• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

***SW&D Photography Thread***

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone carry an 85mm on a crop? How often is it useful? I was thinking of picking up the Canon 85 f/1.8, primarily for taking photos of surfers and such where my cheap 50mm's AF can't keep up. I might use the 35mm f/2 in more situations, but I already have a 24 and 50 so I can't decide if I'd rather have a telephoto.

Or I could just get nothing. The 24 is all I need in 85% of situations.

Assuming you're using a crop body at 1.5x I'd have thought 85 (roughly 130 equivalent on FF) would be too short. It depends how close you can get. A cheap option would be an adaptor and one of the better manual focus 135's (most of them are decent even on a modern sensor) which would give you roughly a 200 equivalent.

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. It's a 1.6x, so 135mm equivalent. It's not the only use I'd have for the lens, it's just the current need I have that my existing kit can't handle - I'm sure it would be great for portraits and even landscapes, and other things I haven't considered since I haven't really shot with a lens this long.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm finally getting around to using the Canon G15 that I picked up during a pre Black Friday sale direct from Canon. My first decent digital camera was a G5, so this feels a bit like coming home... I love my dSLR (Rebel T4i), but sometimes having a pocketable camera is a good thing. I took a short walk along the Municipal Wharf in Santa Cruz, CA this evening.

brunop

Reaction score

vaalbara

Reaction score
Finally got around to stitching together some of the panoramas I took this summer.

7 images, still trying to make that rainbow "pop" more

15 exposures -> 5 images -> 1 huge pano

I've also moved to Melbourne for at least the next few months.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So after years of searching I came across a nearly brand new Minolta MC W Rokkor SI 28mm f2.5 Thorium glass lens. After 46 years of radioactive decay the lens has a nice warm cast to it. Perfect for warming up cold color shots or adding a bit of contrast to black and white pics without using a light yellow filter.

Oh and here's something that I came across one evening. A double sun dog sunset with a partial 22 degree sun arc.

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Revisited an old pic of mine and wanted to give an impression closer to what I experienced when I saw the "scene" in person (might have been better with a bit less "effect")

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been on the road for the last two months (as of tomorrow) in Mexico and Guatemala, and these are some favorites I've taken. I'm very much appreciating the opportunity to shoot a whole lot more than I normally would be able to make myself at home, as I'm learning quite a bit as I go. Dropping into El Salvador sometime in the next week or so :)

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few more from Lake Atitlán in Guat:

I've been wishing I had the Fuji X-E2 camera instead of the Canon 40D I've been using, mostly for portability reasons but also because the 40D sensor just can't do certain things that I want it to. However, I'm not sure I can justify spending $1200 of my travel budget for the camera + 35mm lens, even when you subtract what I could get for selling my current setup, and additionally the 40D has been great to learn on since it can be pretty unforgiving and forces you to think before shooting.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been spending more on camera stuff than clothes later. I'm really enjoying the size of M43:

Mixture of Lumix GM1 and Lumix GM7 with the Panasonic 20mm on the interiors and mainly the Olympus 60mm on the flowers.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'Sup?

It's a shame that this thread died a bit, it was a place that taught me a lot and I really like it when it was more active. I'm still working at a lot in regards to learning how to be a decent photographer. Here are some shots I've taken in the past few months that stand out to me.

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was gonna suggest he was swindling us all and had taken a picture of an actual painting

tounge.gif

But that is truly amazing. How did you achieve that? And also, is that ToG wearing the Kubos?

Naka

Reaction score

I was gonna suggest he was swindling us all and had taken a picture of an actual painting   

:tounge:

But that is truly amazing. How did you achieve that? And also, is that ToG wearing the Kubos?

That is ToG, but I'll let Matt explain how he took that amazing shot!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads