• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SWD Discussion Thread for Tailoring

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it. Lower stance is obviously more striking, ideally I would've liked the bottom button just a tad higher/closer to pocket flaps level but I think it works fine as is.
Sleeve length and shoulders look great.

Overall fit and silhouette look pretty spot on based on the references you posted, no?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it. Lower stance is obviously more striking, ideally I would've liked the bottom button just a tad higher/closer to pocket flaps level but I think it works fine as is.
Sleeve length and shoulders look great.

Overall fit and silhouette look pretty spot on based on the references you posted, no?
I basically handed my tailor my RL vintage polo coat and said "copy this". So yeah I'm satisfied.
20231104-125134-2.jpg

I agree on the button stance, it's different from my polo coat up there, it's why I was experimenting with lengthening the lapel line and adding some slouch.

CM seems to like the 6x2 a lot more than the 6x1 stance though. 6x1 apparently makes my legs look stubby and torso look super long.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah we tend to picture your waist to be roughly at the buttoning point so the proportions are a bit skewed with 6x1. I got it wrong on the buttons placement though, looks like your tailor actually moved everything up a bit too much so you end up having to do 6x1 to approximate your RL 6x2 but that's a bit too low and then it looks a bit unbalanced.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think if you want to do 6x1 you need the button all to move up but then the top one would look oddly high, so no real solution from me I suppose

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah we tend to picture your waist to be roughly at the buttoning point so the proportions are a bit skewed with 6x1. I got it wrong on the buttons placement though, looks like your tailor actually moved everything up a bit too much so you end up having to do 6x1 to approximate your RL 6x2 but that's a bit too low and then it looks a bit unbalanced.
Yeah I think I get it now, I never thought about the button point visually lining up with the waist on big coats.
I think I'll stick with the 6x2 config.
I think if you want to do 6x1 you need the button all to move up but then the top one would look oddly high, so no real solution from me I suppose
All good man, I'll roll with it as it's finished.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
check the guy’s account he has a lot rando old stuff (old doesn’t mean good but aesthetic might match), I would offer low if you see like 50% polyester jacket but just want for cosplay purpose

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
more rando, some are a bit off though (first one...)

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would change the button myself too, but if it doesn't bother you, keep it, can always do it later, would think some sort tone on tone (slightly darker shade) horn button?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads