• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
sounded a lot like Trump to me, I mean literally, I feel like they actually sound and intonate the same way

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

LC is a credit play all about default rate.  Unregulated loan sharking company masquerade as "FinTech".

China p2p lending is far worse still (or far greater profiteering opportunity), LC co-founder is running a shop in Shanghai again. There are probably hundreds of them all doing the same ****; financing speculative real estate investments.  Instead of taking second ARM mortgage to finance down payments, now they go onto p2p lending sites!!

Good idea in principle, peer to peer lending. Cut out banks, be your own lender, bla bla bla. I tried it about 7 years ago with Prosper. While I did make a return of about 4%, I would have done much better had the site not become an easy cash cow for those about to file for bankruptcy. It was a joke... fund part of a loan and 3 mos later see that inevitable "B" next to the status.

I did a spread of 50% AAA types and then scaled down into the real bogeys at E.

The company failed in it's due diligence responsibilities, it turns out only credit checked 1 agency, lots more. There was a class action actually, I ended up collecting like $50 ha ha, gotta love lawyers. Anyway, properly implemented this would work. Actually PayPal has started its own working capital thingy, bypasses banks completely. It's a rocky start but this kind of stuff is viable.

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good idea in principle, peer to peer lending. Cut out banks, be your own lender, bla bla bla. I tried it about 7 years ago with Prosper. While I did make a return of about 4%, I would have done much better had the site not become an easy cash cow for those about to file for bankruptcy. It was a joke... fund part of a loan and 3 mos later see that inevitable "B" next to the status.

I did a spread of 50% AAA types and then scaled down into the real bogeys at E.

The company failed in it's due diligence responsibilities, it turns out only credit checked 1 agency, lots more. There was a class action actually, I ended up collecting like $50 ha ha, gotta love lawyers. Anyway, properly implemented this would work. Actually PayPal has started its own working capital thingy, bypasses banks completely. It's a rocky start but this kind of stuff is viable.

US P2P lending didn't cut out banks. They originate loans but the underwriting is done by issuing banks before the loans are repackaged into ABS and dumped on investors.

The idea of providing more credit is great. But in reality they have all incentives to push out new issues like iBank credit deals and thus creating credit bubbles at times.

Thankfully those P2P issues ain't rated by the big 3 so sovereignties and large institutilns can't own them. The p2p lending bubble is quite small. And highly illiquid.

p.s., Prosper just cut 28% of its workforce this week.

Last edited:

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I had a fairly big buy day today... Added a good chunk of GILD at 85.5, MU at 10, and a few UAL at 45.5 and FSLR at 52. Fairly heavy these days into a few guys like MU, TWTR, NFLX, GILD, AAPL, etc. Hopefully I'm not way off in all of these guesses but I'm feeling fairly comfortable buying companies like GILD at these prices, and AAPL at 93 etc. I'm hopeful of at least 10-20% returns by the time I'm done with them.

In my slow steady (REIT) account, trimmed off some CLDT at 22.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Twitter and use it way more than Facebook as it has much greater information value. But its inability to gain users during an election cycle is very concerning especially with #Trump2016 and #FeeltheBern phenomenon.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I like Twitter and use it way more than Facebook as it has much greater information value. But its inability to gain users during an election cycle is very concerning especially with #Trump2016 and #FeeltheBern phenomenon.

How are they ever going to monetize their users? I still struggle to see how FB does it long term outside of continuing to buy tangential products/companies, but I do see some path. With twitter I just don't see anything possible.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How are they ever going to monetize their users? I still struggle to see how FB does it long term outside of continuing to buy tangential products/companies, but I do see some path. With twitter I just don't see anything possible.

My guesstimate, using indexed ad impression counts on both Facebook/Instagram, is more than 50% of Facebook's revenues are from mobile gaming companies. Same **** 5 years ago where most of their sales are coming from Facebook gaming co like Zynga/Farmville.

Facebook is a mobile gaming play, just like Baidu is a Chinese spending on healthcare/drug/health related products play. And you know people love to play mobile games and Chinese love taking health supplements.

Twitter's ad impression is more diverse but then the conversion rate is lower due to more noise/bot accounts. They need to solve user engagement and acquisition problems before they can monetize better. Incidentally, Twitter is doing worse after they go full marsupial social justice banning potentially ISIS related accounts.

brokencycle

Reaction score
My guesstimate, using indexed ad impression counts on both Facebook/Instagram, is more than 50% of Facebook's revenues are from mobile gaming companies. Same **** 5 years ago where most of their sales are coming from Facebook gaming co like Zynga/Farmville.

Facebook is a mobile gaming play, just like Baidu is a Chinese spending on healthcare/drug/health related products play. And you know people love to play mobile games and Chinese love taking health supplements.

Twitter's ad impression is more diverse but then the conversion rate is lower due to more noise/bot accounts. They need to solve user engagement and acquisition problems before they can monetize better. Incidentally, Twitter is doing worse after they go full marsupial social justice banning potentially ISIS related accounts.

I'm going to guess those that get duped by ISIS accounts are some of the most likely to click on ads.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oops, looks like it started last night for non-preorders.

Hopefully I can give it a try tonight, otherwise I'll check it out this weekend.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sheriryana