• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tell me about my classic J&M shoes please

DC_lawstd

Reaction score
First post, I love reading this stuff, and I thought someone might be able to lend some knowledge. My grandfather loved shoes, he was always trying to give me his and until he passed away and I had grown up a bit (I'm now 24), I decided to browse the collection, by then unfortunately depleted. I was able to grab two pairs that looked both salvageable and like something I would wear. Two Aristocrafts (I posted better quality thumbs below) Both of the pairs you see were in fairly rough shape, but them being aristocrafts, I took them to the JM store and attempted to have them factory refurbed only to learn (at least this is what they told me) that the models were no longer in the catalogue and could not be refurbed. I did elect to have the local shoe guy the JM store recommended take a crack at them and I was very pleased. I wear the wingtips all the time, the loafers not as much. Now what I don't know: First, does anyone have any idea how old these might be? I am guessing somewhere around 40+ years, back when my grandfather was actually wearing nice shoes. Second, I never see shoes with the texture on the wingtips. Is that what I see referred to as pebble grain? Where can you find shoes like that now? You can see some damage to the leather, is that something a good shoe guy can clean up without much of a trace? Finally, any tips for keeping such old shoes lasting for even longer? I am really amazed at how long a well made pair can last, I have some serious doubts about my new model JMs I got only about year ago, Greenwich wings, made in Mexico...no thanks, I hold off for now until I can buy a real pair of shoes (though I did get them NIB off of ebay for under $50). Sorry if this post is packed, especially for a newbie, but I'd appreciate any info anyone might lend.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DC_lawstd
First post, I love reading this stuff, and I thought someone might be able to lend some knowledge. My grandfather loved shoes, he was always trying to give me his and until he passed away and I had grown up a bit (I'm now 24), I decided to browse the collection, by then unfortunately depleted. I was able to grab two pairs that looked both salvageable and like something I would wear.

Two Aristocrafts

Both of the pairs you see were in fairly rough shape, but them being aristocrafts, I took them to the JM store and attempted to have them factory refurbed only to learn (at least this is what they told me) that the models were no longer in the catalogue and could not be refurbed. I did elect to have the local shoe guy the JM store recommended take a crack at them and I was very pleased. I wear the wingtips all the time, the loafers not as much.

Now what I don't know: First, does anyone have any idea how old these might be? I am guessing somewhere around 40+ years, back when my grandfather was actually wearing nice shoes. Second, I never see shoes with the texture on the wingtips. Is that what I see referred to as pebble grain? Where can you find shoes like that now? You can see some damage to the leather, is that something a good shoe guy can clean up without much of a trace? Finally, any tips for keeping such old shoes lasting for even longer? I am really amazed at how long a well made pair can last, I have some serious doubts about my new model JMs I got only about year ago, Greenwich wings, made in Mexico...no thanks, I hold off for now until I can buy a real pair of shoes (though I did get them NIB off of ebay for under $50). Sorry if this post is packed, especially for a newbie, but I'd appreciate any info anyone might lend.

Your grandfather had very good taste. When I was a teenager, I had a pair of the loafers in calf. It was 1966 and I had just finished high school. I paid around $30 and that was in Indianapolis.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
i really want to see these. just upload them to sf

Me too...I'm wondering if the top left side is gator or maybe....sea turtle? The pix need a bit of enhancing in the clarity dept IMO because I don't know what is neglect through lack of attention/age and what is patina...

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DC_lawstd
bump for any other thoughts, comments

i agree with distinctive about having a cobbler clean those up. very nice shoes - and if they're american made, the interior construction should be excellent - it's a shame J&M stopped making shoes in the states.

DC_lawstd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
i agree with distinctive about having a cobbler clean those up. very nice shoes - and if they're american made, the interior construction should be excellent - it's a shame J&M stopped making shoes in the states.

I agree its a shame. My father and grandfather both sang the praises of the old J&M. Now they can't even fix up a pair of their own shoes that were actually made with lasting quality.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads