• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buffet doesn't like banks anymore (except BOA) - are you guys bearish on banks too?

Cause Moe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you draw enough charts, some of them will look right.
I like the decorative boxes added to the unlabeled data. All the red boxes lean right, and all the blue boxes lean left. Scientifically proven by scientists.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
This is the way.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grantham has been predicting this every year since the GFC. Also, clicking through GMO funds, they are lagging their benchmarks over the past 10yrs but they are quick to point out if you have been investing with them since inception, you would have made some premium. What's to say they didn't get lucky early on and are just 5hitting the bed now?

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everytime I see a MW or Barron's headline predicting doom I click on it. Then the expert being quoted is Grantham or Roubini and I stop reading.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m not a doom thinker, but average P/E is currently 22 for the S&P500. With the fed fund rate at 5% that means you’re entirely dependent on earnings growth for stocks to make sense.

The economy is doing well, but it does make me jittery..

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking outside nonsense stock land, seems to me like tons of stuff is undervalued.

Take Vornado. They are at a sub $3b market cap. They have $12b+ in real estate. If every bank loan got called in today, they'd still have more assets than market cap. And they give 10%+ div.

But commercial real estate is dead forever! New York is dead!

They own like everything near Penn Station, tons near Times Square, tons of the best RE in NYC, Mart Chicago, and 555 Cal in SF.

It's all nonsense. Let's go buy Nvidia!

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's the equivalent of @smittycl posting his climate doom stuff.
1681405843096.gif

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So he predicted the crashes of 2000 and 2008. But he predicts a crash every year, so is this one of those “even a broken clock” types of things ?

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So he predicted the crashes of 2000 and 2008. But he predicts a crash every year, so is this one of those “even a broken clock” types of things ?
Exactly, he literally calls for a crash every couple of years. Do it for a couple of decades (or more) and you’ll get lucky a couple of times since corrections happen about every two years, bear markets are about sever years apart and crashes every twelve years or so….

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads