• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tailors in seoul korea?

artofwill80

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting 2-3 pairs of flannel trousers in both mid and light grey from a tailor to prepare for Korea's harsh winter season.
Can someone recommend a place for me?

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting 2-3 pairs of flannel trousers in both mid and light grey from a tailor to prepare for Korea's harsh winter season.
Can someone recommend a place for me?

Bare minimum, you are paying 200 each and the quality of the flannel is not more than average. You're much better off getting flannel RTW from somewhere like Howard Yount. As a side note, I've made over a dozen orders from him, many well over the customs allowance for SoKo, and I've yet to get hit with a customs bill.

Another option involves sourcing your own fabric and bringing it to a tailor, but I've gotten hit by customs going that route before.

Unless you've got a tricky body type, I'd recommend going Yount over a tailor in Seoul. Wolf vs Goat also has an amazing pair of pants that I got for the winter.

oek736

Reaction score
I moved back to Korea a few weeks ago researched the available tailors extensively until I was satisfied. All of this research led me to choose Manchester Tailor in Itaewon. My bottom line was to get as many fittings as I needed, get the suit made exactly as I wanted, and for a price point that was reasonable in comparison to the quality. The other tailors that I researched led me to believe that one of these factors would not be met. To ensure that I had my bespoke suit made exactly as I wanted I wore one of my Brooks Brothers suits that I purchased in the U.S. four weeks ago. That was what I wanted. They really nailed it, it was made exactly as I wanted, and met all my criteria. The suit with two pairs of pants was 550,000 won. They shortened the sleeves on two of my U.S. purchased sports coats for free and I then had a pair of pants made that went with each sport coat. They are exactly like my suit pants but are of course different in color. These two pairs of paints ran me 300,000 won. By replicating the stitching, lining, zippers, belt loops, etc as my Brooks Brothers suits I am sure that I added cost. I wanted quality, received quality, it looks quality, and I am very satisfied. They are close to McDonalds in the International Underground Market. I thought it would be valuable for the community to comment on my experience.

strangedream

Reaction score
I moved back to Korea a few weeks ago researched the available tailors extensively until I was satisfied. All of this research led me to choose Manchester Tailor in Itaewon. My bottom line was to get as many fittings as I needed, get the suit made exactly as I wanted, and for a price point that was reasonable in comparison to the quality. The other tailors that I researched led me to believe that one of these factors would not be met. To ensure that I had my bespoke suit made exactly as I wanted I wore one of my Brooks Brothers suits that I purchased in the U.S. four weeks ago. That was what I wanted. They really nailed it, it was made exactly as I wanted, and met all my criteria. The suit with two pairs of pants was 550,000 won. They shortened the sleeves on two of my U.S. purchased sports coats for free and I then had a pair of pants made that went with each sport coat. They are exactly like my suit pants but are of course different in color. These two pairs of paints ran me 300,000 won. By replicating the stitching, lining, zippers, belt loops, etc as my Brooks Brothers suits I am sure that I added cost. I wanted quality, received quality, it looks quality, and I am very satisfied. They are close to McDonalds in the International Underground Market. I thought it would be valuable for the community to comment on my experience.
Was it a full canvas jacket Also, would you share some picture of Manchester Tailor's work? Would love to check them out.

Idreamofsakura

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but Itaewon scared me. That place is full of swindlers. I tried to have a coat done, sent a picture before hand and emailed them in Korean if they had what I wanted to my specifications. I get there, and nothing was taken into consideration. That includes Manchester in the basement ( 400,000 for cashmere and 390 for wool? something is up) Capital, Dynasty and two others. I didn't go to Saville row or Han's due to time. Sam's is probably the closest to it that I know of, but my friend got a suit from there... about 600,000 for Super 150, but it came out a big boxy (He's a Cornell alumni and gives discounts to people from there). In light of that situation, I was curious about 143 tailor behind the main road and looks DRAMATICALLY different from all the other places I've been to. Anyone been there?

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm sorry, but Itaewon scared me. That place is full of swindlers. I tried to have a coat done, sent a picture before hand and emailed them in Korean if they had what I wanted to my specifications. I get there, and nothing was taken into consideration. That includes Manchester in the basement ( 400,000 for cashmere and 390 for wool? something is up) Capital, Dynasty and two others. I didn't go to Saville row or Han's due to time. Sam's is probably the closest to it that I know of, but my friend got a suit from there... about 600,000 for Super 150, but it came out a big boxy (He's a Cornell alumni and gives discounts to people from there). In light of that situation, I was curious about 143 tailor behind the main road and looks DRAMATICALLY different from all the other places I've been to. Anyone been there?

All that you have mentioned at all MTM. 143 is no different. Savile Row and Hahn's are one of few that have their own in-house cutters.

Fyall

Reaction score
We bought several Suits from Mr. Lim's outside of OSAN and were pleased. Now we want to purchase some more, but can't find our contact information for him. Do you have it? An address/email/website? Thanks, "we want more!"

Zorigoo

Reaction score
Hi,

Has any of you heard about Harrison Tailor in Cheongdamdong, and La Barca Tailor. Are they good tailors? Which tailor has the best MTM service in Korea. Since bespoke is out of my budget, im interested in MTM suits.

Thanks

artofwill80

Reaction score
Mr. Claghorn,

You're info has been very invaluable to me.
Thank you very much.

I did manage to find a decent pair of flannel-like pants in the Doota shopping center near the Dongdaemun History Culture subway station.
It was a lucky find.

artofwill80

Reaction score
bespoke is out of my budget, im interested in MTM suits.

If your budget is around 750,000 won, there is a place called Tailorable Blue Label just outside of Itaewon that make full canvass bespoke suits.
Here are some of the photos of my navy herringbone suit along with the fittings. The material they used is Samsung Goldtex Super 100 with cupro lining.
They also have a web site http://www.tailorable.co.kr/

It might be better for you to see if Han's or Saville Row make full canvass suits. They're not bespoke, but they're about 150,000 won cheaper than Tailorable.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.