• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Anderson & Sheppard Expatriates Thread

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Steed is pretty baller; I’ve thought about handing them some of my Neapolitan jackets to see if they can make a decent summer jacket. My linen DB is too heavy for the dc summers.

I’m surprised rubinacci doesn’t come to Texas.
The first thing Edwin made for me was a linen double breasted suit and it’s pretty heavy for Texas summers. But I had him do a 3-patch SB sport coat in a plum fabric that is unlined and lighter construction and is really great. He’s making me another in a light grey plaid that he’s doing straight to finish so that hopefully it’ll be here for at least part of the summer.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first thing Edwin made for me was a linen double breasted suit and it’s pretty heavy for Texas summers. But I had him do a 3-patch SB sport coat in a plum fabric that is unlined and lighter construction and is really great. He’s making me another in a light grey plaid that he’s doing straight to finish so that hopefully it’ll be here for at least part of the summer.
What is the fabric weight of the plum jacket?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don’t really recall. 10oz maybe? No clue really. Matthew would know.

MrFingers

Reaction score
I just received a package from the Steed boys today in fact.
1. A pair of cream semi-bespoke summer trousers. The last of an order of three pair of trousers.
2. A bespoke waistcoat for my semi-bespoke tuxedo. Options in the semi-bespoke line are more limited and the waistcoat I wanted was only available bespoke so I had them order enough midnight cloth for all three pieces. I did the S-B two piece last year and then added the waistcoat this year.
Cream trousers in what cloth? I’ve been on the hunt for a pair for winter and a pair for summer. I’m about to settle on a cream/ecru linen pair but for winter I’m kinda lost honestly

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cream trousers in what cloth? I’ve been on the hunt for a pair for winter and a pair for summer. I’m about to settle on a cream/ecru linen pair but for winter I’m kinda lost honestly
I don’t recall exactly but they’re a lighter weight worsted wool. I only got them over Edwin’s objection. He hates making cream trousers. 😝

I have a winter OTR pair in a Fox cricket flannel that I like a lot. But was needing to upgrade my summer pair.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Fox Flannels have about three or four options for this. Twill, barathea, flannel.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Morning coat by Steed
IMG_8240.jpeg

jb335

Reaction score
Have any more people had experience with Redmayne made to measure since it was last mentioned? I have several bespoke orders from Tom, and they are great, but I am thinking MTM might make more sense for something like a dinner suit, which will not be worn as frequently and thus it is more difficult to justify the added cost that comes with bespoke (especially if I also get an ivory or cream DJ). Having a better sense of how the MTM product compares would help.
Bumping this, would also be curious! Trying to decide between Steed and Redmayne for a MTM wedding suit for next year.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From their respective websites Steed has a more padded "British" shoulder
on their MTM compared to their bespoke which looks more "natural. Redmayne
seems to have more padded shoulders on both MTM and bespoke.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not get a Steed MTM unless they've completely changed whomever makes them.

Bespoke Redmayne is also soft shouldered with drape: it's basically what Mahon was cutting before at English Cut.

jb335

Reaction score
I would not get a Steed MTM unless they've completely changed whomever makes them.

Bespoke Redmayne is also soft shouldered with drape: it's basically what Mahon was cutting before at English Cut.
Thanks for the info. Would be curious to hear what you think is sub-par about Steed MTM, which seems to have a lot of fans on SF.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Would be curious to hear what you think is sub-par about Steed MTM, which seems to have a lot of fans on SF.
I'm basing my opinion on some photos that were posted here a while ago: they were boxy and shapeless: the total opposite of their bespoke line. I could not believe how bad they looked. Perhaps they've changed since.

Reaction score
I'm basing my opinion on some photos that were posted here a while ago: they were boxy and shapeless: the total opposite of their bespoke line. I could not believe how bad they looked. Perhaps they've changed since.
Usually , when you get an mtm you should have the option to ask to the tailor to modify the jacket (maybe tightening the weist to give a more fitted shape ; or also inserting a lower pad inside the shoulders).

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe Steed now has two MTM options. The newer option is what they call semi-bespoke, which is made by the same people who make their bespoke stuff and using the same materials but using more machine sewing and straight to finish. Edwin still does the measurements, of course. I haven't asked them for a while, but I think the older MTM option is still available and still made at the same factory.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics