• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Saltricks

Reaction score
Man that's crazy with GERN, after hours dropped 15 percent to 1.85 and I had it at 2.40!! Sheesh, so glad I sold earlier.

I'm thinking that there will be hell to pay when the market opens tomorrow, then looking for a late day rally.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Man that's crazy with GERN, after hours dropped 15 percent to 1.85 and I had it at 2.40!! Sheesh, so glad I sold earlier.
I'm thinking that there will be hell to pay when the market opens tomorrow, then looking for a late day rally.

Probably a little over sold if the Cancer treatments are as close as they say. Also, this was a $7 stock not too long ago and at one point the only company doing work with ESC. These work guys. The spinal treatment is just considered too hard to measure efficacy. Now my ACTC, its the only company that is FDA approved to conduct experiements, does not destroy the embryo and is poised to release results soon.

Yeah, I'm pumped.

Saltricks

Reaction score

Probably a little over sold if the Cancer treatments are as close as they say. Also, this was a $7 stock not too long ago and at one point the only company doing work with ESC. These work guys. The spinal treatment is just considered too hard to measure efficacy. Now my ACTC, its the only company that is FDA approved to conduct experiements, does not destroy the embryo and is poised to release results soon.
Yeah, I'm pumped.

Yeah, I truly believe stem cells are the future, though I get a lot of people saying its a big scam to provide welfare for scientists. Ill look into ACTC. What about CUR and STEM?

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I truly believe stem cells are the future, though I get a lot of people saying its a big scam to provide welfare for scientists. Ill look into ACTC. What about CUR and STEM?

ACTC IMO is the closest company to actually produce anything. The funny thing is I could see GERN coming back once Federal Funding starts. There's a good chance that a Chinese company could buy them out as well. The U.S. has invested 125 million in stem cell tech, the Chinese have invested 2.5 Billion. And people wonder why we're playing catch up all the time.

Saltricks

Reaction score
lol I didn't know it was so cheap...I bought 2500 shares ACTC after researching them last night. So we'll see how that goes.

GERN announced promising results for their cancer drugs...but still years and years away from producing anything ><. No announcement of partners today, no nothing. Yikes.

Edit:
Today was crazy! My shares in NVIV are up 18 percent after news spread about GERN got out. Yeesh!

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can one of my betters explain how this works?

Take a stock like Lloyds, there are 2 symbols: LLOY in London and LYG on the NYSE

They seem to use ARDs or American Depository Receipts, which I dont understand.

Why are they vastly different in price and other metrics? I dont understand how international stocks trading on the NYSE works in general, any help?

Last edited:

Saltricks

Reaction score
NVIV up 35 percent! $$$

Honestly guys, do your due diligence, but this is very promising right now (NVIV). First of all, their main competitor, GERON just dropped out of the spinal research race. Second, they have basically made spinal injured monkeys walk again using their product, with human trials to commence in weeks. Third, their product is a medical device which basically guarantees a fast track to approval and widespread commercial use. The time frame is only a few months, with first data from the human trials around march 2012. Good news from those trials (even minor improvement such as bladder control) could jump the stock to 5 dollars. Total recovery would be nobel prize material, and who knows what the stock could do then.

Do your DD, but I'm in this for the long haul.

Last edited:

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't invest too much of your portfolio into those companies. For every one company that makes a successful drug there are plenty more failed ones. If the FDA doesn't approve their medical device, and t hey don't have enough money for retrials it's a quick drop to 0.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not just that, but the USPTO can be another big hurdle, even when it shouldn't be, as I found with what's been happening to Amarin Corp lately. They get a final rejection from the patent office, and my stock drops by half. Wish the CEO would do a little PR, explain the patent process. But he's stayed silent and it's enraging investors.

Last edited:

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah. Me too. In ACTC here, Sloph turned me onto that one. I'd rather hold the stock and have it go to zero, than not hold it and and miss the chance at millions, the way Apple could have done for me back in college in the early 2000s

Last edited:

Saltricks

Reaction score
Sold my shares of SIRI for a nice thanksgiving present :slayer:. Now to wait for the retreat to 1.60/1.65 and do it again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads