• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Apple Discussion Thread

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If getting to use an SD card (I don't want to) meant I had to be on Android, that's gotta be a "HOW ABOUT NO!!!" for me.

:lol:

You don't want an SD card because you honestly feel an extra 128 or 256 gigs of storage is pointless on a phone that kills 375 megs/minute or do you feel you don't need it because Apple days you don't need it?

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You don't want an SD card because you honestly feel an extra 128 or 256 gigs of storage is pointless on a phone that kills 375 megs/minute or do you feel you don't need it because Apple days you don't need it?

I don't need it because my usage patterns don't involve a lot of video shooting anyway. There's enough to warrant more than 32 gigs of space but 128 should be plenty for me. I just don't need all dat space.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember when 64 gigs seemed like a gawd awful amount of space. "I will never use this much space" I said to myself

Pictures, videos and music made it disappear like that *snap*. I can't see having less than 128 gigs and I don't shoot 4k video

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

You just need to get an iPhone level Android device... Comparing poor people phones to flagship hardware is apples to oranges.

New Nexus devices expected soon!

You have a point, but this poor person phone I am using performs worse in basic tasks then I remember even my oldest iPhones. Apps crash often. The touch response is janky and often opens links I did not intend to open. UI often takes way too long to perform even the most basic of tasks. Etc, etc, etc. I am sure a lot of this is related to Samsung's Touchwiz, but damn it's not a good experience. The phone's specs should be more then enough to provide a reasonable experience. Look them up if you think I am incorrect.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Moto has some cheap phones that still provide a good experience, so it must be Samsung's crap, or hardware that looks good on paper but which hasn't had much firmware optimization.

My 2013 moto x is starting to show its age, but it doesn't feel that much worse than my gf's brand new SE (although I did notice that her uber app started up twice as fast as mine this morning). I clearly have an Android boner, but I've spent plenty of time using iPhones (set up with my accounts and everything)... Several times I have been close to buying one (I would have really enjoyed having a 5s had the timing worked out). They definitely win the snappy UI battle, although only barely against "real" Android, and upon release, they usually have the best form factor and hardware.

But something always kills it for me. This headphone jack thing almost certainly kills it for me on principle unless they pull out something mind blowing. The top of the line Android experience has pros and cons, but overall it is at least equal to the iOS experience.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thinking about this lightning headphone adapter... Will it emerge from the phone at a right angle?

If not, how far out is your headphone plug going to stick? 90%of my headphone use sees the phone in a pocket... Often a tight pants pocket that bends when I sit.

Stick some inch long adapter out of the phone and I'm going to start breaking stuff with the leverage

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Moto has some cheap phones that still provide a good experience, so it must be Samsung's crap, or hardware that looks good on paper but which hasn't had much firmware optimization.

My 2013 moto x is starting to show its age, but it doesn't feel that much worse than my gf's brand new SE (although I did notice that her uber app started up twice as fast as mine this morning). I clearly have an Android boner, but I've spent plenty of time using iPhones (set up with my accounts and everything)... Several times I have been close to buying one (I would have really enjoyed having a 5s had the timing worked out). They definitely win the snappy UI battle, although only barely against "real" Android, and upon release, they usually have the best form factor and hardware.

But something always kills it for me. This headphone jack thing almost certainly kills it for me on principle unless they pull out something mind blowing. The top of the line Android experience has pros and cons, but overall it is at least equal to the iOS experience.

This post is full of sexual innuendos that someone needs to tap.

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
otc needs the 3.5mm headphone jack so he can jam ******** into it for docking purposes.

Let's just say that "information" is disseminated one way.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with Samsung's modifications to Android and all the bloatware they add. Keep in mind they somehow manage to even make a top of the line flagship phone have spotty performance compared to the competition.

http://www.xda-developers.com/with-...delivers-embarrassing-real-world-performance/

The biggest issue I have with the Android platform is how hard it is to get "real" Android. We get a couple Nexus models a year and if we are lucky a couple more make it to market without modifications. I also don't want to deal with rooting a handset just to get it to perform how it should and get timely updates.

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Either way you would have upgraded over the 32 correct? So be happy they are giving you 128 instead of 64 for the same $100 price jump.

True. Or they could have made 64 the base with flash memory prices plummeting over the past few years.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The biggest issue I have with the Android platform is how hard it is to get "real" Android. We get a couple Nexus models a year and if we are lucky a couple more make it to market without modifications. I also don't want to deal with rooting a handset just to get it to perform how it should and get timely updates.

I agree with that. I still can't tell 100% what's in it for Samsung to keep doing this ****. Why spend money developing this crap when google is willing to develop better versions for you at no additional cost?

Although I haven't rooted a phone since my original Galaxy S1. The moto X isn't bone stock android, but motorola's additions are unobtrusive and some are actually pretty nice (and they are more like "added features" than "replacements for perfectly good stock features"). Simply having a standard OS has its benefits--although you have to wait for AT&T to stop ******* around and actually provide updates, you also don't have to ever think about "should I update to version .3.2.012??? Will I have to wipe my phone to do it???". Rooted my Nexus 7 at some point (pre-marshmallow) to allow it to read SD cards from a USB reader...but that only required visiting a website and clicking "root me", and that functionality is now built in to android >6.0 IIRC.

The apple update system is really nice because they can bypass the carriers and aren't dealing with idiot OEMs. Although If I wanted to read SD cards on my iphone, I'd need a $30 official lighting reader (that I can't reuse on my computer) and they only started supporting it on phones with ios9.2. There's something to be said about it being possible on android for many years with a $2 usb cable instead of a $30 single-purpose dongle :)

But hey, I'm waiting to see what happens. My company's phone reimbursement money is burning a hole in my pocket and is going to get spent in the next month or two.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I agree with that. I still can't tell 100% what's in it for Samsung to keep doing this ****. Why spend money developing this crap when google is willing to develop better versions for you at no additional cost?

Branding. The skinning of the OS helps Samsung brand their phones as their own and make them look and feel different then the competition.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads