• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Anderson & Sheppard Expatriates Thread

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd actually be curious if there's any reason most tailors don't do single piece backs.

My understanding: if you need to do certain alterations in the future, you may be limited by the fact that there's no center back seam. For example, if you gain weight, an alterations tailor might let out the back seam. But now there's no back seam, the tailor will have to adjust the garment using side seams.

A center back seam can also allow you to get more shaping in the back. This may be useful if you have a very athletic build.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My understanding: if you need to do certain alterations in the future, you may be limited by the fact that there's no center back seam. For example, if you gain weight, an alterations tailor might let out the back seam. But now there's no back seam, the tailor will have to adjust the garment using side seams.

A center back seam can also allow you to get more shaping in the back. This may be useful if you have a very athletic build.

This is a double edged sword because alterations using the center back seam can be very complicated and are often poorly understood. If we're talking about an actual maker, then they probably understand all of this, but you are really rolling the dice with an alterations tailor or someone who doesnt have the knowledge of how to actually cut and sew a jacket themselves.

jimney

Reaction score

I'm hoping they wouldn't suggest it if it would limit adjustments in the future, but I'm guessing they would just let it out at the side seams or something.

Butler

Reaction score
My latest Steven Hitchcock commision - Foxbrothers cloth - my usual gauntlet cuffs, high waistcoat with vertical hole for watchchain and with pockets slanted to match the slanted to the coat's, 1 patched breast pocket.
Screenshot_20211223-061152_Instagram.jpg

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping they wouldn't suggest it if it would limit adjustments in the future, but I'm guessing they would just let it out at the side seams or something.

IIRC Steed offers lifetime alterations on their garments, so I'm sure they would build in the appropriate allowances in order to compensate for only being able to adjust on the sides vs. the sides and the center back

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My latest Steven Hitchcock commision - Foxbrothers cloth - my usual gauntlet cuffs, high waistcoat with vertical hole for watchchain and with pockets slanted to match the slanted to the coat's, 1 patched breast pocket. View attachment 1744323
Nice to see you here again!

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to see Steed today in DC. It's been ages since I've had something bespoke made, nothing I have fits me anymore and the last 4 years were all business casual (with the last 2 being, uh, REALLY casual.) Edwin, Matthew, and Chris were all great to speak with. Excited!

rjkabk

Reaction score
Just received my first Steed MTM. I'm loving the jacket so far, most comfortable jacket I have ever worn. There may be a few adjustments they need to make when I see them again but nothing has stood out. This is the first time I have received a jacket without material bunching up under the back of the collar that needed to be corrected. I do have some questions about pants. Maybe its just the way Steed does pants, but it seems there is some excess material in the seat/crouch/thigh area. While it does make the pants comfortable, it seems to make my legs look shorter. Judging by some of the post from Steed on internet, this seems to be normal with their pants, but can anyone confirm this is normal or not?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Without seeing pics it’s hard to know what you mean. I’d suggest setting up a zoom call with them so they can have a look.

rjkabk

Reaction score
Without seeing pics it’s hard to know what you mean. I’d suggest setting up a zoom call with them so they can have a look.

Yes Matthew mentioned that as an option when they mailed the suit. I was wondering if they can tell much from a zoom call. But I guess I will give it a shot.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a double edged sword because alterations using the center back seam can be very complicated and are often poorly understood. If we're talking about an actual maker, then they probably understand all of this, but you are really rolling the dice with an alterations tailor or someone who doesnt have the knowledge of how to actually cut and sew a jacket themselves.

In my experience the tailor usually took in or let out the side seams.
I often buy RTW a size larger to accommodate broader than average
chest and shoulders. So,I often have jackets taken in.If this practice is
the norm, then it shouldn't matter whether there is a center seam or not.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads