Have to say though, since I replaced my battery, the life has been phenomenal. Most days I'm over 50% when I go to bed. Maybe the months of living with a defective battery conditioned me (that and turning off unnecessary background app refresh, all notifications, etc.) but I have a feeling I will be plenty happy with the 6 that's waiting for me in my office.

Last edited:

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be clear I think it reappearing when you scroll up is the intended behavior. Is that what you are saying you experience?

He is making a huge deal out of it. The bar doesn't appear for him when he scrolls up. Only by tapping the top status bar. I don't think it's a huge deal at all, but am curious if what he's experiencing is a bug or not.

Yes, the bar reappears when you scroll up. Not had it not do so yet.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The nicest phone I've seen in years is the HTC One. That thing is a pleasure to pick up and hold.

The home button on the 6 looks archaic - like a rotary dial.

lefty

I think if someone (Apple or Android) came out with a full powered 4" model, it'd sell very well. Not saying there aren't a ton of people wanting the larger phone; just saying I think there are still a lot of us who don't.

About the closest you can get to that is Sony's 4.6" Xperia Z3 Compact which has the same specs as it's "full-size" Xperia Z3 and is close to the size of the iPhone 5. I wish it sold well and was evidence of market demand for high-end, moderately-sized phone, but it doesn't really sell that well.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/3/6097817/the-xperia-z3-compact-is-sonys-true-new-flagship-phone

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads