• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SWD Discussion Thread for Tailoring

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn’t they send an email for customers to invest in the store? If you didn’t look to spend your credit then, I’m not sure what to tell you.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Surprised he's started a new venture less than 3ish years later.

He works as the creative director, so maybe he's not one of the founders. I just saw that he's associated with another company on a high level (meaning position).

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks @dieworkwear ! You sure know how to trigger me!

6304636D-83FE-4751-9F00-07302077CC10.jpeg

???

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s literally no truck! It materializes on your skin

the next guys will go one step further and remove the middle arrow !

BlakeRVA

Reaction score
We'll probably see more factory direct brands pop up from Romania, Portugal etc.

Why get paid $50 to produce a garment sold by Dries van Noten, Jacquemus, or Lemaire when they sell it for $800?

It's not that hard to hire someone to manage an aEsThEtiC InStaGraM and have English customer service.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why get paid $50 to produce a garment sold by Dries van Noten, Jacquemus, or Lemaire when they sell it for $800?
Purchase orders those brands write aren't for $50. They are for tens, or hundreds of thousand dollars.
Factories don't hold any inventory. That's low risk. Take order. Take deposit. Cut. Sew. Pack. Invoice. Ship.
Some people might think they can just go direct but most will find that they will run out of brand real quick.

BlakeRVA

Reaction score
Purchase orders those brands write aren't for $50. They are for tens, or hundreds of thousand dollars.
Factories don't hold any inventory. That's low risk. Take order. Take deposit. Cut. Sew. Pack. Invoice. Ship.
Some people might think they can just go direct but most will find that they will run out of brand real quick.
My Dad has spent the last 5 years working with factories in China and India to build a factory direct model for consumer products. Inventory is usually the biggest sticking point, but more and more factories are willing to take that risk because they see the significant upside of tapping into North American and European markets.

On the consumer side, I believe most consumers want the highest quality products at the lowest prices (obviously). Direct to Consumer was the first iteration of that - consumers no longer need a physical retail store or hands on experience. Most consumers will buy from an unknown store if there’s sufficient story telling, a professional looking website, and lower prices than traditional options.

The DTC brand is the final middle man standing between consumers getting the products they want at the lowest prices. Several factories will try and fail, but I anticipate a few will break through mainstream fashion in the next 10 years.

Smokeypete

Reaction score
My Dad has spent the last 5 years working with factories in China and India to build a factory direct model for consumer products. Inventory is usually the biggest sticking point, but more and more factories are willing to take that risk because they see the significant upside of tapping into North American and European markets.

On the consumer side, I believe most consumers want the highest quality products at the lowest prices (obviously). Direct to Consumer was the first iteration of that - consumers no longer need a physical retail store or hands on experience. Most consumers will buy from an unknown store if there’s sufficient story telling, a professional looking website, and lower prices than traditional options.

The DTC brand is the final middle man standing between consumers getting the products they want at the lowest prices. Several factories will try and fail, but I anticipate a few will break through mainstream fashion in the next 10 years.

House of Blanks and Rue Porter are examples of this in streetwear. Selling the same Supreme shirts and hoodies sans logo to the aged out hypebeasts of the world.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think most of these factory-brands are terrible at marketing, and the emotional component of clothes is dramatically undervalued among consumers, even enthusiast types. Notably, House of Blanks is only selling direct to streetwear guys cause some other companies did the heavy lifting with marketing, outreach, and creating the intangible value.

DTC brands often feel empty and soulless for the same reasons. The proposition is so sterile (as are the designs). I don't care about max-min quality to price. I want to feel cool in my clothes.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a set of Quince linen sheets, did not know about the Unionmade call back. I must be an aggressive turner in my sleep because I’ve worn out two sets of Parachute linen fitted sheets, and thought I’d try quince at a lower price. So far holding up admirably fwiw

BlakeRVA

Reaction score
I think most of these factory-brands are terrible at marketing, and the emotional component of clothes is dramatically undervalued among consumers, even enthusiast types. Notably, House of Blanks is only selling direct to streetwear guys cause some other companies did the heavy lifting with marketing, outreach, and creating the intangible value.

DTC brands often feel empty and soulless for the same reasons. The proposition is so sterile (as are the designs). I don't care about max-min quality to price. I want to feel cool in my clothes.
Most DTC brands don’t care about the products they’re selling. They’re first and foremost marketers who would sell candles, bouncy balls, or diet pills if they thought there was enough money to be made.

I think it’s more common for factories to be family businesses and they’re motivated by preserving their reputation, respecting the craft, or building a greater legacy for their family. Guidi comes to mind, but they’ve built a wholesale business so not quite what I’m talking about.

I think the ones who breakthrough will be akin to a vertically integrated business. They started as a factory, but they evolve into a holistic fashion brand hiring designers, sales/marketing, stylists etc. Current players like Rue Porter or House of Blanks don’t really do that - they’re still a factory that has a direct online sales channel as a piece of their business.

Lastly, I think the issue with Rue Porter or House of Blanks is they focus too much on who they’ve worked with or the pricing. “Supreme hoodies, but cheaper” is fine, but it doesn’t tug your heart strings like “Our family has been making the finest mens clothes for 60 years. I used to sit and watch my father as he diligently worked, amazed at his attention to detail. When I had the opportunity to go to college in America, I immediately knew I needed to carry on my families heritage. This is why I went to Parsons for Fashion Design. Since graduating, my family and I have been working to make a very risky move. We’re going to put our entire family legacy on the line by starting our own fashion brand. We’re nervous and uncertain what the future will bring, but we’ve spent the Last 60 years making clothes for luxury brands - making their dreams a reality. It’s time for us to stop following their vision and to start presenting our own. This is our take on the modern man. A refined wardrobe for every day life. We hope you enjoy it.”

Anyways, I just wrote that in 3 mins half asleep on my iPhone. It’s going to happen. 10 years or less.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vankteshsvami