• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I buy dogecoin do I actually get coins with a pic of doge stamped on them ?

Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 2.25.57 PM.png
saw this on drudge earlier super cute

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
50k cash because my wife and I are risk averse, and everything else in index funds for the same reason.

I hate the stock market but I probably should do more to understand it.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
50k cash because my wife and I are risk averse, and everything else in index funds for the same reason.

Same same. I was even a registered representative at one time, but I really have just enough knowledge to be dangerous. Mostly to myself.

brokencycle

Reaction score

I'm sure you have done colleagues that can explain it to you.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
You can put your extra money in index funds too. No one said you have to take more risk.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

I mean when most people say they are in boring index funds they usually mean like a bond fund and maybe an S&P fund. They say I have $X and it usually sounds like they want to ride the next IPO or some sort of risky investment which would mean more risky options for the money.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
You can put your e-fund into an S&P fund/ETF but let's say you needed to tap it this week. Well, you just sold on a dip. When money is in the market it's at risk, and if you need it, you don't want SORR to hurt you on top of whatever reason you needed that cash.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm sure you have done colleagues that can explain it to you.
I just imitate finance professors, since they are in a similar boat as me but understand the market much better than I ever could. They all just invest in index funds, so I’m following suit.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I just imitate finance professors, since they are in a similar boat as me and understand the market much better than I ever could. They all just invest in index funds, so I’m following suit.

See, your knowledge is keeping you academics poor. You have to be one of these WSB types that is too stupid to realize the impossible odds. Even better: be a Wall St guy, and you're doing what the WSB guy does with other people's money.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See, your knowledge is keeping you academics poor. You have to be one of these WSB types that is too stupid to realize the impossible odds. Even better: be a Wall St guy, and you're doing what the WSB guy does with other people's money.
Stonks to the moon!! Rocket emoji

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
See, your knowledge is keeping you academics poor. You have to be one of these WSB types that is too stupid to realize the impossible odds.
I'm imagining an IQ curve where on the left & right tails people invest in individual stocks and the middle is purely index funds.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Or maybe academics do that because there’s truth in the adage “those that can’t do, teach” :stirpot:

I’m all equities plus cash for a year’s worth of expenses. Much more if shtf and I end up selling all these ******* cars. Huge opportunity cost but if I keep getting more positive news on job security I plan to roll it back into equities. I’m young enough to weather a downturn or two

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads