• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm shifting that strategy to be a bit safer by sticking to larger cap stocks and holding them for longer (ie a 'value investor' type of approach) but I still tend to actively buy and sell as I go.

I've become much more selective about the companies I'm buying, trying to hold them for longer, going for ones with larger market caps and often dividends, etc. So I'm slowly backing out of the pure gamble in a sense.

With something like this EPZM drop, it was on my radar as a company I liked anyway but this was just a quick buy in and sell a few times type of trade for the day. If I ended up holding onto it for a few months or a year, at the 9.5 buy in price I wouldn't have minded anyway.

no real trading fees by the way. I pay $100/month for real time data and beyond that it's 1 cent per share, so if I'm buying 20-30 or even 100 of something, it's a few cents here and there. I specifically do that so I can make 4-5 trades in a day and the cost is negligible and I don't have to cut into a quick $10-20 flip profit with $5 trades.

At this pointoverall, I'm about 25% cash, and 20% REITS, 10% indexed funds, and the rest in about 10-12 various stocks. Biggest holding is GILD, then FSLR, then MAT, and beyond that a few smaller positions on AAPL, LULU, BMY, AOBC, and some others.

brokencycle

Reaction score
http://www.coindesk.com/thomson-reu...age:d_flagship3_feed;3XogrJpASwCYsN5+/kIHQw==

It will be interesting to see if Bloomberg and others follow suit.

I'm shifting that strategy to be a bit safer by sticking to larger cap stocks and holding them for longer (ie a 'value investor' type of approach) but I still tend to actively buy and sell as I go.

I've become much more selective about the companies I'm buying, trying to hold them for longer, going for ones with larger market caps and often dividends, etc. So I'm slowly backing out of the pure gamble in a sense.

With something like this EPZM drop, it was on my radar as a company I liked anyway but this was just a quick buy in and sell a few times type of trade for the day. If I ended up holding onto it for a few months or a year, at the 9.5 buy in price I wouldn't have minded anyway.

no real trading fees by the way. I pay $100/month for real time data and beyond that it's 1 cent per share, so if I'm buying 20-30 or even 100 of something, it's a few cents here and there. I specifically do that so I can make 4-5 trades in a day and the cost is negligible and I don't have to cut into a quick $10-20 flip profit with $5 trades.

At this pointoverall, I'm about 25% cash, and 20% REITS, 10% indexed funds, and the rest in about 10-12 various stocks. Biggest holding is GILD, then FSLR, then MAT, and beyond that a few smaller positions on AAPL, LULU, BMY, AOBC, and some others.

I get your first part, and I don't even disagree with it. The second part just doesn't seem to square with the first to me. If you're becoming more of a "value investor" type investor, I don't see how buying and selling multiple times in a day or week based on fluctuations in the price of an individual stock. I get seeing buying a drop in a stock you think is strong but to flip it for a few points of gain the same day only to perhaps rebuy it later seems counter-intuitive to me.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Whoa nelly. Crypto took the elevator down this morning. It's stabilized and come back up a bit, but so is the roller coaster.

Today's drop happened as my wife and her mom both want to take a little nibble. What's that they say about when people you don't expect to ask do so, it's time to sell?

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So who should we use for buying these things? I might throw $100 at a couple.

I use coinbase to get the dollars converted, and then transfer to Bittrex for the altcoins.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this is what I do as well.

really wish coinbase would let you set up buy orders if certain thresholds are met.

I agree. It's pretty damn basic. You can't even setup a limit order.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, coinbase is still giving me the error and their support hasn't responded yet (and this morning their website was experiencing temporary difficulties again).

But Ethereum is now down to $303, so I guess you could say they just saved me 22%?

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, coinbase is still giving me the error and their support hasn't responded yet (and this morning their website was experiencing temporary difficulties again).

But Ethereum is now down to $303, so I guess you could say they just saved me 22%?

I hear they are completely swamped, with limited staff.

My mining operation is going ok. I'm up to $80. Thinking of just rolling that money over into more mining. Not sure.

stimulacra

Reaction score
Supposedly Joe Kennedy (JFK's dad) knew to get out of the stock market before Black Tuesday (1929) when he received an unsolicited stock tip from the shoe shine boy…

I think it holds painfully true today. I occasionally chat with acquaintances and they're chasing whatever last month's trend is (FANG, Momentum trading, Forex) and telling me I'm missing out but if you probe a bit deeper they don't have a clear investing strategy / goal and are usually reluctant to disclose the stinkers amid “getting in early on Tesla” fishing tales.

Question for Texas folks: What bond funds do you prefer for Taxable? Looking at VTEAX (Vanguard Tax-Exempt Bond Index Admiral Fund) but not super keen on the 0.25% purchase fee.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just curious, what is the income play come retirement for index fund investing? You going to shave off the top, 4-5% per year and live off your SS benefit and pension/other retirement assets and investments?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads