• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kilo

Reaction score
Hi Andrew, I have a patant for sunglassas that are "State of the Art" and I'm still looking for a company that would License

the above. My patent is "Unparelleled" not only safer to the eye's rays, it Blocks Blinding Glare. Don't mean to get carried away.

I'm looking into "Maui Jim Sunglasses" they say they are a pvt. Company. Jake

LaymanX

Reaction score
Salt Optics and Serrengeti come to mind. My Salt Optics say they're handmade in Japan on the side.

InHocSignio

Reaction score
This thread should be called "Sunglasses NOT owned by Luxottica and not containing Chinese acetate".
Then you'd have a real difficult time on your hands naming brands.

What's wrong with Chinese acetate?

cthip

Reaction score

Where can you get Randolphs for only $30 to 60? I've only seen $130 and up.

AO makes basically the same aviators as Randolph for less than half the price.

tough to find randolphs for under $100 these days, but even at that price they're a steal. easily better than most glasses costing 3x more. i got mine from hidalgos.

i have a pair of AO as well, and i think they compare favorably to the randolph aviators. in fact, i might like my AO slightly better. at ~$45, they're shockingly good.

Last edited:

charlesanderson

Reaction score
American Optical is pretty good with some vintage styles... SomNoir does some really unique stuff but its more for dress than sport.

gusthenewf

Reaction score
Try Randolph Engineering. They supply the U.S. military and give a lifetime warranty on the frame welds. All of their glasses come with a case, screwdriver, and replacements parts. They come in sizes. They are mostly made in Randolph MA. I have several pairs.

miibiiiiii

Reaction score
Ok, i just did a little research and spoke to a well informed technician to back up my findings: here's what i came across.

Indeed Luxottica mafiosos own a lot and the CEO interviewed on 60 min is a dirtball who's philosophy of money making i do not support at all.

They do not own :

Costco (has a rx lens and frame store inside)
Wallamrt (same)

Brands:

Lindberg (i can attest to the fact that an irate customer thought that luxottica owned this danish frame/glasses store and wrote to the director of Lindberg who stated that they in fact are not owned at all by Luxottica

Somewhere online there is a review by a person who also purchased from Lindberg just to avoid supporting Luxottica's growing monopoly on glasses including vision insurance (can you believe it? crazy!) the only reason i mention this is bc on the google search is a short summary of the link and the wording makes it look like luxottica owns them bc two sentences are joined by three full stops( ... ) but if you go on to read the article, you'll see that he does not mention Lindberg as owned by luxottica.

Ok, so that is all i know.

when in doubt, just assume luxottica owns any fancy brand (which they most often do: Chanel, Tiffany, ....)

except Lindberg. Yes, these are pricey, yet i believe the titanium all around frames (of particular interest the lindberg frames: Smilla for me - yes, they are children's frames, but i have a small face - seem very sturdy and living in a very dry cold mountain climate plastic frames will not last many years like these light-weight titanium in which the metal has memory; that is if you bend them a little they spring back).

Another option is to go to costo or wallmart for relatively less expensive frames (as i said hard to find less expensive bc of this ridicululous luxottica monopoly which has infiltrated everywhere)

or buy some Japanese frames which are excellent - i know there are some online site(s). The Japanese have many local brands which they don't share with the rest of the world nor let huge monopolies take over either, having lived there, if you ever had the chance to visit an optical store there, their frames and lenses in my opinion are the best in the world - just saying from my experience. (politics aside) they have lenses which are not sold here either and the best quality lenses and frames i've ever had. there are even 1 hour optical stores in Japan which will deliver unsurpassable quality too. If you are fortunate to ever visit there, you can find frames that are out of this world- again, made locally and of the highest quality. i'll stop with my obsession of their excellent service... i was there from 02--05 so i know dollar is now hurting bad and yen is worth double sadly enough...

I hope my review was interesting.
look on e bay too...i 've seen some Lindberg frames sold there including some newer ones (not the colors i wanted) that you may like. Play around with searching, including some online stores. just remember if you're buying vintage frames, plastic ones usually don't last nearly as long as the metal frames, therefore buying vintage frames, you are safer buying metal frames.

Take care wherever you are!!!

Peace,

ssb

chelsiejj

Reaction score
Maui Jim is not owned by Luxottica. Also you should consider Smithoptics, Kaenon, Costadelmar, or native eyewear. All of these companies have no affiliation with Luxottica and Maui Jim is actually the only brand Luxottica sells of the ones I've listed. Maui Jim and Kaenon are going to give you the best quality along with the best customer service departments and warranties. I have had or still currently own at least 1 pair from each brand I've listed and I love all 5 Maui jims that I have. The customer service is unbeatable!!!

ryan24

Reaction score

Ok, i just did a little research and spoke to a well informed technician to back up my findings: here's what i came across.

Indeed Luxottica  mafiosos own a lot and the CEO interviewed on 60 min is a dirtball who's philosophy of money making  i do not support at all.

They do not own :

Costco (has a rx lens and frame store inside)
Wallamrt (same)

Your suggestion of avoiding Luxottica and shopping at Walmart is completely oxymoronic why avoid one huge conglomerate and support another.

Also, there are tons of independent high end optical lines that don't utilize Chinese acetates contrary to your earlier posts, most of these lines use Italian Mazzuchelli acetates. I am including a short list to help you out ;) Also none of these lines are affiliated with Safilo, Marchon or Marcolin the other optical powerhouses, they are all independent.

Mykita
Mykita Mylon
Dita
Thom Browne
Orgreen
Bevel
Barton Perriera
Lindberg
Anne et Valentine
Theo
Face a Face
Oliver Goldsmith
Claire Goldsmith
Caroline Abram
Undostrial
Lucas de Stael
Masunaga
Zero G
Salt
Robert Marc
Lunor
Gold & Wood
Chrome Hearts
Linda Farrow
Cutler & Gross
FreudenHaus
Drift
LA Eyeworks
Lafont
Italee
Ic Berlin
Maybach
Activist Eyewear
Alexander Daas
Andy Wolf
Rapp
Cartier
David Yurman
Entourage of 7
Eye DC
Etnia Barcelona
Feb 31st
Francis Klein
Hoffman
JF Rey
Morgenthal Frederics
Kilsgaard
Leisure Society
Sama
Matsuda
Massada
PQ
Res/Rei
Theirry Lasry
Harry Lary
Traction
Tom Davies
Volte Face
Vue DC
Gotti
Rigards

And there are way more out there. Look a little deeper and seek an independent optical shop :)

Last edited:

Isachenko

Reaction score
Damn, didn't realize there were so many indies left. I'm pretty happy with my Barton Ps, but now I gotta look a long list here to research, brand overload, internet burnout. #blogtweet

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads