• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
What would you do if you're sitting on half a million cash, don't need to spend it right away, but may become cash flow outlay in 3-5 years?

At this very moment with those stipulations? High yield savings until November.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for entertaining my question. This hypothetical money is in Vanguard money market earning a little over 5%. Just having some FOMO. The AI rally + interest rate cuts at year end makes me think getting in now wouldn’t be a bad idea ie buying bits of VOO.

Anyone into cybersecurity? CIBR

Also, just listened to this 😂
You've been given free access to this article from The Economist as a gift. You can open the link five times within seven days. After that it will expire.

Should you put all your savings into stocks?

Cheers

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lot to unpack here.

-- Dude eavesdrops on his wife's WFH biz calls and learns of pending merger.

-- Uses info to insider trade and make almost $2M.

-- Confesses to wife, says he did it for them, so she won't have to work so hard.

-- She tells her employer, who tells the SEC. Employer fires her, despite no evidence she was aware of the scheme.

-- He agrees to disgorge all the proceeds and is facing up to 5 years in jail.

-- She's divorcing him.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a Company, Innovator Capital Management that has these Buffer and Defined Outcome ETFs where you limit the downside but the trade-off is capping your upside. Could be worth checking into.

I know OM follows the Ritzholtz guys as well and they have had the CEO multiple times talking about their products but given I don't have money needed in that timeframe, I am either HYSA or the market.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lot to unpack here.

-- Dude eavesdrops on his wife's WFH biz calls and learns of pending merger.

-- Uses info to insider trade and make almost $2M.

-- Confesses to wife, says he did it for them, so she won't have to work so hard.

-- She tells her employer, who tells the SEC. Employer fires her, despite no evidence she was aware of the scheme.

-- He agrees to disgorge all the proceeds and is facing up to 5 years in jail.

-- She's divorcing him.

is it really that much to unpack ? seems like the takeaway is wfh poses some risk to sensitive info .

sure maybe the wife wasn't in on it but i'd argue it's still her poor judgment to have her idiot ex-husband around a sensitive work environment

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is it really that much to unpack ? seems like the takeaway is wfh poses some risk to sensitive info .

sure maybe the wife wasn't in on it but i'd argue it's still her poor judgment to have her idiot ex-husband around a sensitive work environment
You have no poetry in your soul.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I kinda wonder how most mergers don’t end up leaking in some way, what with the number of people who are involved

brokencycle

Reaction score
I kinda wonder how most mergers don’t end up leaking in some way, what with the number of people who are involved

It sure feels like they do all the time. I was part of a large tech company that did a major acquisition and there were rumors a few weeks ahead of it. The CEO was even asked at an all hands about the acquisition before it was public to which he obviously responded with a canned answer "We have no plans to make an acquisition like that, but if we did, I wouldn't be able to talk about it" and then there were rumors on the CNBC type shows a few days prior to the announcement.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone into cybersecurity? CIBR
I have a bit in WisdomTree's Cybersecurity ETF, though I bought in early '22, so it's about +19% in about 2 years - not particularly great (compared to some I got in VanEck's Semiconductor ETF around the same time, that's about +69% now). If I can find the cash for it, I might get some CrowdStrike.

Unrelated, buying Nvidia 4 times during '21 is starting to pan out. So is averaging down on PLTR in the same period.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There is a Company, Innovator Capital Management that has these Buffer and Defined Outcome ETFs where you limit the downside but the trade-off is capping your upside. Could be worth checking into.

I know OM follows the Ritzholtz guys as well and they have had the CEO multiple times talking about their products but given I don't have money needed in that timeframe, I am either HYSA or the market.
I wouldn't do it - it seems like a great deal (capping your losses), but you're always giving away a ton of upside. Sure, you'll have some down years, but given that the stock market averages 7-10%/year (depending on what data points you're looking at), it's not worth the 'cost'.

Only way I can see it working is if you're newly retired (or about the retire), and can't afford an immediate 10-20% drawdown

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m sorry for holding out on you guys.

But I can tell you that Tarragon is planning to make an acquisition of either Cardamom or Anise.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What would you do if you're sitting on half a million cash, don't need to spend it right away, but may become cash flow outlay in 3-5 years?

I am in a situation similar to this but not as much and the funds are currently invested in the Vanguard equivalent of QQQ and sitting on a sizeable gain. If I sell and transition to treasuries, we would lose a year of interest to taxes. Any ideas? Thinking just pay the damned taxes is the option here but an open to other suggestions.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@jbarwick Tax-loss harvesting?
Donations?
Munis? (as an alternative to taxable interest on the treasuries, I think I was looking into some tax-free cash alternatives at Vanguard last month)

Pay the taxes sure, but don't pay more than you need I suppose. I think the below may be applicable. (I'm assuming you're already maxing out all your other income-tax related savings.)

A wealthy investor at the 37% tax bracket is considering a corporate bond yielding 7% or a municipal bond yielding 5%.
On the surface, the corporate bond seems better. However, the corporate bond is fully taxable and the municipal bond is tax-free (assuming the investor is a resident). To find the after-tax return of the corporate bond, you could do the tax-free equivalent yield formula:

TFEY=CY x (100% -TB)

TFEY=7% x (100% -37%)

TFEY=7% x 63%

TFEY=4.4%

Your guide:

TFEY=tax-free equivalent yield

CY=corporate yield

TB=tax bracket

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads